2017 Pa Deer & bear updates.

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It was cold this morning but at least the wind settled down.
    There was four of us plus the four year old, it was his dad's last last day with him & back to moms this evening. One of them got a real nice doe this morning, she was big an alone, dressed out @ 110 lbs. He popped her in the neck so no meat was damaged at all.

Only picture I took today, natural gas pad. There used to be a blue stone quarry here, then they leveled it and put in a gas well pad. Actual wells are just to the right of the buggy. This one covers a couple of acres.

P1030108.JPG

The wells an valve trees are in the barricaded area.

P1030107.JPG

jacol84 likes this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Natural gas is the new thing I guess, free gas for all the mountain folks:p windy here again today ,but ok for tomorrow an sat I see. wife,s off fri so I will get to hunt then an sat morning. If no good I,ll get out the old 54 cal flintlock after Christmas as it,s ready to go.

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Saw nothing yesterday.:( Walking on fresh tracks a lot though.:rolleyes:

Today I wanted to walk around a reservoir property up on the mountain in 4c. I used to hunt it 20+ years ago. There was a big parking lot where most of the Appalachian Trail people parked, and a low road that I used to use. The low road area is now all posted with signs less than 20 yards apart.:mad: Going to a different spot in 5c, but one where a Mennonite family lives at the bottom of the hill. I suspect they killed a lot of deer in there last week, but it's one of the few places I have left to try. At least I can scout it for rubs and scrapes for next year's archery season.

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Don't I wish :p . Being over a thousand feet from a pipe line you'll have gas heat before I ever will :D , after all, the pipe lines go south from here........
    Got the call this morning, I can have day off!!

We bring all our deer to the neighbor's pole barn, with a chain hoist we let them hang by the head a couple of hours then we take them down, skin the legs, hang them back by the back legs & weigh em, finish skinning, burn the loose hair off with a torch, cut out the innie & outtey loins, cut the fore legs off an split em with a sawzall, upstairs to the rafters they go with your name tag. It's up to everyone to do what they want with their deer after that :D.

xcaliber likes this.
  5. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, what happened to that new small private land tract you acquired with the cornfield?

Oppie, cool thread. ;)

Oppie likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, I saw one doe (skylined) one evening. Other than that, squirrels.:rolleyes: They cut the corn down last Tuesday while I was in the stand.:( While I was in the woods, surrounded by White, Red, and Chestnut oaks, as well as a ton of beech trees (seeing squirrels, but no deer), I thought about the season, and since the end of September when archery opened, I have seen 20 deer, but I really think it was 16, with multiple sightings of the same deer. (Last day of archery season in 2012, I saw 17 deer, including the big 8 I shot 3 weeks later). Either there aren't as many around, or I must smell really, really bad!:eek:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Oppie likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Going to be hard to get out from under the covers in the morning with temps in the 20s :confused: I see breakfast ,coffee an a thermos to go before I hit the water. Suppose to be overcast after lunch I see an not good for spotting deer on the hills. this old boys days of being out before daylight are over :confused: more like bankers hour's now :p

jacol84 likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yep. If I saw deer at dusk like normal hunters, I'd sleep in too.:rolleyes:

Saturday morning, I'll give it one more shot. Big thermos of hot chocolate (after coffee at home), some good snacks, and my warmest clothes.;) Been out in worse.:) Still love to watch the woods wake up. Just wish I didn't have to get up so darn early to see it.;)

bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Most days last week we met up around 9 and tried to be out of the barn by 9:30, Yesterday we were done by 3, most days by 4 at the latest with a hour off for lunch. Bankers hours for sure :p.
    Think we have a 10 yr old that's not gonna make it to school tomorrow, deer fever :D but the little 4 yr old won't be back out, due to a shared custody thing. He was so much fun, I'm going to miss him.

jacol84 likes this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Best of luck Jeff, there's still a lot of Big bucks running, I've seen freshen scrapes and new rubs everyday. I agree, I love to watch the woods wake up also but I'm afraid I've lost most of that drive to get up an go. Morning's just aren't my friend anymore....

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Saturday, I won't have to worry about cocking a 290+ # crossbow.;) Much as I thought about that this year, and the way my back feels most days when I get up, it never was an issue.:)

Oppie likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I hear that :), I cocked one of mine by hand a week ago, wowser, forgot I was playing with Big draw weights, I've gotten to used to using a crank.
    I'm not going out today, broke my pellet stove door last night, time for a new stove :(.

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Ouch! ($$$).:eek:

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It happens :eek:, I'ts been bad for a while, I just finished it off ;).

I have a neighbor Lady that got a real smasher buck on the last afternoon of archery, I saw the head last week tied to the back porch so the dogs & bears don't carry it off :eek: but I don't have a picture. He was in the 175-200lb range with a good rack mass, he'd been hiding in a "no hunting" Christmas tree farm for and only came out for the rut.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Should be a tee shirt saying ( chasing the ladies can be hazardous to your health) :eek::p

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Oppie likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

And that's a Fact Jack! Her husband sure took it hard but he's also happy.
    She told me when she arrowed a doe the week before, the same buck came in but hung back in the brush. I like her more every time I talk to her :p.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

So my buddy knew I was stating home to replace my pellet stove today, he calls @ 8 am and need a small rifle for his sons friend :rolleyes:. So I told him I had one stop and pick it up. He comes back @ noon an say's it's to long, the kid can't see through the scope then tries to get me to come out & help him :confused:. I suggested he get gone before I took my rifle away from him. Rifle is a Remington Model 7 bdl Youth .243 with a Redfield 2-7 wide-field :cool:, they don't come much shorter!

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

She sounds like quite a gal! I,m glad mine don,t hunt ,I can only put up with women thinking for so long an need breaks quite often:confused::p

Good day on the river today ,but overcast an seen no deer again. seen a new one by seeing a pretty, dead horse laying on the rocky shoreline , bottom of it,s rear leg looked broke an all chewed up ,raw meat,bone showing. Mabye buzzards feeding off it as I seen some eating a dead deer today along the river bank.

Did have some good fishing today as I caught nice walleye,smallies,white perch.felt like snow all day today an calling for 3-5 tomorrow.

xcaliber likes this.
  19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Muzzle Loader Sunday, can't get out tomorrow for several reasons, most of which are Daughter / Wife related.:rolleyes: Anyway, time to get the snow blower ready anyway, so it's all good.
    Good Luck Folks, be safe / have fun / enjoy! ;)

Oppie likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member