2017 Pa Deer & bear updates.

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Whooohooooo! I managed to get through two weeks of Pa rifle deer season with firing a shot :p. Yesterday I put my wife in my favorite spot with her savage 340 30-30, deadly little rifle fo sure :D.

She shoots, she scores! My darling, Judy. Check out the little dimple on it forehead :) doe dressed out @ 95lbs with a nice layer of fat on her.
    Behind her on the right is a couple acres of standing corn on the left is a about 8-9 acre mill pond, the dam is straight down on the left side and the stone foundation of the old mill from the 1800's, makes for a perfect funnel loaded with deer.

P1030120.JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    xcaliber, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Congrats to your wife Oppie, judging from the size of the head, it looks to be a good sized doe.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Great shot! I wouldn,t want her shooting at me :eek: firing the old rifles not a parity anymore :p

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Congrats, Bruce and Judy. Sounds to me you are more of a guide than a hunter these days, and a darn fine guide at that!:D

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks for your kind words guys, I'm feeling like I've reached the last phase of hunters, Just enjoying the day an helping others out.

She came stomping up to me an said she missed but I just smiled an said we'll see, it dropped so quick but she saw the other 4 doe dive in the corn field with realizing they was 5 five of them.
    She never really hunted or shot until after we were married, then took to it like a duck to water. She kept telling me how much better archery season & hunting is. Shes coming over to the crossbow side quick.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    jacol84 likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

One big thing that's bugged me forever is these guy's I hunt with in rifle season pay no attention to the wind or scents, they never even think about it. We bow hunters plan around the wind an do everything we can to avoid scents. A couple of them swear you should never wash your hunting clothes but can't make a move without having a cigarette first :rolleyes:, makes perfect sense to me :confused: , not so much.
    '
    But like any good redneck half wit, I never tell all my secrets, they never even saw the really big bucks I saw in archery :p.

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Us rifle hunters were never very bright or learned much about deer till we started bow hunting :confused:but we could reach out an wack them at long range :rolleyes::p

Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

If I remember right almost every deer was less than 50 yds, all but one in was the woods. One fella was having trouble with his 6mm not ejecting empty shells so he brought out his "buffalo" gun :p 338 win mag o_O Browning A bolt, for a 65 lb deer :eek:. I'll stick with my 30-30 or 30-06.
    But, I did stumble on a black synthetic stock this morning that will fit my ruger 77 - 25-06, that one puts them down quick.

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I found out years ago that the middle caliburs 243-30-06 ,all in between are real drop on the spot deer killers with the right bullets. the 25-06 my favorite being a real drop on the spot hammer from all my kills with one.

10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I feel that way at times too Bruce, and love every minute of it.

Oppie likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

xcaliber likes this.