300SS In the Field

Discussion in 'Middleton Crossbows' started by Tim50, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I took the 300SS out for a walk Saturday. I have a few local natural ground blinds I hunt from in the area. I had forgotten how light & compact the 300SS is. It's a breeze to cock and with my 18" Accuspines and Slick Tricks I was ready for whatever the local wood lot had to offer! I really appreciated the short limbs & compactness of this little guy. When I constructed the blind in the summer I should have made it a little roomier! I did see a little 7/8 point buck, not a shooter, and a few doe. The weather was very warm for the last week of October. The rut has not kicked in as of yet....a cold front is supposedly moving into SW Pennsylvania this weekend. Sunday I took the 300SS to the yard and not surprisingly it was dead on...right where I left it!

Joe and Oppie like this.
  2. XBowAdmin

XBowAdmin <- Brad -> C/P Staff

Nice. Shooter? A shooter to me is a deer that I can't see spots on. LOL. I can't eat bone.

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Sounds good Tim. My 355 goes for a walk tomorrow morning.

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

6 pt. and 8 doe this morning. Didn't want to shoot the 6. Big mature doe would have caught one if the buck hadn't been watching her, but also looking in my direction. Have to fine tune the setup but good to be seeing deer again.

5. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I didn't get out today....I would have needed sunblock! Glad your seeing some movement!

6. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I'm on vacation now until the 12th. Hope to see my droptine up close & personal!!

Joe likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Active Member

I better see some pictures Tim LOL

Joe;)

8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Tim, I know you are a brush blind guy. This is a shot looking out of my new one. Sitting on the depression of an old logging road in the branches of a huge deadfall. I have a good feeling about this place. view looking west.jpg

9. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

Yep...I could call that place home!!! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
    Canoe13 likes this.
  10. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I like the natural blinds....easy set up ANYWHERE but this rain the last few days has had me thinking about a blind. I hunt fairly urban public property so leaving it in the woods is not an option. I like the idea of being somewhat dry but don't like the idea of carrying & setting a blind daily. Maybe if it stops raining the urge will pass! That cool fall rain rolling down my back isn't all THAT bad!!!!:rolleyes:

Andy likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Tim, I agree on the blinds. This property I hunt would be one of the few places I would trust the blind would not "walk away." In the meantime, I will just have to keep at it in my "Deadfall stand", looking at perhaps the only walnut stocked, Boo stringed 355 SS on planet Earth.

Attached Files:

12. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

Good looking bow....you did a nice job! That SS is a sure cure for the "Micro Fever"!!

13. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

Thats all i use is a natural blind don't have to worry about anyone stealing a bunch of sticks.
    I shot more deer hunting from the ground then all the hunting i did from a tree stand.
    One thing good about hunting from a natural blind if you don't like it just grab your day pack and move on.
    I have a blind i use for Turkey hunting shoot right through the screen lol lots of holes in the windows ..

14. Todd the archer

Todd the archer New Member

Speaking of turkeys, did you know in Pa. you can NOT hunt turkeys from a blind made from natural materials it must be artificial!

Todd

Oppie likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yes indeed. I stopped at the Pine Branch store today an pick some up for a blind.

16. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I always look for a NATURAL blow down to sit next to....This is without a doubt the craziest regulation I have come across.

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

X2 , They just logged the hemlock woods this fall, it's full of tree tops an stuff to hide in.

18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Im sure it's intended to protect hunters from "hunters" who think they can stalk turkeys and then shoot at movement. That said the only way I will be able to shoot a fall turkey is when I'm deer hunting in a brush blind. If one comes by in range, I'm not going to worry about the law too much.

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I suspect your right. And it supposed to be marked with florescent orange visible 360 degrees, or ribbon around a tree with a few feet of the blind or some BS like that!
    So I use a pop up blind, then cover it with hemlock an pine branches, so whats the real difference, except I stay dryer :D

"artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within the blind from an observer located outside the blind.”

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

They want to keep people from being shot like Shirley Grenoble was. I get the intent. I almost never see another hunter in my 4c spot and haven't seen a warden in 8 years, even in rifle season. In 5c it doesn't matter because you can't hunt them in the fall anyway. Spring turkey I'd use a commercial blind. Turkeys don't shy away from a newly placed ground blind the way deer do.