452x any good

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Masboy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I may have asked this before but I forget an get a clean slate overnight at times:p I have a full spool of 452x they sent me free in place of something I ordered an the were out of. any good for strings for my bows? as I,m low on string material an really can,t tell any difference in any I used so far that are d97,fury,Astro flight . anything wrong with mixing string materials an making strings for low power bows?

2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Frank, I've asked BCY the same thing and they say to use 452X for compound cables, but don't recommend it for strings. I made a string out of it but never put it on a bow.
    Hard to say how different materials with different stretch rates would react when mixed together. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Because it has a single strand strength of 75# you need to use 36 - 40 strands for a crossbow string. For the heavier draw X-Bows i would go 44 strands to keep the stretch down.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

It,s small dia an I just made a 40 strand an it looks great an about the same dia as my 28 strand d97. I,ll shoot it on my low poundage bows an not mix any material .
    Thanks guys!

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Let us know what you think of it Frank.

Jack Pine likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I will but the only difference I could tell in any of the strings I shot were my strings never stretched as much as the factory endless loops,Flemish an my brace height moved very little after the string settled in with my strings.

7. robertyb

robertyb Member

Last 452X string I had was on a Matthews Outback. Installed it and shot about 50 shots and then twisted string up to proper ATA and went to shooting. Never had that string move again and shot the heck out of that bow daily.

8. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

452x stretchers very little, 36 strands is a good size . Some think it maybe a little tough on limbs due to the lack of give but I've not had or heard of a failure like led to its use.......

9. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I was told the factory Matrix Endless Loop strings were constructed of D75 not D97 as told , This would explain the continuous stretching of the factory strings .

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I used a lot of 452X, then Trophy when I was making frankenbow compounds in the mid 2000s to around 2011. As others have said, very little creep. I could set the bows with hard dual cams up and they stayed in synch for a very long time. I've been told that the strings with vectran are tough on recurve crossbows, especially with endless loop strings. I would guess a flemish wouldn't be as bad. I got some Force 10, so I'm ready to try that.

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

All my stretch came from the old long limb factory bow strings as I,ve never had or bought a factory matrix string .
    Thanks

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Served it with .026 angel majesty an fired it an the first three shots leaning over my bench at 20yds. in a pretty good cross wind R-L an real happy with the 40 strand 452 x as it makes a nice round string an easy to work with. brace height staying the same so far on my short matrix limb bow. seems like less twang but I don,t hear well???? good as any I ever shot so far as I can tell.
    15739393-530D-4042-8337-6BEEC5F34AE9_zpsytdcutn1.jpg
    04CB3078-51F1-46F0-9553-E0B571661F1D_zpsf7llmnro.jpg

13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Consistent, not bad!

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I put this 52 x 40 strand string on my super vixen i been shooting an all I can say is wow! super consistent just like on my other bows. Don,t have it on my power bow but all my others will wear them .I see them second to non for consistent accuracy with my 20 inch ,385g vertical arrows from this bow ,seems like a fine all around string an a hole poker for me target shooting at 30 yards with the artillery hold from the bench wth my vixen . I all be buying more of it for sure .

8ptbuk, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Sweet, I might give it try too.

16. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I like it alot myself.

xcaliber likes this.