Accuracy,penatration

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Masboy, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Was out in this strong wind testing some arrows at 20yd an shot three different arrows all with 2 inch razors from my vortex.
    1 -20 inch zombie wt 420g
    2- 22 inch heritage 250 vertical arrow wt 402
    3- 22 inch max hunter 350 vertical arrow wt 345g
    Shot each one time at the same spot on my target an total group under 1 inch an all 1-1/2 inches to the left with the strong wind blowing R-L . so no difference in wind drift at that range but both vertical arrows had more penetration . next going out to 50yd an see what they do.

Wife's headed to Oklahoma an left yesterday an won,t be back till mon an mother outlaw went to Delaware with the wife's sister :D yea ha!!!!!!!:p

OldschoolBH, City Rat, Joe and 3 others like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Enjoy your vacation, Frank.;)

OldschoolBH likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I just shot at 50yds shooting all arrow 3 times each.no difference in wind drift as all were around 3 inches left. both vertical arrows were spot on for height an the zombie 4 inches low.
    3-1/2 inch group for the zombies 3 shot group.
    under 2 inch group for the 3 shoots each from the two vertical arrows that made one group totaling six shots under 2 inches.

For penatration the 345g max hunter an the 420g zombie had about the same an the 402 g heritage had more than the other arrows every shot. these vertical arrows are making a big impression on me.

4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Frank, what are you calling "vertical arrows"? What diameter, length, and material?

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Just in the vertical arrow section most time around 30 inches when you buy them that I cut to 22 inch for me ,carbon . I read he maxima hunter is .297 outside dia an inside .244

The inserts this size fit all the small dia arrows I shoot 350 max hunter,250 heritage that's a heavier gpi. an they both come In a stiffer spine than I shoot an a heavier gpi.i have a Lancaster archer supply book an shows most any arrow an gives the specs an great book to shop from.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

OK, I thought that's what you meant; cutting down a long arrow for your crossbow.

7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

On no, they left you home without adult supervision :D Enjoy your "alone" time :D

OldschoolBH and Joe like this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I need supervision! just like when I was a kid when my dad would go away too a trapshoot for a couple days. I would drive his tractor an trailer around the block,shoot his guns an ammo, get in his tackle box that all are a no!no!

When the cats away the mice will play:p no wonder my brother was always his favorite :rolleyes::p

8ptbuk, OldschoolBH, Joe and 2 others like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Some things never change :D
    I was supposed to chase deer for some neighbors today, BUT, my oil furnace started blowing smoke into the basement this morning so I'll be home all day waiting for the furnace guy to show up and fix it. It always something.

10. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Don't know all the right words for it from a physics standpoint, but it has to do with the spine/length doing a better job of retaining linear energy. Or something like that.o_O

Oppie likes this.