Anodized aluminum

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Must be a pretty hard coating as I made a couple front handgun sights for my 460S&W out of anodized Excalibur D bars ends. I copied my stock hi-viz front sight that,s spring loaded an snaps in a slot. I just needed a higher front because my rear sight was bottomed out an still shooting high. I made 2 an they fit,look great an now will have some adj on my rear sight. I had a hard time getting thru the anodizing with a file but finally did an easy after that. so now I have fine looking anodized front sights that look second to none.can,t wait to try them but raining out an kind of dark out an not good for open sight shooting.

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I think it's aluminum oxide, which is very hard.

xcaliber likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I guess I didn,t know what I was talking about like most times o_O:p but know it,s hard :p worked great as I sighted it in at 22-1/2 yards resting my hands on a bag. No more shooting real high with this load an open sights. my son an I were drilling a gal milk jug cap regularly off the bag then some free hand, I gave my son a shooting lesson buy drilling the cap free hand then quit :D:p

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I'm not a engineer or anytime even close, but that is some hard stuff. That's why old cross bows still look so good :).
    Glad ya got her tuned in, I hate having holding low with a handgun. I tend to torque my hand and hit left so I aim slightly to the right ;)

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

It,s a learning experience for me an made me a better handgun shooter shooting this thing. I learned many things like the same high grip everytime, total focus on the front sight ,keep the sight picture long as you can after squeezing the trigger as the hammer falls, most of all a slow steady trigger pull till the gun fires while keeping the sight picture.found out I,m a pretty fair shot with this 5lb great trigger piece long as I don,t yank the trigger :p I shoot nothing but open sights on it now as that,s my preference for handguns.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here, sometimes I pick up bad habits when I don't shoot for a bit. Like yanking the trigger an follow through. I know what I'm doing wrong but it just something I have to do to get it out of my system, then Look out!
    That's my story an I'm sticking to it :).