Another little experiment.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Jun 26, 2019.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, since my last thread, I've changed parts around again. Had to give the wife the lightest possible bow that would kinda fit her. If she takes to the shooting, I will make a stock for that bow, which used to be my 355 SS. My cranker bow now is all Excal except for the limbs. I can put Matrix limbs on it at the cost of about 10 fps and more noise, but if anything happens to this limb set, I can make the switch in a few minutes. Excal forward riser, Excal Apex rail (11.8" power stroke), old Vixen stock modified to take the C2.
    IMG_0742.jpg

I recently decided to get a dozen of Wyvern's Dragon Claw shafts. They are Black Eagles, I think very similar to BEEs. Not spine indexed. A dozen is only $64.99. Figured I would shoot them bare shaft (30 yards) to tune before fletching, as I don't have a spine indicator. On the pic, top target row, 1,2,3, bottom row 4, 5,6. Shafts 1, 4, 5, and 6 all needed turning. Looking a the pic now, maybe #2 should get turned 180 degrees, as all the others are in the bottom right section of the circles. I marked them so I could keep track of the rotation, now I'll mark what seemed to be the best side, and fletch. I guess this either works, or I will have to build a spine indicator.;)
    IMG_0743.jpg
    Also you can see my attempt to make a bag target out of a large tote. Worked for a while, but #1. 4, and 5 were shot several times and the penetration is getting into fletch damaging depth. Can't stomp and turn it like the ugly bags I have been using, so I guess it's either pony up the big bucks for a Spider Web, or return to the 20th century where I have been stuck for quite a while.;) I did try a Hurricane 25 "bag" target, but after several pretty tough pulls, and one lost insert/point, I returned it to Cabelas yesterday.:rolleyes:

bbahunter, xcaliber and Jack Pine like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good looking rig! looks like a shooter also,anything that shoots bare shafts like I see 3 of them arrows is a real shooter ,well tuned forgiving bow!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

Looking Good Jeff. I'd mark those nocks and locations on the shafts as well but you know how I am about nocks.

You could always make a light weight double sided wood frame target. Both of mine work great.I could have used thinner lighter plywood.This is just what I had. The smaller one I have in the basement isn't near as heavy as my big one. If I were to take it somewhere one of those little fold up luggage hand trucks would work great. Stops the Ripper at 7 yards or so shooting through the chrono. Rotating the sides and aiming spots. Easy to unscrew the lid and repack or adjust though I haven't had to. Been using it a couple of years now. I'd guess at least 300 shots. 0622171623.jpg 0622171623a.jpg 0622171747.jpg 0622171748a.jpg 0622171938a.jpg 0622171949.jpg 0622171951.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  4. Stalker

Stalker Member

Hows it coming with those shafts Jeff. Have you got a chance to fletch and shoot them? I'm curious about the specs of the shafts? How do they compare to Zombie and Executioner shafts stiffness ,straightness wise etc?

5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I ran into an issue that had to be bow related (something loose). May get to the range tomorrow. They are .001 straightness. All I have at the moment.

Stalker, bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  6. Stalker

Stalker Member

I hope you got it figured out. I hate when that happens! I looked them up on Wyverns site. I saw they were .001, 9 gpi like the Executioners. No mention of the Stiffness compared to the other BE shafts. I'm guessing weaker since they are cheaper but only a guess. I dont see any other reason unless he is sending cheaper components with them? I'm guessing his price is with inserts and nocks? are the inserts installed?

I bought these from Full Quiver Customs back in 2017 off Ebay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Doz-16...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 Some say they are BEE shafts. They tested the Same as BEE shafts spine wise but didn't have the .001 stamp on them. They looked just like Bee's as well. They were not spine indexed like the add claims though. I had first cut them down to 19 " and put 4 inch vanes on them. They shot ok but the Vanes were easily torn off so I refletched them with some 3" AAE cavalier vanes. Put a 125 gn head on them and they're around 447gns. Shot them out of the Ripper the other day. After swapping and rotating nocks etc. This is the best group I could get after a lot of trying. Not sighted in for them just trying to use the same poa with them which also means holding over a little as well. Not too bad but some of this may have been luck. The end of the shaft falls a little short of reaching past the end of the rail but they will still be fine with Swhackers if I ever use them out of the Ripper. Chronoed at 383fps which seems a little high compared to what I have been seeing but I only took 1 shot. 20190629_143807.jpg

7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, much better today. I will post pics when my mail delivers (iPad and iPhone are inches apart, but delivery takes forever :rolleyes:). Phone pics are too big to post here. Only thing I can say about the shafts is when I asked Dave what the difference between the DCs and BEEs, he just said the DCs were cheaper.

8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

D8FBC72E-EEFB-4712-AB77-837273992699.jpeg
    93F023B1-347D-4CD5-A414-4ED30CC849EE.jpeg

After shooting Friday, the scope seemed to move a bit when I tried to see if something was loose. Tightened up rings, mount, trigger box. Nothing seemed that loose, but the problem went away. In the bottom pic, the 2 on the left are field points and the 2 on the right are 1 Ramcat (top) and one Grim reaper practice head. I was shooting off my Ready Shot, not a solid rest. I think they will work. I will shoot all of them with bheads before hunting of course. The curve also put xx75s in the bottom of the spot without moving the scope, so it’s more/less ready for my first post surgery shoot with the c2. I only fletched 6 of the dozen with my favorite 3” Fusions. I also took Little Franky over to get dialed for the July 9th shoot. Backed off the limb bolts 3 full turns (nice to have pivoting limb pockets). That bow is just too fast for some of our club’s targets at full power (355 FPS). Sighted in at 30, shot at 40. Top arrow on top pic was with the scope set at 325. Dialed it back to 315 for the bottom shot. Calling it good. I will shoot 3D with bloodsports, they hit right with BEEs. I plan to crank it back up when I’m healed up. For that I have Gold Tips with alpha nocks . Definitely feeling better than Friday.:)

bbahunter likes this.
  9. Stalker

Stalker Member

They look good Jeff. I shot the 19" Full Quiver Bee's again today. This time with 100gn heads. Their weight spread isn't very good but they seem to group great. 420-423gns the 420 gn chronoed at 390. The groups dont seem to be much different 125 vs 100gn. May try the 125gn 2.25" Swhackers this season:D I'm pretty happy with them. Might have to sight them in now:D 20190702_144115.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

IMG_0755.jpg

My toys for this summer. The "Mostly Excal" is ready for fall too. Little Franky will get 3 turns in on the limb bolts and resighted. Oh, my wife took 3 shots with her bow today, and said "I think that's enough for now." It's gonna be a process.;)

11. Stalker

Stalker Member

Everything with women is a process as I'm sure you know Jeff:D. I took mine bass fishing one time. I put her on a 4lb large mouth in like 10 minutes which she caught. Then she was ready to go:eek:.

Anyhow I sighted in the bees or what ever they are in today with 125gn heads. I'm happy with them:D 446-447gns at 380 fps out to do the job with a 2.25" Cut Swhacker 20190703_111440.jpg

bbahunter, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

That accuracy looks outstanding, Paul. Georgia deer beware.:D

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

1A487525-E75D-41A5-9049-A4FD67AC5418.jpeg

Paul and others, I don’t know what any real difference there might be between the Dragon Claws and BEEs (other than $9). For me, it’s nothing to worry about. Shoot the same at 40, I’m :D. That’s Ready shot moa for me, and I can c2 that bow to get back in the game sooner.:) Only thing I will do is epoxy the inserts in. The blue ferrule tite doesn’t seem to work well for this arrow/ insert (pulled 2 out so far). MEPB is locked and loaded.;)

bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

Nice shooting Jeff! I like $9 cheaper! Might have to pic some up when needed.

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  15. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Hey Jeff, that c2 would work with the grey ghost also correct?
    I bet the grey ghost would shoot those dragon claws well also. ;)

16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, you are right. I took that stock to make a more comfy shooter for Susan. She has taken a grand total of 3 shots with it so far.;) I may order a bow that I think would fit her better, and reclaim that stock.;) If I do that, then the Patriot working parts are going back into the thumbhole so I can crank it. I'm really interested to see how the Dragon Claws shoot from that bow compared to the Tapps. Sadly, it will take some time before I can find out.:(

As far as the rest, the rail and riser from the Ghost are now being used for the "MEPB". The DTM limbs just make it a little faster and quieter. I should probably just change my username to "parts shuffler.":rolleyes:

Jack Pine, Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  17. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Your having fun, thats all that matters. ;)
    You have a nice stable, maybe add a nice mission sniper or 320 for susan?
    You could adjust the stock for her comfort.

Stalker likes this.
  18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, she probably needs a Hickory Creek Mini-Inline, but it would have to be left handed. Add a crank for that (I don't think those can really be that easy to cock unless the limbs are backed off a good bit), and it's just too much $ for an experiment. May just go with one of these. I could see having one for a basement shooter to keep in practice.:)

ATTACK_265_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Stalker and bbahunter like this.