Another Red Neck string catcher an other projects.

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Oppie, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s the advantage of not being real bright ,I can do whatever I want an don,t care if it works or not,or if I distroyed it :confused::p

Joe, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I love reading this, and hope you too get a chance to hunt with the young man and share some knowledge. I just hope i ain't too old to go with my grandkids!

Joe, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Learning by doing, It's the best fellas. The guy with the most broken tools wins in my opinion, he uses them damn things!:D:cool:

Oppie likes this.
  4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

When i was a young pup my Brother Ed knew everything about cars. I picked up a nice Camaro from one of his buddies that was getting divorced, a steal really. It needed some suspension work to haul around my girlfriend, and a buddy with his gal too. It had wide tires in the back, but the shocks, and leaf springs were not upgraded. My brother bought the leaf springs for me, and the rear shocks, told me to put them on. I put the leafs on upside down. He laughed his arse off, and said, now you will never forget the right way to put them on! He was so right!;)

Oppie likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

True that! Some of us are hard learners, I learn things the hard way usually :D but I do learn!

xcaliber likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Same way I feel, Dan. Took all 3 sons hunting. None of them goes anymore. :( The youngest, who was my hunting and fishing buddy just a few years ago, wants to live in a city when he graduates.:rolleyes: We are expecting our first grandson in June. Hope I can get him interested and can still get around well enough to get him started.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I agree guys, it's tough today. Both of my kids enjoyed hunting through their teens, now they are both so busy they don't have the time or the money for licenses anymore. My daughter is working two jobs ,her boyfriend has never hunted, my son works 6-10 hr days every week, things change and someday they may hunt again.
    With time constraint's an raising cost it's so hard for kids now.

That was always my daughter's dream, now she lives near Ithaca Ny and would love to find a way into Cornell University but that's a expensive dream....

8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Can't remember if I posted this picture or not, anyway it's one of my neighbors with his grandson's first deer, glad I was there to share it with them.

1-P1020639.JPG

jacol84, Joe and xcaliber like this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

There is no greater reward as a hunter than seeing the first kill of your trainee. I have had the pleasure of two brother in laws first deer, and my apprentice's first deer, and several after that. Many deer have passed by me while I had someone out with me hoping they would get a kill, and it felt better than if i had taken them every time.

Stalker, Joe, Oppie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Agreed! When I hunt with these guys one of them likes to give me a hard time for not taking a deer when I see them, he just doesn't understand that I don't care!
    Rather see someone else tag em, think this year we should two young guys with us.
    They forget, I'm a bow hunter!! We're different :).

Stalker, xcaliber, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Alrightie, got her cleaned up nice, then I coated the bottom of the riser and screws with string wax, then put a couple dabs of Jb weld around the holes an reassembled the raiser on the rail then snugged the screws down. Every so often I gave the screws a quarter turn or so, then when I took it apart I have threads thru the rail right into the riser an a very nice fit, Glass-bedded recurve :p, shoots nice too!

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds good! You done a good job , not like my first rifle glass bed the action job,I missed plugging one little hole in the action on my 300win mag an knocked the handle off my bolt trying to get the bolt out :confused::oops::p

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I had a friend who glass bedded a Weatherby 257 magnum. Forgot to use release agent.:eek:

Oppie likes this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I can think of a lot more things that went wrong than right in most of my tinkering :oops: glad to hear of more out there like me :p

15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Anyone who's never made a mistake has never done anything. I often say I wish I could do things right the first time, but it doesn't usually work that way.:oops: Frank, knowing you made not only Shorty, but also Bextrix, Noxtrix, and the others, I think you are doing very well.:) Having cocked Brian's Patriot a few times now, I'd say you also must be pretty strong to use those bows of yours.:D

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My brother glass bedded a Savage 110 and missed the release agent on the Lug screw, woops! Locked it up :rolleyes:.
    I cheated an used a torch to briefly melt the string wax on the riser and screws just to make sure the wax flowed in the the threads and cracks all got a nice even coat. The Jb weld instead of being smooth has the wax pattern on it.
    For the inquiring minds I'll get a measurement later today and a picture, cause without pictures, it didn't happen!

jacol84 likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I was told that by a teacher in high school, and it became one of my life's motto's.

jacol84 likes this.
  18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Same here, I have a whole lot of broken tools in my garage!:D:cool:

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I checked excal riser height an got 0.989, mine after Jb is 1.06 thick, that raised my riser up about .07 and brought the limb tips center-line up almost even with the rail. Should help with serving wear an limb stress, maybe :p.
    Now I have Jb threads thru the rail into the riser.

1-P1020888.JPG 1-P1020889-001.JPG

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

"If it isn't broken, fix it till it is."