Another string test...

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Jack Pine, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

LOL, one of my favorite questions to ask myself is "What would happen if...", so I decided to do some further testing and made another string with no conventional serving, it just had regular string material woven into the center. I wanted to try this idea last year on some crossbows but everything I had, had the dreaded, serving-shredding brace mark across the rails, so I ended up trying the idea out on one of my MK crossbows. I didn't expect this to go too well and was in a state of shock when I reached 100 shots and it was still functional. Long story short, I continued on to over 1000 shots and pulled the string apart to find that it probably could have gone 2-3 times that long.
    SO... I decided to go ahead with the idea on Baby Huey with his 270 lb draw and brace mark to see what would happen. So I twisted up a new string to try it out and will keep you posted on how well or how bad it goes. Frankly, with that brace mark, I'm not expecting much, but we'll see. This string is a lightweight 90 grains, while the Danny Miller factory e/l string is 6 grains lighter, so speed should be comparable. Anyway, I'm going to start test shooting today or tomorrow and will keep you posted; I don't know what to expect. string test.JPG
    I abused last year's test string by never waxing it at all, and only applying lube to the center every 50 shots, but with the light weight of the string, brace mark and poundage of this bow, I'm going to wax the center every 25 shots to try to keep it together. I don't really have an explanation why I'm doing this, I have never had problems with serving separation, but I sometimes do crazy things no one else tries.
    I already tried this test once with Huey, using Kevlar thread woven into the center, and had accuracy issues. I don't know if it was the light weight of the string, but it was plain to see that the Kevlar was not acting the same as the string material itself, and that could have been the trouble. Keep you posted.

Delta-Stan and jacol84 like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looking forward to it! Just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean there,s not a better way out there. thinking outside the box gets things done sometimes :oops:

3. bunyip slayer

bunyip slayer Active Member

I was only sorting out some of my archery gear,i forgot how many strings i got of you cal! I've worn the serveing away on one of em!keep up the string experements!your strings are great!

Delta-Stan likes this.
  4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Got to shoot a little; have to refletch, before I can shoot more. Here's what it looks like after 15 shots:
    15 shots.JPG
    Got a new toy; a decibel meter, and wanted to see how loud Huey is. Doesn't seem loud to me and I really can't understand all the hysteria over crossbow noise, but to each his own. This is clapping my hands directly in front of it.
    hand clap.JPG

This is shooting Huey directly in front of it. I don't know what is considered loud but I will say that Huey seems MUCH quieter than my Middix.
    Huey shot.JPG
    Ideally, what I would like to accomplish with this string testing is, to convince Excalibur to stop putting brace marks across the rail, unless they are laser marks that can't be felt. I HATE brace marks on the rail. If the string is in the position it's supposed to be in, you can't see them anyway. Any brace mark belongs on the side of the rail, and all that's needed is a dimple IMO.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi........

Just a question, it might be a stupid one but I haven't reserved a string yet and I got no idea how to make them.

If I got it right, you've taken some regular string material and woven it in.

What about using some string-serving material and wove it in ?

be safe

Stan

6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Thanks Phil, I think you have more than anyone in OZ!!

Delta-Stan likes this.
  7. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

That's actually a good question Stan. In fact, I have someone testing one like that now; has Halo Spectra serving material woven in. Sent it off a few days ago and haven't heard anything back on it yet.
    I also tried the Kevlar as I mentioned, and it held up OK, but I had accuracy issues with it for some reason. When the string was drawn and locked, it looked OK, but when the string was fired, the Kevlar didn't seem to want to return to its original position; sort of wadded up or something. Hard to explain. I want to get some smaller diameter Kevlar and try it again though.

8. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Cal........

I never worked with Kevlar but years ago we had body armours made of it.

What I noticed on our BA, the Kevlar insert was very "slippery". Maybe that is the reason why the material doesn't stay in place, it could move a little bit "inside" the string.

be safe

Stan

9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Someone I know owns a company that makes components out of resin-impregnated Kevlar, and that's exactly what he says; Kevlar is "slippery" and it takes special resins and processes to get resin to "soak in". I have another string around here somewhere that I wove in some fine diameter Spectra fishing line, but I haven't tested that myself. So many bows, so little time LOL.

10. bunyip slayer

Off topic here,but i was watching last night one of those pawn shop shows on tv,and a bloke wanted to sell a kevlar pistol proff vest.they said kevlar has a use by date and after time looses its bullet stoping strength.that's after 5-10 years probably.not a thing to do with strings tho!sorry Cal!

11. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi.......

Sunlight and sweat is a killer to Kevlar.

be safe

Stan

12. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Sent 35 shots through today for a total of 50. Still holding together. Pic at 50 and then rewaxed, ready for 25 more before waxing again. Looks like new after waxing it down again but I'll take some of that wax off. It was cold outside and didn't want to work into the string.
    DSC00342.JPG DSC00344.JPG

13. DeerBoy_NC

DeerBoy_NC Member

Cal, I'd love to do a dB test with some different strings. Do you still have one of my 3 bundle strings? Just wondering if it is any quieter than any other. I think maybe the extra twists would absorb some more vibration, but I also think string material would impact sound the most.

14. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I still have the one you sent me Keith, and I tested it for speed but I didn't have the decibel meter then. If I need a brace adjustment, I'll put it on and give it a shot. FYI, your string weighed in at 102 grains and shot my rig [Baby Huey + 460 grain arrow] at 293 fps, only 1 fps slower than the lighter 84 grain Danny Miller e/l string. Good string!!

15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

You got my curiosity up, so I set up the decibel meter and put your string on. 65.3 and 65.4 was what I got at a distance just far enough to keep the limb from hitting the meter.

Since I had the stuff out, I moved the meter out 10 yards and got 38.9, and 20 yards out 37.5 and 37.7. I had some breeze today and can't honestly tell if the readings I was getting at 10 and 20 yards were accurate since they are so close together. I think the 10 yard reading probably is. I didn't go any farther out because then I wouldn't be able to tell what it was reading; the wind, the sound of the arrow hitting the target, or the sound of the shot.

Compared to my reading with my test string on, your string is a trace quieter, but I can't say if that's from the weight of the string, the construction, or the material.

Got 75 shots on the test string now.

B&R likes this.
  16. bunyip slayer

Cal,just let you know I've useing three of your strings at the momant.one I've had on the 415,
    they DO stop "streatching"quicker then the factory strings i found.

17. DeerBoy_NC

DeerBoy_NC Member

Thanks Cal...yeah measuring noise accurately is tough. And I don't think there will too much difference in similar strings. In fact the variation between them may be "in the noise" HAHAH!

Might be a difference between Dyneema and Dacron. But the strand counts vary so much......hard to say I guess. Anyway, I was just curious and since you have the dB meter.....
    Thanks for indulging me.. Oh and if you do more tests, please keep me in the loop.

18. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Shot # 225. Got a few minutes to smell the roses, so I put 5 flights of 5 through Huey this afternoon. I hate to admit when I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the brace marks have no real effect on the serving at all. Looks like most of the damage is from the claws. But I still hate having the brace marks on top of the rail!! None of the yellow/green of the string itself is showing through yet, so I'll keep shooting when I have a chance.
    225.JPG

19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks like a piece of tore up meat but you get more shots on it than I do one of my good servings :confused::p

from what I read I see lots that say the brace height lines are hard on there servings . I have never seen any marks from the lines or ever worried about them on any of my bows. the claws are the killers for my servings with some over cocking that I have a habit of doing don,t help.

20. bunyip slayer

On my man kung stringer is a tube of plastic.do you think cal ,a small tube of plastic or something that can stay in place .i guess it would slow the string down a bit.i think i taked about this before a year ago ,cant remember!