Arras?

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by jacol84, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I agree Dan , I just found at Lancaster archery I buy zombies,executioners already fletched ,brass inserts,nocks ,blazers ready to shoot in 20,22 inch for 37$ for six an hard to beat. I shoot the Blazers or refletch with razers an there fine arrows out of the box. the time I buy shafts ,brass inserts,nocks it comes out about the same as any arrow shafts I get ,an shoot about as good as any arrow I can make. If they don,t shoot field points,broadheads great for you better look for other problems as they shoot great from low - high power bows for me .Be it lazy or what I believe what I just said :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Stalker

Stalker Member

I shoot aluminums and carbons.I like them both.:eek:

Easton carbons warp! I dont think they are 100% carbon.The Black eagle and other 100% carbons seem to stay straight.

I built my own spine tester before I started fletching my own arrows.Reason being all of the talk on these forums about spine indexing.All of my bows take moon nocks.I could see the poi change when rotating to a different cock vane.

Then I stumbled across turning the nock 180 degrees.It changed my poi as much as 4"at 30 yards in some cases! It was the nocks making the poi change and not the spine! Not all moon nocks are this bad. Black eagle aluminum nocks and non lighted Firenocks seem to be the best as far as concentricity goes.No poi change when turned 180.

Spine indexing does seem to help.I spine index my aluminums and carbons.The fusion line in the aluminums seems to make no difference.I know getting rid of the junk Easton moon nocks and other none concentric brands sure did!

Here's a pic of my spine tester.Rude and crude! But it tells me where the stiff part of the shaft is.Petty easy to make.Cost me about $25. $15 for the dial indicator and ten for the bearings. I made the weight out of a 3lb dumbell I stole from the wife that I cut and a joist hanger lol. It finds the same spine on shafts marked by Jerry at SSAS.:D 103_9015.JPG 103_9016.JPG 103_9009.JPG

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice I like that! I,m a Easton fan, but no fan of firebolts.

4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I love it, used to do all that, then the Carbon sort of took over, and honestly I just got lazy using them. I truly admire the folks still using the aluminum arras, but Carbon has won me over. I have killed my share of whitetails with both, and found that for me, Carbon needs less attention. No matter which, I always "Qualify" my stuff before shooting at an animal I wish to kill quickly!

jacol84 likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

When I got back into archery in the early '90s, I used both Eastons aluminum and CAE X-Caliber arrows. They were thin walled alumium with 3 grooves running down the length of the arrow to stiffen it. Used to have a hand held straighter that you squeezed to straighten the shaft, and I looked down those grooves to check the straightness.:eek: (Back then, my eyes were good enough to do that.;)) The original Gold Tips looked like a noodle if you rolled them across a countertop. Also used "Talyor Taperspeed" arrows, which were an adventure. Used the skinny Bemans for many years. Most guys back then worried about carbon splinters in deer meat. I was mainly trying to go lighter for more speed without using an overdraw back then. With a crossbow, at least the ones I'm shooting now, more arrow weight is good. Less noise and easier on the limbs, I'd think. I have plenty of carbons right now (5 sets of 6 for 4 bows), so I don't need more arrows, but I do think I'd rather shoot 3D targets with aluminum than carbon, so Lancaster may get an order anyway. I am concerned about Stalker's comment about junk Easton nocks though. Unless I build some new strings for BABU, Firenocks aren't going to work. Any good moon nocks for aluminum? I could try Omnis, I guess, but I finally got the center serving down on that bow, and the serving is pretty thick now, but lasts for hundreds of shots.:) Ah, there's always something.;)

6. Stalker

Stalker Member

Firenock makes moon and flat nocks.The "M" nocks use Orings to fit any size shafts.Their moon nocks.I'm not sure what the flat nocks are called. Their pricey but work great.Here's a video I made with them on some 2219's.

xcaliber, bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Great shooting, and thanks Stalker.

Stalker likes this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good shooting! you better back up a bit,your making me feel bad with that wheel bow :p

Stalker likes this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Darn good shooting!

Stalker likes this.
  10. tpcollins

tpcollins Member

Looks familiar. I shot at a spike up north one year and didn't see that 4" tree in front of it. Afterwards I cut it down and brought it home, sealed it with varnish, and set in on the shelf.

I should have put my tag on it.

11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Patriot fixed at 40.jpg
    Long story short. My mistakes and incorrect conclusions. Bow and arrows are shooting great.

Two on left are field points, three on right are broadheads. Don't want to rush into anything, but I think it might be time to recover that bag target.;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Stalker and Jack Pine like this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Great post Jeff! good shooting, I know I,m guilty of not keeping my hands together tight to the rail at times pulling even to cock the heavy bows more so. good reminder to keep our arrows flying strait an more so with fixed broadheads . high alert now on my cocking even as I tend to forget what I have learned over time :p

13. Stalker

Stalker Member

Jeez! And you guys think wheeled bows are complicated:eek::D.Glad you got it figured out! Nice shooting!

14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Don't judge by me. I can make the simplest tasks look quite difficult!;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Stalker likes this.
  15. Stalker

Stalker Member

I got these off Ebay a couple of weeks ago.I won the bid and got them for $15.53 with free shipping.

As it turned out they had all the inserts and moon nocks vanes were damaged.They sent 14 of them instead of 12.Four were labeled differently.They had the Horton name on them but also said powered by Carbon express.The other 10 also had a Horton labels but said assembled in the USA. I believe they are all CE shafts. 13 of them are 2219's and 1 was a 2216. Some varied a good bit in weight due to inserts I guess because all are 20".

A friend sent me some Ep 40 arizona vanes to try. I fletched up 4 and was able to coax some pretty good groups with them today at 30 yards even with the wind swirling just using a rest.They weigh in at 446-449 gns with 100 gn points.

I guess their kinda like a box of chocolates you never know what you'll get lol.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horton-Alum...344996?hash=item5449cbc964:g:52wAAOSw44BYM27s 0623171353b.jpg 0623171401.jpg 0623171412.jpg

jacol84 and Jack Pine like this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Look good to me! your shooting too good with that wheelie you need to change something :rolleyes: shoot some full length vertical arrows in that wheelie at them dots,you may be surprised one way or the other :oops::p

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  17. Stalker

Stalker Member

I dont own any vert arrows:eek:.Your right these big 1" and 2" dots are making me look good.The old Horton Legend pro wheelie is good:p.I'll have to post pics at 1/2" dots if it ever stops raining.That will be the test for the arrows and shooter:D

18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Don't believe it's the "big" dots, I think it's the shooter and a good, proven setup.:D How is the Sniper compared to your tried and true Hortons?

Stalker likes this.
  19. Stalker

Stalker Member

It hangs right there with them:D Along with the Barnett.. First 2 pics are Sniper groups.Then Penetrator groups both at 30 yards.

Double walled Tapps for the Penetrator with aluminum nocks.Single walled Tapps for the Sniper.Both right around 425- 426gns. 345-355 fps the Barnett has a slight edge speed wise. mms_picture(8).jpg Vanes Sniper Camera tripod 009.jpg 0611171107.jpg Driving Tapps 027.jpg Driving Tapps 029.jpg Driving Tapps 021.jpg Driving Tapps 034.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  20. Stalker

Stalker Member

I was running out of room for drying vanes and storing arrow.So I made this rack yesterday.

Holds 119 arrows nice and neat.I think I'm going to like it.Seems like its actually going to save some space.Measures 10.5"x24" 100_2921.JPG 100_2909.JPG 100_2913.JPG

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.