Arras?

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by jacol84, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That is one fine arrow box! here,s my system :p
    9864C1B2-0339-4E2C-9984-F1EE753B1050_zpsewlckrrm.jpg

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

In honor of Cal and Stalker, I just placed my order for a half-dozen bare 2219 shafts. Cutting them right in the middle will work for at least 2 of my crossbows. Got the firenock M too. Also got 6 big cut (3 blade/2") heads to test out. I intend to shoot 15 target 3D shoots this summer with the 200# recurve and BABU. Hoping the alumium pulls easier than carbons would.;)

Stalker likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

I hope they work out for you!The shortest I have shot is 18.5 "

I made 3more arrows out of the cheap Hortons I got. These were the CE shafts.I think the rest are Victory's but I'm not sure.

Anyway when I removed the stock inserts in them the paint/finished turned a neat looking copper color from the torch so I left it.I'm calling them Copperheads lol!

I put in 35 gn inserts.I decided to make them as heavy as I could for the fun of it.Add another 30gns for the Lumenoks. Another 30 or so for the BTV vanes.With a 170 field point they weigh in at 567-569 gns.

Got them halfway sighted in with my Summit 150 at a whopping 224 fps. Ought to be fun watching the arch with the Lumenoks at dusk.

I'd like to make a video with them at about 50-60 yards 0702171630.jpg 0702171552.jpg 0702171614b.jpg 0702171352.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

3D pair (1).jpg BABU Alum 30.jpg BABU Alum 40.jpg

Well, I got my 2219 XX75s from Lancaster last week. Being the cheapskate that I am, and knowing that 16" or so arrows would work well for this pair of would-be 3D bows, I measured and cut them exactly in half, which was 15 13/16" shafts, and got a dozen out of 6 long shafts. As Cal said, I cut them with a small tubing cutter (plumbing dept. at Lowes). Used my case prep reloading tools (burring tool to get the "pinch" out, .308 case trimmer to square the ends. The .308 trimmer was a very tight fit, so it should be reasonably accurate. Went with the Firenock M nocks that Stalker recommended, as I've experienced somewhat loose accuracy with BE moons, so I didn't know if that might help. BABU shot pretty far off (high left) from where it had been with the GT carbons, but seemed to shoot really consistently once I got the scope dialed in. Second pic is at 30 and third pic at 40 with my 4X non-adjustable scope. I used 125 gr. points, and I'll try 100 gr. next time to see if I can get it on at both distances. Not sure if you can see the middle arrow in the first pic but the fletching is ruined by shooting and having to pull it through the target at 40, so there's the downside of short arrows, I guess. The little recurve, I reworked the stock to take out quite a bit of weight in the back, and moved the grip angle back and shortened it. It now cocks so much easier for me without the point of the grip digging into my knee! Feels good to me. Really light, but with the buttstock skeletonized, it holds like it's heavier in the front than what it really is. Got it shooting on at 20 with a tight 6 O'clock hold, and seemed to be on with a tight 12 O-clock hold at 30, but I had to stop shooting so I didn't ruin any more fletching. Club targets are just not stopping these well enough. Next trip, I'll have to take my own target along. So far, I really like the XX75s. I'm not sure if we have a 3D shoot tomorrow or not. There were no signs up today, but it used to be every Tuesday from July 4th until September. Have to check the web site. If so, the pile of junk parts gets the call, and the recurve may go next week.;)

Stalker, bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  5. Stalker

Stalker Member

Glad to hear there working out for you!

I've been messing with these Ebay Hortons shafts.Not sure what some of them are but I know their not Eastons.The finish on them is terrible.I had one that was so bad I just sanded all the paint off.

I'm calling it my Silver Bullet arrow lol! Just in case I run into a Werewolf in the woods:eek::D.I cut it down to 18.5" and it actually groups good with me 18.5"Eastons

I'll keep it in my quiver just in case :eek::D

Fletched 4 more with SK300 vanes and they do ok out to 30 as well.Didn't have the scope sighted in for them so 3 out 0f 4 are high in the pic.

All in all not to bad for a little over a dollar per arrow.:D 100_2960.JPG 100_2966.JPG 0709171512.jpg

Mathew57 and jacol84 like this.
  6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I got some aluminum off fleabay that are all black; definitely not XX75; good enough to fling at varmints, but not target quality. Hope you like the XX75's Jeff, I find them more accurate and reliable than any carbon I've shot.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

Were they the old Horton shafts? 4 out of the 15 they sent me were CE shafts and better than the rest which I think are Victory's but I'm not sure. The xx75's are better though.But for a $1 I'm not complaining.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horton-Alum...344996?hash=item5449cbc964:g:52wAAOSw44BYM27s

8. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I don't know what they were but they aren't as soft as those made by the C. H. Ina company. Don't compare with the Eastons but I'd buy them for flingers for $1 for sure.

9. Stalker

Stalker Member

I was hoping these would be Eastons since they had Horton labels on them and Easton made arrows for Horton at 1 time.
    As it is. I ended up with 3 different sets of 4 that group together after some work.1 silver bullet arrow. 1 that I bent trying to get a insert in and 2 that I haven't messed with sense they don't match the weight of any others.

I got 2 new packs of the G5 small game heads a while back on sale for next to nothing so the little critters around here better watch out!;):D

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

25 yard turkey.jpg 35 yard deer.jpg

Welp, went to my first 3D shoot in 5 years today, and my first with a crossbow. I took BABU, and it did one of it's adorable BABU things, and was shooting to the right of where it shot just yesterday.:eek: I'm actually good with it, because I can finally lay to rest the idea of maybe hunting with this crazy thing. I'd so love to shoot a deer with it, but it does these phantom POI changes and I never know when they are coming.:confused: Just not going to take a chance on a live animal. That would be the day it happens, and I just won't take the chance. The turkey target was my clue. 25 yards and off that much. Next target was a deer at 35-37 and I just hit the right edge of the 8. I started aiming on the left side of the 10 rings when I could see them well enough. Had 4 8s, 4 Xs, and 7 10s for the 15 targets. I have to be honest and say I did just barely hit several 10 ring lines. Now, the good part was, the XX75s did great. The club had all Rineharts out, so most arrows pulled right out with no trouble. I use a piece of latex tubing slit open that I put on the arrow shaft to pull out the stubborn ones, and I only had to use it 3 times (fresh targets, not in frequenlty hit areas.) I like the arrows, and will be shooting them with the little recurve the next time I go. The deer target was my best shot today. 35 yard X ring:D.

Jack Pine, bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  11. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Looks like fun Jeff, sounds like your xx75's are doing well for you. ;)

jacol84 likes this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

HB @ 40.jpg HB 100 gr. @ 60.jpg HB 125 gr. @ 60.jpg Hollow Butt recurve.jpg

So, I went to the range this morning to prep for tomorrow's 3D shoot. Nice morning, no wind. (Hope I can shoot tomorrow, as the forecast is for hot, humid, and T storms.) Put the scope on here and leveled it up. Also have a bubble level on the left side of the riser. That seemed to help. The scope has lines out to 60, and the club has targets out to 60, so... I sighted in at 20, 2nd line was right on at 30. At 40, the third line seemed very close, maybe a hair low, but the bottom shot on the first pic, I aimed right where it hit after the two bottom of ring shots in the middle and top rings. I was shooting the XX75s with 100 gr. points. I decided to see what it would do at 60. Second pic is 100 gr. at 60, the third pic is 125 gr. at 60. Not sure the spacing on the scope lines is 100% accurate for this setup, but it's darn close. Maybe with carbon arrows and brass inserts, it would be right on. Really liking the XX75s so far. The hollow butt 'curve is my heavy black SS limbs with the 10.75" rail, probably pulling 230-235#. Gives up speed by dropping the 1" of PS, but it still is plenty quick. Since I set the stock up for me, it works really well. Seems to shoot better than I'm holding, but I guess we will see about that over the next several weeks.;) It weighs just a hair over 6# as pictured. I'm sure I could hunt with it if I wanted to. I also have the factory stock/rail ready to bolt this front end on, and gain 25 -30 fps or so. Ordered a Guardian this morning for that setup. I won't risk these limbs to a brain fart dryfire, so an extra few ounces is meaningless to me. Also got some Spitfire Double Cross heads coming from C/T classifieds. The Patriot might make a big hole in something with those.:eek:

bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That is a sweet looking little rig! what a pleasure to shoot it sounds like an doing fine with the xx75. I look at it like this big long heavy bows like the vortex are for target shooting,power bows for hunting, a rig like yours for everything an the bow that would get used the most .

jacol84 likes this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

Lookin good!

jacol84 likes this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Cal, what kind of broadheads do you shoot? Just Spitfires, or something else too?

16. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I think about any 3-blade mek will do nicely, I just happened to get a deal on Spitfires, so I bought a bunch.

17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Hey there good people, not an attempt to hijack your thead but did you happen to see the blue tooth tracking chip for arrows with your phone ?
    I think they're not for me, I'd have to get a Phone first!

jacol84 likes this.
  18. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

LOL yah, me too, and arrows are a lot cheaper than a phone.

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

For sure! I only have limited experience with blue tooth devices, but any little thing seems to whack the signal out.

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Those nocks would go well with a $3000+ motorized electric bike to hunt farther away from the truck!;)

Oppie likes this.