Arrow testing

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Masboy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was testing carbon express heritage vertical arrows that are 33-1/4 inch long from nock end to end 0f 100g tip, aluminum nocks in both ends,2 inch razer feathers,buff tuff coating,spine 400 ,weight 483g as tested ,straitness .005,wt per inch 10.91 ,outside dia .287 . I shot these at 25yd resting my hand on a sand bag an the forend setting in my palm (artillery hold) light wind an the two arrows I tested were shot from my vortex with a 4x Nikon scope. I never shot a more accurate forgiving arrow as each arrow kept poking the same hole each shot an sometimes making it just a bit larger.

I then got out a bare shaft one an shot it with all the same components except the razer feathers an it hit 6 inches off ,low an entered the cardboard target alittle sideways tearing a long hole on entry. I can,t believe a arrow that shot that good fletched shot that poor bare shaft. I had tinkered with the fletched ones before tuning them an now thinking mabye I can turn this bare shaft some an mabye get the spine of the arrow up or down an centered on the rail may help an will try that .if not I don,t care as they are the arrows I would want to shoot for some fly killers :p

2. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've never done any bare shaft shooting. It has always sounded kind of scary to me:eek:. I do plan on giving it a try though.

I made up 3, 18-9/16", 2219 GG II shafts with some 2" Norway vanes Jeff sent me and 60gn aluminum inserts.Prelim shooting went pretty good at 30 yards with out really sighting them in out of a Horton so I made a 4th. With the smaller lighter vanes they came in under my target weight of 450gns at 444.5gns with 100gn heads:D I think they will fly good with 100gn Swhackers.

I dont know if their up to fly killer status though. I usually use Bee's or Spynal Tapps for that :D 20180208_144103.jpg 20180203_173531.jpg mms_picture (800x600).jpg 0818171909.jpg 0818171916b.jpg

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

lol! Look good too me! Fly killings for my pet arrow that,s shot over,over an sighted in for :p I have a hard time getting more than one arrow with the same poi like your dot killers.the way your arrows shoot dots you should be fine with bare shafts ,my 20 inch bare shafts with 92g brass inserts,125 tips seem to fly the best with executioners.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  4. Stalker

Stalker Member

Believe me, I have a hard time too! I always seem to get at least 1 odd ball In every 3-6 arrow group I make or more. Know matter how precise I try to make them.:confused::eek:poop:

Just like this batch of 4. 2 hit really good.Close to same hole at 30 yards. 1 was about a 1"-1.5 off. Turned to another cock vane a got it down to 1/2" - 3/4" off like in the pic. The 4th I haven't shot yet.I spine indexed the shafts but that doesn't always make them shoot the best:confused: ;)But is a good place to start.Then again I may get lucky and make the arrows look better than they are with my shooting and fool myself every so often:eek::D

jacol84 likes this.
  5. Stalker

Stalker Member

I gave the 4th arrow a try today. It has a different brand nock on it."The green one" This was the best group I could get. Not sure if its the nock or arrow.Rotated to a different cock vane and this is the best that it did. Looks like I have a couple of odd balls in this group. Not to bad though. 20180212_133439.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Not bad as most would be happy as a pig in poo with that. takes great arrows shooting to hit dots like you do at 30yds . some say they can hit dimes all day long at 40yds :rolleyes: I know your good arrows will an would like to see others shooting dimes at 40yds. :oops::p

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

Yeah when I read some of those 'All day long" comments I know they were shooting all day log to hit those dimes lol. Most reticles will cover up a 1"dot at 40 much less a dime size.So how do they know how to aim? The scope I was using in these pics pretty much covers the 1" dots at 30.Thats my excuse any way!:D Not the best scope for dot hunting:D

jacol84 likes this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m just the opposite of most hunters as I love fine crosshairs on all my scopes. I just mounted the 1x4 Nikon African on my noxtrix today an sighted it in. It has a nice fine crosshair I like ,but have to keep things centered on account of parallax.whenever I can I aim at other arrow ,bullet holes or make some as targets for my shooting an a believer in aim small miss small. today I was aiming at arrow holes at 25 yds with both bows, an the same at 22-1/2 yd aiming at bullet holes with my handgun that makes big holes :p

9. Stalker

Stalker Member

I'm the same way and like the fine lines! I have 3 Horton/Hawke 2-7x32 scopes At 350 fps the mag is about 5x.The lighted versions have nice fine lines for killing dime size dots.The non lighted still has good mag right around 3x at 300fps which is about what that bow is shooting but the lines aren't as fine as the lighted version :( Still Works better than my Hawke 1.5-5 x32 though.