Baby striper

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

son caught this today 32 lb an some others the other day .i have a house forsale sign in my yard,looks like Tenneesse is where I want to move too

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Congrats, Nice fish!

3. robertyb

robertyb Member

Looks like he is having fun.

xcaliber likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Some awesome fish, kinda jealous ;). All we have around here is high brown water, makes it tough to do anything.

xcaliber likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Be nice to to take a trip down to visit my son an help him out :rolleyes: daughter wants to buy my home ,wife don,t want to move south :rolleyes:( wife stays an lives with daughter),I go live with son in Tennessee an fish,hunt for a few years :rolleyes::p I will take my daughters 2015 Silverado 4x4 in trade on my home as she,s thinking about a new truck :rolleyes: a plans coming together :p they all been complaining about my house for sale sign,mabye a deal can be worked out ,they can get the house ,get rid of me :oops: let’s make a deal:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::p

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    xcaliber likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Sounds like a solid plan Frank.:p:D

7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

You certainly taught the young man how to fish, Frank.:D

8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nice!

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The North branch of the Susky looks angry and chocolate milk colored again, it ain't looking good for river fishing again this year. I was fishing a buddy's pond last week and the water was brown, fish would only hit on shiny spinner blades. Even my pond is muddy looking and it's spring fed :(.

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Heading out this morning after this fog lifts ,hope it,s not too dirty as the the river graph shows it has dropped down to almost normal river level. they say bad storms coming this afternoon ,may get a few hours in I hope.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

River not bad at all other than fogged in this morning as I got halfway across ,visibility went too almost zero :confused: I was lucky after getting off course some an came to a tower i knew .I then made it to the other side of the river .nothing but catfish again today ,trolling,casting.my homemade lures out fished everything I tryed ,I had a nightcrawler on my chatter blade, swimbait hook rig as a trailer some an a 3 inch gulp swimming mullet with f2 yum shad scent on it most of the time ,catfish loved both.it got hot out !!!!!

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I was at a large local pond Wed. evening, the Osprey that lives there caught more fish than I did :( but I had a 20 mph east wind blowing me across the water at a pretty good speed :eek:. Only thing I caught was a really nice stump and a couple of under sized logs :rolleyes:, no keeper's :p

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! I,m down too catching catfish an getting hung up. if the catfish stop biting I will be just catching the bottom:confused::p

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

if not rainy,windy I may go out in the morning for some catfish trolling . as long as they bite I,m fishing an don,t care what they are.only thing I get catfish slime for a foot or two on my line after catching one. don,t know if that scent affects walleyes biting it or not.i,ll run into some walleye sooner or later as the times getting close . soon I will be going up river in the fast water getting away from all the boaters for smallies that are my fish I can count on getting them.

15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same, guy ask me if I was trout fishing the other night and I just laughed an said I'm after anything that'll bite.
    I hate hunting or fishing in the rain these days but it never used to bother me, guess I'm maturing some :p.

16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

lol! I know the feeling . I would like to see you guys come down sometime for some smallie fishing ,I could just about guaranty some fine smallmouth fishing ,with plenty of fish an some bruisers mixed in . you could flyfish,cast ,troll or anyway you want to catch them. I know where they are an all you have to do is catch them:p

Oppie likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

It keeps getting worse:confused: I was out on the river this morning ,water looks great. I just came in from walleye trolling (I mean catfish trolling) I could not even catch a catfish ,all I got was carpo_O I,m not even a catfish fisherman now:confused: guess I,m a carp fisherman now,they were everywhere there an even grabbing my spoons,snagging others.next trip I,m heading up river for smallies.

Oppie likes this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Carp are spawning over in the warm water discharge ,flopping all over along the shore,on top the water, under the bushes.just hard to get a good shot at at them .no sign of any carp in the creek that the river water backs up in yet.most times around June 1 the spawn is on in the rest of the river.nothing more exciting than shooting fish as you get plenty of action .just plain fun with the crossbow as there deadly accurate .i like when there swimming along an you have to judge where to hold an let er fly.you can shoot instinctive but I use a big hole Williams peep sight for accuracy.i,m heading to the warm water discharge flat for some carp shooting next trip.

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good luck! Still got brown angry water in the susky here, and it's not looking any better this next week with all the rain coming.

20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Got catfish??

NEW STATE RECORD FLATHEAD CATFISH RECORDED

HARRISBURG, Pa. (May 7) – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is excited to announce a new state record flathead catfish!

On April 6, 2019, angler Jeff Bonawitz, 54, of East Lampeter Township, Lancaster County launched his boat from the Muddy Creek public access area located south of Lower Bear Island on the Susquehanna River in York County. Fishing in 22 feet of water, Bonawitz baited a live bluegill onto his medium duty 8-foot spinning rod and reel fitted with 25-pound monofilament line. The soon-to-be-record catch occurred at 2:30pm.

"We had already caught several 30 pounders to that point, so it had been a good day," said Bonawitz, who was fishing with his friend, Brian Bruce of York. "We were running low on bait, so I decided to use the biggest bluegill we had left. I had a bite and let the fish toy with it for a few minutes. When I finally pulled, it just bent the rod straight down. I could tell it was big. It kept hanging down deep and when it finally came up to the top, we thought it might be a mermaid," joked Bonawitz. "I've fished the Susquehanna for years and I've never caught anything quite like it."

Following a 25-minute fight, Bonawitz brought the fish aboard his boat. After taking some initial measurements, Bonawitz suspected it could be a contender for the state record, which had been previously set in 2006 when a 48-pound, 6-ounce flathead catfish was caught in Blue Marsh Spillway in Berks County. Unable to immediately locate an operational certified scale on which to weigh the fish, Bonawitz kept the fish alive in an aerated container at his home until the following day. On April 7, the live fish was officially weighed at Columbia Bait and Tackle located in Lancaster County, where it tipped the scales at 50 pounds, 7 ounces, unofficially setting a new state record for the species. While the fish was measured at 45.25 inches long with a girth of 31.25 inches, Pennsylvania state record fish are judged only by weight, and must exceed the previous record by at least 2 ounces.

As is required for state record consideration, Bonawitz contacted PFBC law enforcement officials and arranged for an in-person identification and examination of the fish. Waterways Conservation Officer Jeffrey Schmidt conducted the inspection and verified the weight. A completed state record fish application including color photographs was reviewed by PFBC officials and confirmed.

Upon weighing and measuring the fish, Bonawitz with assistance from his nephew, Dylan, 8, released the flathead catfish alive back to the Susquehanna River beneath the Wrightsville Bridge.

"It was such an amazing fish," said Bonawitz. "I thought the best thing to do was put it back so that maybe the next guy could catch it. I have a feeling this record may not last very long."

catfish.jpg

Stalker, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.