Baby's been sickfound

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My little baby squirrel has been sick an thought he wasn,t going to make it.he never has jumped from anything an started getting his claws caught in everything even after being trimmed . then could not even climb,slept a lot, squealed if you even touched him in pain ,walked on his ankles of his front feet.most came on quick an I felt so bad for him:(

I finally figured it out buy checking all the symptoms on the computer an found it was metabolic bone diesese. lack of calcium in diet causes all that ,so gave him emergency treatment of calcium an in a few days my sweet baby boy is getting better an playing with me,climbing all over.says it could take up to a year to fully recover. I love my little boy an so happy for him,an thank God for prayers answered

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. robertyb

robertyb Member

Glad to hear that you were bale to figure it out and save him. :)

xcaliber likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My baby ,the whole family is happy now that he,s getting back to being our playfull baby boy.
    image.png image.png

Munch007 likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Glad you got him on the road to recovery, now you'll have to get him a small bone or deer antler to chew on.
    Get well soon little buddy!!

xcaliber likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I have a deer antler in there an he won,t chew on it .i did order him some special food for squirrels in captivity. never jumping I don,t think he would ever make it on his own . I take him out an let him in our pear tree but he don,t go far an sits on a limb chewing bark.i play squirrel with him everyday letting him climb an try to get him to jump short distances but he won,t.we had a dog that wouldn,t bark an now a squirrel that won,t jump.

6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

A squirrel that won't chew on a deer horn, you've really spoiled his furry butt!

MI_Bowhunter, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

He,s getting better everyday but hard to fool him an get him to eat his food with the calcium mixed in it.he,s laying behind my moms head on her chair mad at me because I won,t give him a plain nut :p
    8FD942D1-5352-4439-AF38-7D0D86EE811E.png

Munch007 and xcaliber like this.
  8. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Will he gnaw on an eggshell?

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

No I tried but he,s real picky.i have a big bottle of calcium carbonate pills but he detects it when I grind into powder an mix it with anything be it nuts,fruit,ice cream his favorite:pi finally got him to eat it today on his cashiews by not grinding everything up an just wetting the nuts an coating them.l out thinked that little squirrel brain today:p:D

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Squirrel out brained me :rolleyes:now he,s peeling the outside skin off the nut with the coating on it then eating the nut:confused::p

robertyb likes this.
  11. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

If he likes candy, try giving him a whole fruit flavored Tums or similar to chew on.

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I tried he won,t eat them either ,he did chew on the egg shell a little today .

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Maybe some crushed up eggshells mixed in some peanut butter?

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Neither would touch peanut butter.is unreal how he can detect just alittle in anything .

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That surprises me cause most animals seem to love peanut butter, I hate the stuff but that's just me. Fussy little guys aren't they.

xcaliber likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, best mouse trap bait around really.