Best product for inserts?

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by jacol84, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I have been using low temp hot melt for my inserts, as I don't really shoot foam targets. Later this year, I plan to shoot some local 3D shoots, possibly with the oversized points to help with pulling the arrows out, but I don't want to leave inserts and points in the targets. What have you found that really works to keep inserts in? Thanks!

2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I had good luck using low temp hot melt as long as the field tips were a smaller diameter than the arrow shafts, As soon as I tried a larger diameter tip I started losing some ! I've now switched to JB Weld which works great .

jacol84 likes this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Mike.:D

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I tried some gorilla super glue, nope :(. My 18-1 target eats every third or fourth insert & tip :eek:.

jacol84 likes this.
  5. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I use the gorilla glue blue top on my inserts, so far so good.

jacol84 likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

i use Max Impact from AAE, it has a flexible rubber ingredient in the formula, and so far it is the best I've tried. Expensive however, Black Eagle has someone making the same insert glue for them, and I can it cheaper through them, so I have to try it soon.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  7. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

9. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

I use the glue I got from Jerry when I bought my Tapp shafts. I haven't lost one yet knock on wood and even when I shot wood like my fence lol:eek:

bbahunter likes this.
  10. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I hear that glue is real good, but it is probably something from the big manufactures re-labeled, but i may be wrong.
    ;)

OldschoolBH likes this.
  11. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

It's black and probably from some supplier that Jerry uses. He also said Gorilla glue's flexible super glue is good too.

12. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

The problem with glue is: They have a shelf life, and i don't care how good it is, if it is past the shelf life, it is useless.

Joe likes this.
  13. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Yes, it is probably made by loctite then, i had that stuff for easton axis arrow inserts.

14. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

c15371f5a493bd4ece564c00de0e15f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldschoolBH likes this.
  15. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Stuff I got was in a plain bottle. Is the shelf life decent on this stuff?

16. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Probably not. lol Keep in the fridge, thats what i do. seems to help with some glues. Heat, humidity, and sunlight are not good.

17. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did PM tryinhardarcher on CN as he is a national/world level 3D shooter. He said he shoots factory bloodsports, but he said to make my own, the key is prep and suggested a steel brush to clean the shaft first.