Bow tiller ?

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Ragumup, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Ragumup

Ragumup Member

Hi I’m not sure it’s even called that but if one limb is working more than the other when cocked how do you correct that ?

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

It is not easy. If that is happening, one limb is stiffer than the other. You can try shimming up the weak limb, but it's still not going to load and unload the same as the stiffer limb. With my frankenbow limbs, I have taken a round file and elongated the bolt hole so I could move the weaker limb in towards the middle, making it shorter and stiffer. If you are talking about an Excalibur, you can probably get the limbs replaced rather than messing around with them.

3. Ragumup

Ragumup Member

If I was to go down the shim route Where would the shim go on the weaker limb I’m having trouble visualising it would it go under the limb bolt like a triangle washer ...?

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

You want something that will be the same size/fit as the factory limb shim. It should cover the entire limb pocket like the original does. You can make it out of vinyl, plastic, thin aluminum or steel. It would go under the limb between the limb and the limb pocket of the riser.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

How far off is your string measurement's? You can try swapping the limbs side to side an see it fit changes any.

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Ragumup

Ragumup Member

Hi it’s kind of midnight here so I’ll probably post tomorrow after this post . So the shim lifts the limb off the riser a bit and how does that help the weak limb I’m not quite understanding the physics of it ?
    I’ll will definitely try swapping limbs over. I’ve not measured the string yet but I can see by eye it’s off a bit Cheers

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

The shim would push the limb a little farther from the trigger. That would preload the weaker limb to make it act a little heavier or stiffer, as you are effectively pulling it a little farther than the stiffer limb.

Ragumup, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  8. robertyb

robertyb Member

I put 1/16" neoprene rubber shims under my limbs on both my Matrix bows just to see if it would quieten them down and take vibration out. It worked. :)

Oppie likes this.
  9. Ragumup

Ragumup Member

Ok got it now ‘ shim put the limb further forward preloading it a bit ... I’ve measured the string (if I did it right) it’s about 2 or 3 mm out & Iv swapped the limbs over and it’s thrown the unevenness to the other side I’ll play around with it hopefully Sunday and see if I can even them up but I least now I know what needs to happen whether shim or oval the weak limb bolt hole Or new limbs. Many thanks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    jacol84 and Oppie like this.