Brace Height on Matrix and Mag-Tip

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by 8ptbuk, Dec 16, 2017.

1. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I've had a few string orders for shorter strings on the Excalibur Bulldog series, It's been said their a little faster with a 2" BH ( Shorter String ) than the original specifications. Has anybody tried a 1/2' to 1" shorter string on a Matrix 355/380/405 ? Or even the older Mag-Tip bows ? Love to here from someone who's tried this through a chronograph ! Thanks

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Mike, I've read that about the Bulldog and new Micros on forums. Not sure if it's true or not. I know a shorter string doesn't add any speed to the Mag Tip limbs, at least it didn't for me. It might be a deflexd riser thing.

3. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

It could be, I shoot my 380 from 3/4" to 1" but haven't noticed any apparent increase in speed. Maybe a little quieter and Probably a little more narrow cocked????
    Also better on the limb tips. Maybe I need to go to 1 1/4" or more ! Lol

4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I have read the same thing, but my Matrix models sit about 1/4" off the bumpers. Now this new Micro 355 with the DrStirrup bumpers sits high. I have not checked it with the chronograph, and really have no base line. These bumpers set about 3/8" higher than the the stock bumpers. And trying to maintain a brace height is nearly impossible unless you stay off the bumpers. I'll toil with this after the season ends, and I have time to really measure things. I think Danny Miller got this whole topic energized. Hard to contradict him in my book.

5. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

It is hard to get a string to stay put when using these BH distances. I think Excalibur went to Rhino String Material because of this ! If I could quit hunting long enough, I would do some testing also.

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I recall reading about that on the Excal forum. Seems like Boo & Danny did some testing along those lines.

xcaliber likes this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

I have a friend who has recently got a Matrix 330. He has his BH at 1-1/4". He says his scope speed ring is at 305 fps with a 478gn arrow. I think the speed ring is off.

xcaliber likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Here's Boo's thread I was thinking of Kind of a long read but covers the brace height better, just sift through the chaff an bs comments, a lot of information.
    I haven't tried the brace height/ chronny test myself yet but it's on my activity list :D.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65322&hilit=speed

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  9. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Thanks for finding the link and sharing, Think I might contact a few of the guys that bought the shorter strings and see if it actually helps. Mike

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

xcaliber likes this.
  11. Stalker

Stalker Member

I tried increasing my BH with 2 different strings yesterday. First with the stock Excal string. Started at 1/4" off the bumpers and went to 1/2" I lost about 2-3 fps.Then I went to 3/4" Lost about 5-6 fps from where I started. Then I tried a Flemish string Dan sent me and got the same results. Thats as far as I care to go. Definitely not getting the same results a some.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I still think it only works on the Bulldog/Gen 3 Micro risers that are deflexed. I lost speed when increasing brace height on both my old Vixan and the big Middleton 330. Thanks for testing, Paul.

Stalker likes this.
  13. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Thank You Very Much ! I appreciate you sharing that.

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

You may be right Jeff. Thats not what I gathered from the above link. It may be just my comprehension or interpretation though :eek::D. Then again you cant believe everything you read either.:rolleyes:

xcaliber likes this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm too ornery to try this. I don't think I could be comfortable with the looks of that on my X-Bows. :cool::D

Stalker and Oppie like this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here, I stick with a decent brace height an keep the strings off the stops a bit.

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  17. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I think Excalibur was scratching for every fps they could ! Lol

Stalker, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I quit trying to chronograph & adjust stuff to gain speed. Accuracy kills, speed does not. Don't get me wrong, I like speed, but not at a sacrifice of accuracy. Changing brace heights to gain a few FPS sounds too iffy to me. Rather than mess with the bow, I'll try string materials, and arrow weights if needed. I have lately gone to heavier arrows to mitigate wind impact on accuracy, and think I'll continue in that direction. If i really need some extra speed, I'll jump from my tree stand and shoot on my way down!:eek::cool:

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  19. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Lol ! I agree !

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  20. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Never figured out why Excalibur didn't just make the rail a tad longer so regardless of what no. Limbs ended up on it , It would shoot advertised speed....

xcaliber and Oppie like this.