Brace Height

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Andy, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I just got a new Boo string for my Ibex i put it on the bow and measured the brace height it came out to
    1 3/4 my brace height with a JBK string was 1 1/4 i have not shot it yet is the brace height too much """ 1 3/4 "" ??????????

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

No problem ! Just shoot an enjoy !

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Shoot er, it'll come down.
    I usually let a new string settle a couple of days before shooting with the cocker rope hooked to preload the string. But shooting them is the quickest way to settle em in.

4. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Andy , how are you measuring it ? I like to set mine at 1 in. from Riser/Rail gap . I measure from the front of the string to the gap mentioned . it'll settle down some after being shot . Mike

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Shoot it at 20 yards about 10 - 15 times, it is the quickest way to settle it in.

6. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I shot it at 20 yards it was dead nuts so i moved out to 40 yards shot 3 arrows at three pie plates i was very pleased at the way it shot all were in the black

Attached Files:

Oppie likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

There ya go, good shooting!

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I did a study on this brace height issue on my Vortex, and Matrix 355 with the same results. First, i shot through the ranges maintaining 1/8" gap between the bumpers, and the string, I also did three shots through the chronograph at this setting. I then went to 5/16" gap, and did the same routine. I was 1/4" - 3/8" low at 40 yards on the worse shot, and lost 1 - 2 FPS on the chronograph with the higher setting of brace height, average was 1 FPS. The reason for this test was simple, I leave my bows cocked all day, as many do when they hunt all day! I wanted to know that I was getting a kill shot at dawn, and dusk if the string lost a bit of brace height by being cocked all day, and I no longer concern myself with it. I keep it at 1/4" off the bumpers, and check it when I uncock the bow at the end of the hunt. If adjustment is required, I do it as soon as I get home so I'm ready in the morning again.

Good Shooting! ;)

Oppie likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Are you measuring to the front of the string? I have the STS stops an have em set lower than the S5 stops an still use about a 1/8" gap. Just curious.

10. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I measure in front of the string to the edge of the riser..