Brace Height

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Andy, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I just got a new Boo string for my Ibex i put it on the bow and measured the brace height it came out to
    1 3/4 my brace height with a JBK string was 1 1/4 i have not shot it yet is the brace height too much """ 1 3/4 "" ??????????

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

No problem ! Just shoot an enjoy !

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Shoot er, it'll come down.
    I usually let a new string settle a couple of days before shooting with the cocker rope hooked to preload the string. But shooting them is the quickest way to settle em in.

4. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Andy , how are you measuring it ? I like to set mine at 1 in. from Riser/Rail gap . I measure from the front of the string to the gap mentioned . it'll settle down some after being shot . Mike

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Shoot it at 20 yards about 10 - 15 times, it is the quickest way to settle it in.

6. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I shot it at 20 yards it was dead nuts so i moved out to 40 yards shot 3 arrows at three pie plates i was very pleased at the way it shot all were in the black

Attached Files:

Oppie likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

There ya go, good shooting!

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I did a study on this brace height issue on my Vortex, and Matrix 355 with the same results. First, i shot through the ranges maintaining 1/8" gap between the bumpers, and the string, I also did three shots through the chronograph at this setting. I then went to 5/16" gap, and did the same routine. I was 1/4" - 3/8" low at 40 yards on the worse shot, and lost 1 - 2 FPS on the chronograph with the higher setting of brace height, average was 1 FPS. The reason for this test was simple, I leave my bows cocked all day, as many do when they hunt all day! I wanted to know that I was getting a kill shot at dawn, and dusk if the string lost a bit of brace height by being cocked all day, and I no longer concern myself with it. I keep it at 1/4" off the bumpers, and check it when I uncock the bow at the end of the hunt. If adjustment is required, I do it as soon as I get home so I'm ready in the morning again.

Good Shooting! ;)

Oppie likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Are you measuring to the front of the string? I have the STS stops an have em set lower than the S5 stops an still use about a 1/8" gap. Just curious.

10. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I measure in front of the string to the edge of the riser..