Crossbow design? Thoughts and ideas.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Mar 5, 2015.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

No longer display.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Joe likes this.
  2. Long Gone

Long Gone Active Member

Been working on a new recurve "Concept" myself for some time but I've learnt a valuable lesson with my Heavy Limbed/Short Stroker "Concept" work. Many are paying attention but few are willing to give credit when/where it's due! My next piece will be "Patented" before it graces the pages of any message board... ;)

OldschoolBH and Joe like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Something I would like to see is a trigger design that the hooks come up from the bottom an drop down allowing a lower profile on top the rail . That also sits a little farther to the front so no interference with the fletching with the scope mount lower an attached to the rail toward the rear more instead of the trigger unit. Like a weaver flat base mounted on top of the rail like I have mounted on top the trigger unit before .the lower the better JMO.

Joe likes this.
  4. bunyip slayer

bunyip slayer Active Member

My man kung recurve 150 lb has claws that come up like that.

5. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Check out or google "gearheadarchery". They are supposed to be releasing products 04/2015
    They look pretty awesome!

6. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi.....

I got an old Barnett ( 1981 Wildcat ) with that kind of trigger-system. It might be ok for "low-powered" bows but I would never used it on high-powered crossbows.

Let me try to explain:

The modern high powered recurve bows got a lot of pressure on the retaining hooks. If these hooks would move downwards, at the very last moment the string might jump over them claws and over the arrow as well........DRYFIRE .

In the early 80.-ies people knew about that problem and thats why the trigger system was "re-designed". The new design ( hooks moving upwards ) forces the string downwards onto the rail to prevent this potential dryfire.

be safe

Stan

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good to know ! that,s what I like about this forum all kind of good imfo!

Thanks Stan

OldschoolBH likes this.
  8. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

And the best part is the GOOD PEOPLE!

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

X222222

OldschoolBH likes this.
  10. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi...

I don't know about that, but I would not try it, why risk to damage a good nock ?

be safe

Stan

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been thinking on a new project by putting a AR stock on my shorty so it will be adj for the kids an doing away with the whole stock an mounting a AR aluminum for-arm that you can attach anything too. then just build me a trigger guard. my son has lots of AR parts an would cost me nothing.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  12. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi......

Thank you for the info.

That "drop-down" system might work fine on a railless system with the capture nocks.

I was just thinking about "regular" crossbows with a rail.

have a nice weekend and

be safe

Stan

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  13. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi......

I forgot to mention that the Hickory Creek is a more a vert.-bow to me than a "real" crossbow.

But to be honest.....I really like the idea behind it. No doubt, a nice piece of archery, it got the best of both worlds :)

be safe

Stan

OldschoolBH likes this.
  14. Mike41

Mike41 Member

if you want to sell crossbows GIVE THE CUSTOMER CUSTOMIZATION OTIONS!!!
    1) choice of scopes. With a factory Scope that offers diff powers 2x7/3x9/4x12. offer a dial a range or distance so single hair scopes are the norm.
    2) Factoty dipping. Allow your customers the option to use normal paint colors and factory pattern dipping. Especially the scope.
    3)arrows. Customers choice on what arrow they want to use.
    4) warranty option. Allow customer to choose how much coverage they want.
    5)offer and encourage the use of Limbsavers. I believe that not only is your bow queiter but it's a LIMBSAVER!! They also protect your bow from added stress!
    That's just M. O.
    6) Picatiny rail mounted on the bottom for adding goodies.
    Have fun !!! Always. Happy trails.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Blues Man Stan, the "drop down", or bottom-releasing claws work fine with higher-poundage bows. I had a Horton TRT Ultralite that was around 175lb draw, that had bottom release and it worked just fine. I got rid of the bow though before the Horton collapse, because the bottom-releasing claws were angled forward a little, forcing the string upward and off the rails. If there was ever a chance for a dry-fire, that would have been it. You wouldn't have dared shooting a flat nock with that bow, it would have been begging for disaster IMO. Had it been properly designed, i would probably still have that crossbow today. Sent it back to Horton and they sent me a new bow with the same problem, so that was an unhappy characteristic of that particular model. I can't believe how some of these design defects reach the market, but looking back on Horton's demise, it looks like they got caught in the "just-in-time delivery" vise and couldn't refuse inferior parts without shutting down assembly, distribution, and sales. The rest is history.
    One of my MK crossbows, a bottom releaser, has been beefed up and now has a 230lb draw, and i shoot flat nocks with it, so the design is solid if done right. I have never had a bottom releaser shred servings like I have experienced with top releasers, and have had to remove and polish the claws of every one of them I ever owned. If done right, top releasers are OK, but the claws are leaving the factory needing more work IMO.

BTW, does anyone know if Excal reworks those claws on warranty? I prefer to do my own, but I would like to know if anyone has had Excal rework theirs.

On crossbow design, I do have a design for a completely unique and unconventional crossbow design... in my head... where, like Donk, it will remain until or if I get a proto made. It might not work anyway, a lot of my brilliant ideas die in the testing stage LOL!

OldschoolBH and Delta-Stan like this.
  16. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi Jack

The serving-problem on the top releasers......u're so right with that.

It took me some time to polish the claw on my Desert Hawk 225 lbs, but now it's perfect.

My surprise, when I got me the CS, 225 lbs, there was no claw-problem at all, no polishing needed.

have a nice Sunday and

be safe

Stan

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    OldschoolBH likes this.
  17. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

I'll jump out and say why can't they just incorporate a string latch that works just like a release for your V bow? I know the jaw design and tensions would be sigificantly higher than on a V bow but I think that is relative and doable.
    If adjustable you could tweak it to be dead even with the limbs n flight rail.
    The string stop safety could work in conjuntion with a true trigger block safety. That way the string has a block and the trigger until your ready to fire.

18. Mike41

Mike41 Member

Yeah I like that allot Old School. Have the Jaw locks as your Saftey. Simply pull the trigger once and they drop out of the way just tap the trigger like an arrow release 1#-2# and arrow down range. Think that's a winner!!?? If you decide not to shoot there is a small lever on the side of the jaws you can manually close the jaws back to safe position.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  19. Cactus

Cactus Member

OSB: Your April 13 post has merit as Jerry Goff at Hickory Creek has already invented exactly that system , which can be shot horizontally like a Crossbow or Vertically like a Compound .Jerry increased his limb weight to 125 Lbs , however , I have on e of his Inlines that will fit on any vertical bow and I can shoot it vertically or horizontally with regular vertical sights or a scope. The nice part is the 21 to 23 Powerstroke depending on your Draw Length. So in the end it's been invented now all they have to do is employ it on a standard Crossbow, I hope that Jerry ends up doing that. BTW Jerry Goff is great to deal with, a bonus all the way. Cactus

OldschoolBH likes this.