Crossbows getting the saw

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Masboy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Love it.jpg

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Love it! Thanks Bruce!:cool:

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I decided not to saw the noxtrix an made a super vixen out of it. bare bow with x52 string, long limbs,level,EOTech 512 with the dot the size of a pea at 30yd,pillar bedded rail to riser bolts,thumb hole stock,cheek piece, trigger job ,20inch heritage 250 vertical arrows with weight of 385g that are tack drivers at 30yds.this thing shoots 20 inch 410g zombies about same poi at 30 yds as the others.

All I have to do is bolt on my other riser an I have the noxtrix back ,so many bows in one with forward riser,strait riser,long limbs,matrix limbs .been awhile an forgot how accurate,forgiving the vixen is. my bextrix will be back soon as I get this vortex rail to lose 1 inch unless someone has a ibex rail to trade an the riser machined for the matrix limbs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Sounds like a good plan, Frank. Nice to be able to switch front ends out and change performance for different uses.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have a rail that's not being used, I'll check and see what it is.

6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Awww, darn, mines a exocet 200, :), not much help am I :p. I'd like to get another thumb hole stock, they fit my buggered up thumb an wrist much better but I'm like a three legged dog, just adapt an overcome ;).

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Only thing about this newer vortex rail it,s not square in the bottom corner where the rail meets the riser ,the vortex riser is rounded off some where it fits the rail bottom corner to fit the rail an don,t know why they changed this? a regular riser don,t set back against the rail tight an leaves a small gap.

fine if you use the new vortex riser as there made for each other. also the first rail an stock limbs I had that the brace height line flattens an wears the serving on the bottom. so newers not always better for part interchanging tinkering o_O nothing I can,t fix in short order thow:p

Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sounds like a job for JB weld :D, I raised one of my risers up a touch by building up a couple of layers of JB, just wrap some blue painter's tape around the rail for a dam around the outside edge and pour the JB in, it'll level out if your rail is set level to start with. Let her over night, you can file or sand it if ya need to then. Brought the string up almost even with the rail, that's where I left it because we don't want the string off the rail now do we :oops: :eek:.

Shouldn't be telling all my secrets here, y'all invalidate my warranty :rolleyes: an report me :) to somebody ....

xcaliber likes this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good ideal an mabye I can get some brownie points for turning you in from the boys :rolleyes: I kind of do the same with my permatex black gasket maker ,release agent left over from glass bedding kits an find it much easier to remove . I think I,ve voided the warranty on everything I ever had o_O :p Life is tuff an friends are scarce living with the goody two shoes that do everything buy the book :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've heard If you use a release agent on the riser you can snug the riser down a little about 8 -10 hrs later an get a glass bedded riser. Remember to put blue tape over the holes in the rail so your JB doesn't seep in the holes, only takes a second to redrill em open again :). And release agent on the screws, lots on the screws ;) .

xcaliber likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m a professional with glass bedding an release agent :) I remember my first glass job a Rem 700 bdl 300 win mag as I missed plugging one little hole ,left the bolt in an knocked the bolt handle off trying to get the bolt out :confused::p if you need any gun work I,m the man:rolleyes::p

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

A friend of mine forgot the release agent on his first glass bed job.

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I figure everything will be ok after the saw as the line will be gone an getting the riser machined for matrix limbs. I most time have some room too move the limbs up a-little instead of raising the riser an prefer that,but still put a lite coat of permatex between the rail,riser most times. I also use permatex black in my limb pockets on the gaskets ,on the bolts an right their with JB weld as being good stuff :p I may not do things the right way but I can get bare shafts to fly strait with some tinkering :oops:

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

And then there was one I used a piece of a inner tube for a shim between the riser & rail :) , works very well!
    Rednecks rule!

15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

If I remember right?? my matrix limbs @ 14" will send a 465 gr arrow down the rail at 350 fps give or take a few fps so that makes about 126 ft lbs of Kinetic energy or enough Thump to take most anything that wander's into the lawn ;)

jacol84 likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Is it done yet? :D:D:D

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Not yet the boy that,s going to do it just bought a house,working on it an getting married :confused: looks lik may be awhile as he said when he gets time he will come over an pick I up. no hurry anyways as I,m happy with my vixen an can turn it into the noxtrix in about a minute :p

Oppie likes this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

So getting married is a higher priority :eek: ?? :oops::)

xcaliber likes this.
  19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Depends on what,who your marrying :p

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

:D That's a fact Jack! My only regret is getting married in the middle of Oct. o_O, every year it's, "are we having a anniversary or are you hunting?" Yes is not the right answer :rolleyes:........

jacol84 likes this.