Deer Population

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by xcaliber, Mar 22, 2017.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

We live in a rural area of Town, and cannot hunt here. We have no shortage of deer, and get to observe their behaviors, etc. 26 years ago when we bought our lot back here, it was all wooded. My neighbor who has a few years on me, and is an accomplished hunter says that we have a natural deer travel course right across the road, and that is why we see so many deer. I do believe him, and have seen some monster bucks travel this route in the fall. Anyway, although I'm not hunting these deer, I do truly enjoy being able to watch them in their daily routines.

Deer%20last%20week_zpsypfokhps.jpg

2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Speed beef!

Joe, glassman_48 and xcaliber like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Pretty cridders! almost makes me want to be a vegetarian :p

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nice pictures Dan. I've always enjoyed deer watching because the are such fascinating animals, and tasty too!. At least you know they are good environmental indicator if you pay attention.
    Son showed a picture of two doe looking in the window at him at work while he running a milling machine, they were just munching on the shrubs :p in the industrial park.

xcaliber and glassman_48 like this.
  5. med1pilot

med1pilot Member

Keeping auto body shops in business since the Model T, and way more fun to watch than a bunch of birds at the feeder.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Son received a minor speeding ticket a few weeks ago, the police officer drove off an my son pulled out behind her only to have a deer run into the side of his car an knock the rear bumper off. Expensive little lesson for him :D

7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

OUCH!

Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

He stopped for the first two deer and the third one ran into him :(. It's all fixed up like new again, think that's his 2nd deer with this car o_O.

9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Wow, what a kick when you're already down!

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yea he looked like a beaten pup the next day.
    We've been seen quite a few deer lately, they like all the road salt that's been spread, so every corner you go around has a deer licking the salt off the roads....

xcaliber likes this.
  11. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'll tell you a 100% true scary as chit deer collision story. I hunt on a very small piece of land in Morocco Indiana owned by two of the sweetest people you could meet. They are both retired and rehab homes in this rural area. Anyway, the Lady of the house has a few kids in their 40's, and of course they have kids. One of her boys was on his Harley doing a poker run with several biker buddies. He was the last one in line of nine bikes going about 65 MPH on a rural road in late October. Well a big buck ran out of a ditch, and jumped onto the highway, but hit him in the chest knocking him straight off the bike, the bike went about 90 yards before falling over on the road. His buddies circled back after seeing the bike making sparks on the pavement, and looked all over for him. The police showed up, and started backtracking until they found him, and a dead buck in the ditch. He was in a coma for about a month, and in the hospital for about 8 months. This happened a few years back, and he's ok now, and yep, still rides. His Mom freaks out every fall since that happened, but won't tell him. Her mind set is that you only live once, and freaky stuff like this cannot happen twice in a lifetime, she is one of the most well grounded people I know!

Jack Pine, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Wow, he really had a angel riding on his shoulders, that is a once in a lifetime accident.
    Last winter my wife an I slid sideways between three of them in a ice storm, I swear one of em touched my mirror on the way by but we got lucky and with Judy's superior driving skills an me screaming "get your foot off the brake" :eek:.... she missed all of em :p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm sure your great instructions saved the day Bruce!:D We went down state to visit our little one when she was in college at IU, wife hits a patch of ice on the infamous I-65, and we did two complete 360's and wound up going straight away! I did toss my undies when we got home though.poop::p:D

Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I thought my thinking was off a bit , but you guys ride with the wife,s driving on snow an ice brrrrrrrrrr :eek:

Jack Pine, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My wife's dad was a long haul truck driver so my wife thinks shes a Semi-professional driver, she scares me though :confused:, assume crash position we're coming in hot!

Jack Pine and xcaliber like this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! We fight from the time I get in her car till we get home :mad: I say don,t follow so close,get off the shoulder,get on your own Side going around curves :confused: she puts the fear in me with her driving :eek: my driving an judgements not very good anymore .when I run over a curb now an then turning in somewhere she screams are you alright :eek: I say hell no I,m not alright but still drive better than you:rolleyes: that pisses her off:mad::p

xcaliber, Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Where's Dan's "Love It" button! Lets just say I drove for a living every day all day only to get in a car with her and be told how to drive :rolleyes:

xcaliber and Jack Pine like this.
  18. CharlieZane

CharlieZane New Member

Great pictures!