Did some shooting and then this happened.

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Oppie, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

She was hitting dead on @ 25 yds and got a little bump and dropped a foot! Scope mount came loose and my arrow moved straight down into a block of seasoned locust :eek:, 2 inches deep :oops:.....
    A couple of whacks with a hammer & chisel and we're back shooting again.
    Even Mrs Judy brought her Parker Thunderchicken out to play and shes good with it, good enough to keep me on my toes. Shes going for her first archery deer again this year, think this is her fourth year crossbow hunting. Shes always has something come up that's stopped her but this year is looking really good for her with two doe an one buck tags, we have 6 tags between the two of us.

P1020990.JPG

P1020982.JPG

P1020984.JPG

Two of mine this evening before the rain came, one @ 30 yd, one @ 35 yds :) Managed to get the chrony out for a few shots, says my black bow is around 345 fps, I'll take that :p.

P1020991.JPG

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Congrats on getting it out. My friend and I used to cut a lot of locust for firewood. That stuff is HARD!

Oppie likes this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good luck to both of you.

Oppie likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Mrs Judy's Thunderhawk is wearing a Parker Redhot scope that when you look through it says Hawke inside. I believe there's 5 rings for aim points but it's not speed adjustable, fixed power, so we're trying to figure out the ranges. It is illuminated red or green if she remembers to turn it off anyway.
    I wanted to shoot it through the chrony but the weather changed to quick on us yesterday an we lost the light so we went fishing instead and got rained out. Bass was from last week.

P1020988.JPG

P1020959 (2).JPG

Stalker, Mathew57 and jacol84 like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have quite a few locust trees here, the little ones grow like weeds in the spring they shoot up everywhere.
    I have one stripped screw hole on the trigger box for my scope mount that is part of the reason the scope moved, now I'm debating whether to drill an retap all the holes out to 10/32 or just swap the trigger box out with a spare I have.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Watch out as the girls can out shoot ,out fish the boys at times an be lucky hunters also :confused::p when I shoot at my range the hammer ,chisel are on stand buy all the time being needed quite often . the weak part for me on excaliburs are trigger box mount screws,stock screws .

7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I'm partly guilty :oops: because I used Stainless Torx head screws in it for a couple of years and we all know what stainless screws do to aluminum threads.
    I'm just going to swap trigger's and tap this one out later when I need to disappear or get bored.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

She was dropping them in @ 40 yds last night, moving to back 50 tomorrow. So far the scope range circles are lining up for her which kinda surprises me because shes shooting a little heavier arrow than Parker sells. Not using Parker arrows can void your lifetime warranty :confused:, shes shooting 20" black eagle executioners with blazer vane with Luminocks, 125gr head made up by Yours Truly cause we don't play with factory arrows :cool:

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I would keep a few "Factory" arrows on hand, just in case!:cool:

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

all I buy anymore are ready to shoot zombies with blazer vanes,brass inserts an square them some ,shoot the Blazers on some an replace with razers on others . getting lazy here :p

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Understand that, happened to me with reloading ammo, Still have all tools, just lost interest.

xcaliber likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Same here I gave my sons all my reloading stuff,then end up buying more an now only load what I have too. gave him back the desert eagle today an just didn,t feel like loading or fooling with it. he said I thought you were keeping it,I said I changed my mind . don,t feel real interested or excited about anything anymore .

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

:(

Real sorry to hear that Frank. Hope something comes along to spark your interest. I still reload (for the few shots I take anymore). I have some factory Rem. core loks that would be fine, but they shoot 1 1/2" at 100. My handloads with Hornady bullets shoot that or less at 200 yards. Probably never make a difference, but I can't help myself.:rolleyes:

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I know the feeling ,plenty accurate for about anything unless you carry a bench rest an sand bags with you :p i,m not that good of shot without the bench but still like to know it will hit where I aim if I hold it there . I guess that,s our hobby an what we do is try to get the best out of our toys for self satisfaction ,good clean kill.

xcaliber likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yep, I rarely shoot off-hand, Dad taught me to use a rest if you can even if it's just a tree limb. I try to set myself up for the shot I want then the deer come along and screw it all up anyway and do what they want.....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

A rest is always better, but I practice off hand a lot because I prefer to hunt from a stand. You can cut a doll rod and use the Little Sure Shot, I like it when walking.

Oppie likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I don,t carry a rest of anykind when deer hunting an most times find something to use be it a limb,knee,leg or whatever I can . I wack most deer if there standing in range with about any rifle one way or another .

Oppie likes this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks Dan, I just happen to have a 1" telescopic tube I've been thinking about modding, the kids toy it was for is long gone. I need another shooting stick anyway so I'll have to grab one.

19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Solid, I love mine!

20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Been there done that got the deer :D. Mrs Judy is much better off hand than I am but I can do alright if I have to.