Floating some arrows

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Masboy, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I stripped all my zombies an got all 6 squared ,plastic nocks in each end ,weighed 198g each for all 6. going to put some soap In the tub an float ,mark these arrows ,weigh all Inserts,nocks before I put them together an bare shaft test an go from there. I just need a starting point an hope to get one this way. I shot 3 of these fletched zombies this morning that shot goods groups with almost same poi ,then shot the other three an good groups with about the same poi,but off from the other three.

I figure I need the right starting point to start then turn,whatever an adj each arrow if nessecary .today I tryed turning my bare shafts off my mark about 1/8-1/4 turn at a time an shot an it changed poi most times ,changed it a lot more than it would have a fletched one .fletching seems to make up for some arrow problems ,bare shafts seem to magnify them.i,m hoping this floating will start me out with all on the stiff side an see how it goes from there.

Worked great as I floated them an marked ,each would come right back to the top an roll up the mark when I submerged them an let them go.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

There ya go! You do know some people pay good money for spline testers and matched arrows :D and your playing in the bathtub doing almost the same thing :).
    My hero!!

jacol84 likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Pretty easy an quick ,I stuffed them with the 92g loc- loads ,aluminum nocks ,125 tips an now got a weight of 418g . I,ll see how they fly soon. between the 460,my buckmark ,the dog bill they better shoot bare because it,s going to be a longtime before I can afford fletching :confused::p

Oppie likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Maybe some split turkey wing feathers off a Fat Gobbler :p for vanes.

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

If my turkey hunting is like everything else I do here lately, I won,t be getting an feathers :confused::p

6. Stalker

Stalker Member

I hope it works for you Frank. I floated some Easton carbon shafts one time and they still shot like crap.:( Was probably just the crappy shaftspoop:!

I'm surprised you haven't made a spine tester with your skills! Their easy to make! I bought the dial indicator from Harbor freight tools for less than $15 .The bearings off ebay for less than $10.I used a garage door opener track ,kids drum set and a 3lb dumb bell I stole from the wife:eek::D.Oh and a joist hanger lol! Works great! I get the same spine as Jerry at SSAS gets every time! 103_9014.JPG 103_9015.JPG 103_9016 (800x600).jpg 103_9009.JPG

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That thing looks great! I always just liked testing mine by shooting ,but now my shoulder joints an everything else hurt after each session an at night :confused:. I may give up all together if my joints don,t stop hurting,that,s why I been shooting guns more.

Oppie likes this.
  8. Stalker

Stalker Member

Sorry to hear that! I have a elbow that hurts sometimes when cocking. Tweaked my back last week some how and could only take a few shots Saturday but luckily that passed.It sucks getting old!:(

9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Aspercream Lidocaine and the regular Aspercream rubbed on together. Kava tea. Give it a shot.

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

I'm a Ibuprofen man myself.Seems the anti inflammatory in it works the best for me in the long run. My wife like the Aspercream with Lidocaine.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That dam Lyme's disease never gives up, but move you must :).

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here.

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yeah, with my knee being bone on bone for over 30 years, the shoulder and all, I've taken my share of ibuprofen and naproxin. Definitely notice it when I try to ween myself off it like my Dr. thinks I should. :rolleyes: I do the Aspercream (or Blue Emu) in addition.;) All this may catch up to me someday, but I'm gonna do what I need to do to keep moving.;)

Stalker and Oppie like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,ll have to give them a try as aspirin ,Tylenol don,t seen to be doing it.thanks!

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was out this morning an never so disappointed :confused: I had three shoot one poi ,an the other 3 shot a few inches away from them . I ,ve about had it with carbon arrows an think my old xx75 may have bent easier but never had all the problems I,ve had from carbons. I seen a couple of the factory ones had little hair line splits from the tip about an inch up the shaft.pulled splinters out of one scraping the vanes off so trashed it.i gave up after changing scopes,strings,nocks today as one of the plastic nocks cut my serving I think.

16. Stalker

Stalker Member

Plastic non concentric nocks could be half your problem depending on the brand.Try rotating just the nock itself and see if that changes your poi.

17. Stalker

Stalker Member

Jeff I just got some Naproxin but haven't taken any yet.Does it have anti inflammatory too?
    I've had screws put in my ankle 30+ years ago and too many other pains too list.Thankfully the elbow is the only main thing that effects crossbow shooting Knock on wood!!!! The back is just a once in a while thing.

18. robertyb

robertyb Member

Ibuprofen for me also.

19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I have a friend who among other things, fell off a roof (30 ft.) and as a PA State Trooper, was shot in the thigh with a .270 rifle. He went from ibuprofen, to naproxin, to celebrex. Haven't seen him in a few years, so I don't know what he's using now. Naproxin is an NSAID, like ibuprofin. When I first switched to using it, I thought it worked better. Lately is doesn't seem to do as much. Maybe I just took too much of it along the way.:confused:

Oppie and Stalker like this.
  20. Stalker

Stalker Member

When I was 19-20 I fell 40+ feet rock climbing in Colorado.Shattered my ankle, broke my wrist and collar bone. Lucky I'm here at all! Surgeon did a good job putting my ankle back together. Probably doesn't help working as a painter/carpenter/handy man climbing ladders the last 30+ years. I figured I'd try the Napr0xin. I try not to take anything unless the pain is bad and just deal with it. If I have 1 particular thing bothering me I'll take ibuprofen before bed. Usually the next day it will be better as the inflammation has gone down and rest.

Oppie likes this.