found a new hunting head.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Oppie, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Turned this bad boy up a couple days ago, thinking I going to need going to need some big ole Fat arrow shafts for the Mag bows.....

P1030047 (3).JPG

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That would make a nice hole I bet :oops:

Oppie likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

For sure. Bet it would fly like a rock, Back when I was wee little pain in the butt I'd have that on a arrow some kind of making shooting at something ;).

4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Need to borrow the Love It Button!

I'll bet the wind would have little to no effect on that arrow!:p:D

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Th old Indians weren't that handicapped with there arrowheads as iv,e seen some flint ones I would be proud to have on one of my arrows if attached properly .

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yes, they knew how to knap flint into something beautiful but deadly. The knives they made are incredible.
    I started digging a new flower bed in part of a old hedge row, mistake, it's full of stones and old barb wire & fence post that are older than my kids.

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When we were kids we collected arrow heads along the river hill fields where we lived. we would go out after they plowed the fields an a good rain looking for them. most were flint what I can remember .we had a collection an I will have to ask my mom whatever happened to them as I traded some to other kids i think.

I was fascinated by them an some of the best I seen were from out west I think ,perfect looking an sharp . they say lots of Indian stuff up in the islands on the susky around here but your not allowed to dig or take anything I hear?

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

My old boss had a collection from Tennessee. He must have had over a hundred. Some real nice work!

Oppie likes this.
  9. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

There's a Cherokee Museum in Cherokee North Carolina (Smokey Mountains) . Absolutely incredible what they made ! Baskets, Tomahawks, Canoe's , Bows and arrows. All kinda of beautiful clothing . I'd love to go back through it one day.

Oppie, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm fascinated by the way we lived in the past. All cultures, it just seems sometimes to me that we have really got it made these days compared to them. Just thinking about how they made all these intricate items by hand blows my mind. Nowadays, it seems like there are fewer & fewer folks that can do anything with their hands.

8ptbuk likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Single bevel? Atl-Atl point, I'd guess. Must be pretty old. My grandparents had a decent collection of arrowheads. Don't know what ever became of it.:(

We used to start off our school year with a thematic unit on Native Americans, focusing on eastern PA. Our history teacher (and my friend) was a phenominal story teller. I did an experiment with the students comparing round and flat bows. Made a bunch of little 18" bows with 1/8" dowels as arrows. Took a bit of supervision, but it was a blast for the kids and me.:D Had an elective where kids made full size flatbows and atl-atls. Thank goodness I worked in a rural district. I was proof than not all public school teacher were P/C leftist libtards.;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Oppie and 8ptbuk like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thank You! We need more teacher like You!
    I have a map from a 1870 Beers atlas that shows a house on my property that collapsed back in the early 1900's . When we bought this land from my wife's grandmother it was being used as a pasture for cows, part of the old foundation was filled with locust tree stumps an full grown trees from the township road work. I used to find square cut nails an broken china & glass quite often but the grass is to thick now. We still use the original stone wall for part of the property line.

This part of Pennsylvania has a rich history with the very early settlers and indian tribes. The Iroquois were the predominant tribe in my area, we still see their names everywhere.
    Here's the Iroquois tribes:
    Cayuga Indians
    Mohawk Indians
    Oneida Indians
    Onondaga Indians
    Seneca Indians
    Tuscarora Indians

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.