How High's the River Frank?

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Like the title say's "How High's the River Frank?" How's our favorite river rat doing?
    The local Television station's have been yammering on about the Susky's ice dams an local flooding in the Scranton / Wilks-barre area low area's. The north branch river looked great in Towanda, water was running and a lot of clear water today.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I haven,t been down as I been helping my son some to get away from the girls :confused:but my other uncle was down today fooling with a jet boat an backed it in an hit the brakes without the bow rope attached :eek: he said the owner got wet retrieving it :p been there done that :p

He said the water was alittle high, but no ice an not real dirty looking. I,m getting so I don,t like the cold anymore an the winds been blowing pretty good about everyday also . think I,ll stick to shooting till spring ,guess i,m becoming a old wussie :p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yep, I've waded after a boat myself once or twice :D. The viewer Experts calling back into the local TV station tonight recommended starting at the Chesapeake an blowing the ice dams with dynamite and or cannons just like Granddad used to all the way to the Ny St line, :rolleyes:, another recommended just dragging the ice blocks to a near by field and let em melt off, problem solved!
    Darn shame we're not allowed to play with dynamite anymore :)

xcaliber likes this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Man, there's no comparison there. Dynamite would be much more fun! Now that I'm not driving to PSU anymore, I haven't seen the mighty Susky for quite a while. I do have a nephew who does a lot of boating and duck hunting near Sunbury. He said "Lake Augusta" is a mess.

Oppie likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! I always look at the susky river graph online for Harrisburg for water level for what,when it,s coming.today it showed the peak high at 7 am this morning an then dropping fairly quick. Normal flow is around 3-5 ft an will get to 9ft this morning . action stage is 11 ft that don,t mean much as we get that after some rains quite often.down here it all depends on how much water the coniwingo dam at the head of the Chesapeake lets out or holds back.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Oppie likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The good people in the low areas near Wilks-Barre are calling for higher flood walls, they had the army corps of engineers out to inspect the flooding (big mistake) and basically are living where they shouldn't be building anyway. The news station is loving it with their new drone flying over the ice jams an taking cool video's.

Some of my crazier friends are having a annual Ice fishing party tomorrow on a local frozen lake, complete with grill to cook food on, bon fire an a Band an probably alcohol of various flavors. The owner reported 11" of ice earlier this week.

ice.jpg

Stalker, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Going up to Wilkes Barre and Kingston tomorrow morning to deliver a car to one of our sons. Hope we don't end up in the river.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Just stay away from Pittston, they have some ice floating in a few streets :D! You'll be fine, Trust me :p

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds like a good time ! no ice fishing ever for me as I went with my dad as a kid down on the north east river .i remember seeing the sea weed in the ice an hearing cracking :confused: when we got back to shore the ice was 10 feet from shore an someone had layed down wood to get us back on shore:confused: I was scared to death an don,t ice fish.

My cousin was a die hard ice fisherman an fished this place on unsafe ice many times because the fishing was so good :confused: I never forgot the time he told us about being out there on thin ice ,he said this Amish fellow came out an chopped a big hole then set down hard on this wooden stool an they looked as he disappeared with his hat floating on top. said he popped up an crawled out grabbed his stuff an left :eek::p

Oppie, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I remember going to Pittston a few years ago to do a mission project after one of their other floods. We fit a bunch of kitchen cabinets and a counter into a place with really crooked/ out of plumb walls. It was fun.:rolleyes: Found out the recipients didn't like it, and another crew came in a few weeks later, and tore it all out.:mad: Good times.;)

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I don't ice fish either, just a chance to get out and see some old friends and some laughs. Last time I went I got ran off the road by some snowmobiles and ended up stuck in the frozen frozen snow bank. Nobody saw the snowmobiles but everyone saw my jeep buried in the snowbank :confused:, the owner showed up with a tractor an pulled me out without to much abuse :p.

My wife started a new project for her employer this afternoon so she had to run to the Lycoming county courthouse so I rode along for something to do. We took route 87 down through Forksville and follows Lycoming creek to the Susky near Williamsport, very little ice in the river there. All the streams are cloudy an running high but not to bad. The snow is out of the mountains and woods.
    Checked out the covered bridges @ Hillsgrove and got a Kiss in the middle of both of em :p :D:D:D:D
    Just like the old days :)

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The ice people sent me a message the breakfast was on the grill, hot & ready when I got up today :p , Kids!

Jacob.jpg

And they just sent pictures of a whole chicken on the grill :D stuffed with something :)....

And here's on from yesterday's ride along. One of three covered bridges still in use at Hillsgrove Pennsylvania, we crossed two of them.
    Built 1850 with Burr arch trusses.The Hillsgrove bridge was built for Sullivan County by Sadler Rogers, a native of Forksville who was only 18 years old. Show me a 18 yr old that can put his phone down long enough do that today o_O.

covered bridge.jpg

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks like a nice fish! we have many covered bridges around still in use an always amazed me to look inside at the workman ship in them.

Oppie likes this.
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Cool. Used to belong to a hunting camp near Hillsgrove.

The river at Wilkes Barre/Kingston wasn't too high. Lots of ice along the shore but the center channel was open water.

Oppie likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The fish hit hard early but I still saw a couple nice bass come thru the ice, one guy come off the ice around 5:00 with a bucket full of perch. They had close to 12 " of ice on the pond still.

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

ice.jpg

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That looks like a nice place! I bet Murphy would love to go ice fishing :eek::p

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yep, it's beautiful place. Our friends @ PA. DEP would like to drain this big old lake because they don't like the dam even though it's been there over a hundred years. Morons :confused:.
    The kids on ice skates chasing flags was worth the trip, at one point we had three generations ice fishing so it was fun to watch.

19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Must be some of them highly educated morons that seem to run about everything :confused: nothing for the folks that enjoy the outdoors ,it,s all about parks,playgrounds for the city people so the drug dealers have a place to hang out:mad:

xcaliber likes this.
  20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Frank, did you misspell Ruin everything?:p:p Oh, never mind, you said "Run" everything!:p:eek: