How High's the River Frank?

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

All of us "older" folks gathered around a picnic table by the fire and talked about how our "spare parts" don't allow us on the ice, Everything from Lupis, new knees, new heart valves, and the ones that have passed on. We're a pathetic bunch :D but determined.
    The Susky @ Nichols Ny looked really good this morning, not much color but moving right along :D, ice free!

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I still haven't been down to check it out :confused: I checked the river graph today at Harrisburg an it shows not very high an back to around normal by Thursday . the fishing just seems to be getting worse every year as very few locals even fish it anymore. just a shame for such a beautiful river to be turned into a big polluted cesspool with nuke plant,dam,sediment pond on this lower end:mad:

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The manufacturing plant I used to work at used to have a problem with dumping Ammonia in the river which turn to fertilizer by the time it got to the Chesapeake bay and added to the algae problems. They did finally go to a ammonia recovery process after DEP & EPA and the Bay programs fined $$$ the crap outta them. But it went on for years.

I crossed the Susky near Nichols Ny. Sunday and she was so pretty :), had some color but not bad at all. Nichols Ny is before she comes back in to Pa the second time and the river is a lot cleaner and faster running than farther south. But a lot of the farm fields have been sprayed with Round-Up type weed killers that'll end up in the Susky by spring.

And they wonder why small mouths have tumors and three eyes poop: :( dead:

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Of all the things the government spends money on I would think keeping our water clean an not polluted would be number 1 . we got along fine without all these pesticides ,poisons before. I wonder why all these factorys waste water has to be dumped in our water. seems like most sewage plants,landfills have to be alongside our waterways also :confused:

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Money is number 1, water and fish come after profits. DuPont corp had a plant a mile away from our plant and that plant dumped some really bad stuff into Sugar Creek a half mile from the Susky so in the river it went, a lot workers there have cancer problems today.
    It's cheaper to run a pipe to the river than to take care of the problem an save the river.

A wise man once said, We all live down stream.
    Another wise man said to always drink up stream from the herd!

jacol84 likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Just like always ,I on the wrong end ,I remember as a kid out hunting an I always drank from little streams when thirsty. I got a drink an thought the water had a bad taste ,then after walking up stream a bit I see this dead possum or should say what was left of it l laying in the middle of stream with maggots all over it :confused:yum,yum :p

jacol84 likes this.