Hunting brass

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been shooting these semi autos at my bench an spend more time hunting the empty brass than I do shooting :confused: today I came up with the bright ideal of using a 2 ft diameter fish net that I redone today with fine mesh. I made a aluminum stake with a point on it I stuck in the ground that just fit inside the net handle,that I can turn an adj up an down. I have it set against the end of my bench close to my bags an gun . got about half my brass today an will have to have someone watch to see exactly where I need it . May need a net covering my whole bench if I don,t get a spotter :eek::p

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

That sounds like it will work. I bought a nut picker several years ago. You roll it over the brass and it picks it up. They sell different sizes. Which work for different size casings.

It also works for what it was intended, picking up acorns and small nuts which I like to relocate close to my hunting blind.

On my ARs I use a Caldwell catcher that attaches to the rail. Works good but the hot brass somtimes is too hot and sticks to the web material. With multiple mounts I can use the same catcher on multiple guns.

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Ole Masboy just needs think about something and he'll know how to make it. The man's a wizard at makin stuff :) Plus he needs to be outta the house an away from all the women folk :p. Don't let him fool ya.....

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  4. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Being a bit of a tinker'er myself, I can relate. ;D

jacol84, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Best gift my dad ever gave me was the ability to make stuff an fix things :).

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That comes in at a tight second place for me!:D

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I don,t know if I fix ,make more stuff than I distroy or not :rolleyes: I still remember the pile of distroyed stuff from my crossbow bowfishing fishing rig trial, error :p
    I learned fast that brass will leave a mark if picked up real quick ,son got a laugh out of that as he was shooting his AR an said hot ain,t it ,of course I said no an he just smiled an turned his head, with me standing there with that look of pain I tryed to hide on my face :eek: I don,t shoot semi autos as much as others an mostly just for carry ,home protection guns for me that I shoot just to practice with ,love that old AR with a 40 round clip an many other loaded clips in my underwear,sock top dresser drawer for my upstairs home defense gun:D

Stalker, jacol84, Oppie and 1 other person like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My wife learned the hard way to button up her shirt when our ar dropped one down the front of her shirt :p But it was fun to watch :D:D:D.

Stalker, MI_Bowhunter and xcaliber like this.
  9. robertyb

robertyb Member

LOL!! I can imagine.. :eek:

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I know, I shouldn't have laughed, because that only made it worse :p but it worth it :).

xcaliber likes this.
  11. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I've had a few bounce back from the range dividers and land in the collar of my shirt.

I've seem people do similar and jump up and around like some bees just fell down their shirt. LOL

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Don,t look like I will be picking up much brass,my son just called an said he will bring me over the 460 S&W with dies,bullets on the condition I don,t get rid of it an he gets it back when I,m gone :rolleyes: he also said I can just give him the 900$ an keep my 30-30 that had the same deal It goes back to him when I,m gone . only way he would sell 30-30 to me because he didn,t want to sell it ,heck I don,t care if they get there guns back when I,m gone,don,t think I will mind :p