Ice breaker today

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I went out on the river this morning an almost didn,t make it . I was braking thin ice maybe 3/8 inch thick all the way out the creek channel then under the railroad bridge to the river. figured I would do some scouting for deer ,ducks ,my little buddy a mink I see quite often. did some fishing also an got walleye an snagged some big gizzard shad while trolling. seen a few ducks but not enough to get excited about for a hunt. no deer seen but the hills are bare with very little snow an a good veiw with th leaves off. came in an had to break ice again all the way back the creek to the launch :confused: life is tuff:p

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Better than my day at work Frank!:p:D

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Don,t bet on it,I had to be back by 1 to baby sit the monster inlaw :confused::mad::p

xcaliber likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Great day on the river. Mink are cool critters but I'm to far away from the creek to see them around here.
    My mother-in law hit one with her car one night, and me being a smartazz talked her in letting me pick it up an take it home :p we didn't get very far before she made me ditch it cause it smelled like wet mink musk , eeewwwwwwww :p:p:p

xcaliber likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

They are cool cridders an real killers from what I read. this one I see looks just like one of my ferrets that are my babys .there really playfull an they harass the mother inlaw, I love it :oops::D now if I could just train them to attack :p

Oppie, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

They are cool little critters. I never took up trapping just because I enjoy watching the small animals to much.

xcaliber likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I just hate to see anything suffer in a trap :confused: so not my thing . thinking of hitting the river in the morning but going to be down in the 20s tonight an don,t know what the ice situation will be on the creek channel. maybe take my digging bar along if it will help me get out an away from baby sitting the mother inlaw while the wife sleeps:confused: if I knew things were going to be like this I would have saved my milk money as a kid to buy me a ice breaking boat :eek::p

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

out this morning an no ice on the creek or river an flat as a pancake .creek-channel ,river both 32 degrees,warm up after discharge 47 degrees this morning. I seen deer runing around next to a thicket on the side of the hill but could not tell how many or what they were . I was trolling about 50yds offshore for walleye when I spotted them on the hillside about 125yds away from me.

No walleye or sweating this morning as it was in the 20s they say. that sun felt good this morning as it came over th hill . going to get my flintlock licence if I still can an see if I can spot a big one sunning on a south hillside.i,m a poor fisherman here lately so mabye a combo duck,deer :p

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Might as well get your flintlock tag, I'm going back out with the xbows again and this time I'm serious :rolleyes:, really want to tag one :p this time. Not like the early archery season when I was really just scouting for the Late season :p....

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Frank, isn't it any good to fish the warm water discharge in winter? I remember reading about guys catching hybrid stripers in the discharge. Took my friend's son down and we fished it a while. Just caught a few catfish. That was many years ago though.:rolleyes:

When you said Ice Breaker, all I could envision was a big steel V on the front of your boat, then a big motor in the back to balance it out.;)

xcaliber likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

There,s so many bass boats at th warmwater it,s hard to fish th best areas. then they see you catch a fish they all come running to where your fishing :mad: stripers an walleye are getting hard to come by anymore in the winter there.

I,m still dreaming of spotting that big riverhill buck standing on the hillside :p

The last time I went to buy one years ago they told me you had to buy it by it by a certain time before the season or couldn,t get it :mad: I guess that was so if you are already got a deer an could not flintlock hunt they already had there money:mad: got to love good old PA:confused:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

It's big money maker them hunting licenses. Indiana won't tolerate anti's trying to mess up your hunting either. Several years ago some anti's tried to interfere with the state park cull / lottery drawn hunts by parking along the highway where the deer crossed in out of a Fish & Wildlife area, they would bang pots & pans, and lay on their horn, they got a heavy fine for that crap. Big Money from us hunters! ;)