Indiana used to be OK, but now?

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by xcaliber, Oct 11, 2017.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well, the rich folks get another win, and the every day working man gets it in the can, AGAIN! Now, the brains of the state have extended the use of rifles in Indiana on PRIVATE LAND ONLY. They have removed the rifle cartridges previously legal on Public Land for years including my newly purchased .44 Magnum CVA Scout. These have been legal for about 12 years, really makes me mad!

2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Dan, i feel for you, sounds like indiana is turning into another liberal ass state like my state. :eek::rolleyes::mad:

xcaliber likes this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, if you don't own land, or know someone, or lease, you're out! I honestly don't know why they have to add more rifle choices for some, and take away from others without prior notice. Anyway, I'm still looking for the right lease, and hopefully when I retire and move, I'll get a little piece of land of my own.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That sucks! who makes all these changes ,as I guess the fine game commission like the one in PA :mad: mabye they will let you shoot crows like us on Friday ,sat ,sun only o_O :p

xcaliber likes this.
  5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

IDK Frank, it seems the folks hunting and paying all the fees aren't making any of the decisions. The only land worth leasing in my state is like 3 hours away. Really getting fueled up over this crap lately.

6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Really sorry to hear that, Dan. So many things are changing, and not for the better.:(

bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  7. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi..........

That looks like gun control through the back door.

be safe

Stan

bbahunter, xcaliber and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That sucks my friend.

Just might be right about that. They should at least give fair notice before enacting such laws but money talks....

9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I contacted my in laws, and might just suck it up & drive 86 miles each way again to hunt the farm. What sucks is the farm is not what it used to be. Sure, I have 39 acres to hunt on in deep farm land. The farm land however is not owned by the family anymore, and there is the encroachment issue I have to deal with. 1.4 hours drive each way, and the Queen no longer there in the fall / winter stinks as well. Doris knew everyone in the county, but she heads down to Florida in September these days. I would have to kick out the poachers, and hope that they don't mess with her home. IDK. Being soooo far away stinx! It's not like I can go there frequently these days either. Getting old sucks!

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sure does! things change an getting hard to find good hunting land. mostly the farm owners I knew are gone an th farm sold to Amish as most of them hunt there farm or the kids of th past land owners here don,t want hunters on their land. more archery hunters with less land your allowed to hunt not good.

That,s why I hunt the steep ,ruff river hills an some getting crowded there with easy access in places . It,s owned by the power company an not posted but now have some signs,gates up as people scew it up dumping trash on it an the power co. brings in a big dumpster an fills it with trash ,tires every so often. not good for future hunting I,m sure:( I try to avoid all hunters when I,m hunting an don,t like being in the same wood with another hunter. That,s why I fish lots :p

xcaliber likes this.
  11. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Changes like this really tick me off.

Part of me thinks a lot of the people driving these policies are anti-hunter's who work themselves into these positions just to sabotage it from the inside.

The other part of me thinks that they are just clueless and realy have no real knowledge about what they are legislating.

No matter the reason, the average hunter seems to get the shaft each time. For each step fwd we seem to lose two somewere else.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I wish I could tell you better days are coming but that's not the answer to this problem.
    I am one of the lucky few that still hunts only private farm land and I try to help the owners out every chance I get but as we age things change an usually not for the better.
    Come to Northeast Pa there still undeveloped land in the Poconos for hunting :), a close friend's family just sold a 400 acre farm, nothing but a house & barn on it.

xcaliber likes this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Bruce, with all the recent hurricanes in the Gulf region, we are really rethinking our retirement plans. My wife wants to skedaddle, but once the Daughter's start having them grand babies, she won't want to leave the area. I'm hoping the younger one and the prospect get married, and move south to where the eldest daughter lives, then we can get just south of them in the sticks, and everyone wins! :cool:

jacol84 likes this.
  14. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

So, my in laws called me, and we might be OK. Uncle Kenny owned the farm, and he is retired, sold the farm, but knows everyone in the county, just like the old days. He's always been a big fan of deer hunting. He always liked me, and told his sister he would call his old friends. I can't sleep!:cool:

jacol84 likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

aww yeah. if your in with Uncle Kenny, your in with the neighbors :)

xcaliber likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Hoping to hear something today, and tomorrow brings high winds, good day to drive out and see what's what. I have not hunted there in a while, so I might be in for an unwelcoming visit by the poachers. If it's too bad, I'll back out. Last thing I want is for someone to vandalize Doris' summer home. Since Uncle Kenny sold the farm, it might be a free for all down there!

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Best of luck Dan, stay safe.

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

X2!

xcaliber likes this.
  19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

So far, nothing. I'm not going to pester them, just hanging tight. Indiana opened up 10 mm auto's as a legal handgun on private property too. What a bunch of yahoo's running the show these days!

20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Got the word tonight. Weekends only for us, all week days for the farmer. It's fair. We get to know the farmer, and work out something else, my in-laws are cool with that too. Uncle Kenny is still looking for someone else for us too. I'll kill a doe for the other farmer to fill his freezer, no problem there. I know that land like my Wife's attitude! :eek::p:cool:

jacol84 likes this.