Latest project

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been working on the old Iver Jonson champion 32 inch barrel single barrel that my uncle gave me that belonged to his uncle , my uncle had made a new forearm for it years ago to repair it for his uncle , it had no stock when he gave it to me. the old thing is tight an has the best trigger I ever seen on a shotgun. I had my son take it all apart an clean,parkerize it,but I already scratched the barrel up .

I took a old laminated 870 stock that wasn,t wide enough to fit the tang good ,but after much cutting fileing by hand I got it on pretty solid with some nice looking gaps around the fit , just not enough wood to make a good fit. I then screwed on a old recoil pad I had that did no fit good also but works. I shot it an it shoots a beautiful pattern with a fine trigger. I plan on trying to get my turkey with it this year just to keep this old gun in use an hand it down to my boys to do the same.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nothing like a Old family shotgun to hand down to your kids. I've got my dads old JC Higgins (Sears) Model 10 12ga bolt action he bought when he came home from ww2. It has half a dozen notches he cut in the stock cause he mostly used it for deer.
    It's what I used to call a "Barn door gun" , cause every barn in the area had a shotgun behind the door :p.

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Some number 4 shot thru that old pipe should be some fine gobbler medicine :p

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s what I was thinking as 4s are the shot i choose for about everything . real killers for pheasants also an you don,t have to hunt for them after the shot as there laying where you seen them drop :D

Oppie likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Ya gotta hit those birds hard or they run away and hide. I like a nice long tube an a tight choke & 4 shot for turkeys, take em right off their feet, no looking around for them :).