Latest redneck rig

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Jack Pine, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Fruit trees require a lot of spraying. I have several 2 gallon pump-up sprayers that I use that are a nuisance because they are too small to do the job in a timely manner, need constant filling and pumping and don't have enough pressure to do a good job in the very tops of the tallest trees. Then I got this idea to get a 4 gallon battery-powered backpack sprayer. Not as good as I hoped, with the battery and full of spray, it about killed me and was worse than the small sprayers. Then I started playing with the idea of using my old Harbor Freight pressure washer. Works great, sprays like a maniac. Has an adjustable spray that takes about 4 seconds to spray a whole tree, and can adjust to reach the top of my tallest apple trees. Best of all, the high-pressure hose is long enough that I can do it all sitting on my butt on Kubo. Just drive around and spray. I eventually hope to get rid of the generator and run it off a 2 kilowatt inverter that I have by connecting it to the tractor battery. This has made this dreaded job ALMOST enjoyable.
    For some reason, I keep getting an error message when I try to load the pic, but I'll keep at it. OK finally got it, had to reduce the file size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice rig, great ideal! them tractors ain,t just for riding :p

Jack Pine likes this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Jack Pine will not be defeated! Nice engineering Cal.:D

xcaliber and Jack Pine like this.
  4. Stalker

Stalker Member

Great Idea! Your inspiring!

Jack Pine likes this.
  5. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I made sure I flushed it out good by hooking up the garden hose and running clear water through it for a few minutes when I was done. Almost can't wait for the rain to stop so I can do it again.

6. Stalker

Stalker Member

Figured I'd show you this. Dont know ifyou get the HF coupons or not. They sent me this the other day[​IMG]

7. Stalker

Stalker Member

Figured I'd show you this. Dont know if you get the HF coupons or not. They sent me this the other day

[​IMG]

8. Stalker

Stalker Member

Figured I'd show you this. Dont know if you get the HF coupons or not. They sent me this the other day

[​IMG]

9. Stalker

Stalker Member

[​IMG]

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

[​IMG]

I'd think it would work.

11. Stalker

Stalker Member

Ha! Ha! Didn't act like it was posting!

Jack Pine likes this.
  12. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Thanks Stalker, I already have an older model HFT 2000 watt inverter I'll be playing with. I was hoping it would fit under the tractor's hood but don't think it will.

Stalker likes this.
  13. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

14. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Thanks Stalker, I already have an older model HFT 2000 watt inverter I'll be playing with. I was hoping it would fit under the tractor's hood but don't think it will.
    Wow, the site is really doing weird stuff!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Raining again today so I went out in the barn and got an old set of jumper cables. Hooked one end to the tractor battery and the other to the 2kw inverter and plugged in the pressure washer and it started and ran OK. Didn't even pull the inverter down. The hood of the tractor closed down on the cables OK too, so now all I need to do is remove the cable clamps and solder on some ring terminals to connect it all up. Might leave the clamps on one end to make it easy to connect and disconnect at first.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good job! Dad always said, "work smart not hard".
    Maybe a connector plug in the power lines might work for you, something like the old cigge lighter's, like cars had back in my day! Power ports in today's cars.

Jack Pine likes this.
  17. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

20190619_123708.jpg Here's a little update on my sprayer project. Added some homemade terminal rings to the jumper cables to the inverter so I can also use it with other vehicles and have 120VAC for other stuff.
    Going to use this 7 or 8 gallon bucket to hold the spray solution.

Stalker, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  18. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

20190619_143503.jpg Uh oh, setback.
    Set up the bucket, hooked up the inverter, and fired the whole thing up and it worked perfectly for about 3 seconds. The inverter kicks out and has to be reset. The indicator LEDs do not show overheat or overload. The LED bar shows 14.5VDC in and pulling 100 amps, so that means 1200 watts at 120Vac. This inverter will run at 2000 watts and surge 4000 watts, so it looks like the problem is the smaller wire gauge and 12 foot length of the cables. So... looks like I need fatter cable. Oh well, I can always use the generator until I get this figured out. 20190619_125301.jpg 20190619_131435.jpg

Stalker, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nice looking setup you've put together. It seems like those cables should be heavy enough but I'm no electrician, did your cables get warm? Cutting them down some would help, 100 amps is a hefty load to draw.

Stalker, xcaliber and Jack Pine like this.
  20. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

The LED meter starts at 11 VDC input and goes to 15VDC and has a low voltage cutoff of 10.5VDC. Running the pressure washer, you see the voltage drop off the scale, so it seems it's not getting enough. The cables keep cool through it all.

Stalker, xcaliber and Oppie like this.