long arrows in a crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Masboy, May 29, 2016.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Windy today as I was trying my 18-20 inch arrows out at 30 yds.an decided to give one of our 28-1/2 inch 350 maxima hunter arrows out so put a insert in for the nock,2 inch razer feathers,100 gr. tip,marked the cock vane . shot it an this was the most consistant arrow for accuracy I shot today hitting the same hole or real close about every shot. I cut this arrow down to 22 inches an went too a 125 gr. tip with weight of 345gr an accuracy was about the same . I was amazed how well this small diameter arrow shot an will be trying more made from some Zombie 350 vertical arrows I have. just seems longer arrows shoot better for all out accuracy for me in all conditions.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was out testing arrows again this morning with my 20 inch BEE at 400gr vs 22 inch 350 carbon express 345gr arrow. i shot th best with the 350 vertical arrow an tried different cock fletch for a poi check an made no difference. I now have no ideal about crossbows an arrow spine an just shoot them to see how accurate they are.i also shot 28-1/2 inch zombie 350 bare shaft an they shot great.

I made up 2 350 zombies at 24 inches to get the same weight as the 22 inch carbon express an going to compare them . out of razer feathers so cut some four inch in half an used the fatter part on some 18 inch BEE an shot great. fletched the two zombies with the small ends an will be trying these out on the 24 inch zombies. If all ok I just buy 4 inch an make two from each one :p
    05352F81-1969-48B4-B4D8-F1A930384487_zpsmofk8da3.jpg

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Gotta give you props, Frank. You are always trying something. A while back a guy on one of the boards was shooting 26" arrows with broadheads out of a crossbow (can't remember which bow), and the results looked impressive. I like the broadhead inside the foot stirrup, so I don't even have any 20" arrows anymore. They shoot good enough for me though.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Just got to try them an was sighted dead on at 30 yds. earlier today but a light breeze blowing now. shot all three sitting on my rear an very happy as they seem deadly accurate an forgiving. nothing wrong with my cut in half fletching :p got to watch my trigger after you preload it just guessing 1-1/2-2 lb an the best crossbow trigger I ever shot.now my works done so going fishing!
    DA78CC6C-FBAD-470D-B707-A1C1ECFC4EE3_zpsbuaoqvlj.jpg

bigrak, bunyip slayer and jacol84 like this.
  5. bunyip slayer

bunyip slayer Active Member

Long arrows are way better at long ranges i found out too.the arrows i use and have stocked up on are short #17 long tho,for my recurves.
    its funny how i can shoot a short or long arrow at a target at close range and they both seem to go in about the same,the small one ,up to the fletch,the long one has that extra length of arrow sticking out before the fletch,i fort the longer ,heavyer arrow would go to the nock!

6. bunyip slayer

Ive herd as well that real thin arrows like on compound bows allows the arrows broadhead to slice through flesh a bit better.

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I don,t know much about arrow spine an just test shoot my arrows turning to a different cock fletch most times get the poi,groups I want on some arrows. But these small dia vertical arrows set down in the rail alittle more an wondering if they come off th bow straiter no matter what the spine? trying a different cock vane made no difference in poi,grouping for me with these Long small dia arrows for whatever reason an I like that. all I know is I will be making more as they are the real deal shooters for me.

8. bunyip slayer

You know how ya balance a broadheaded arrow on a flat place and give it a spin test to see if it wobboles heaps or not.im not sure exzat what he said off top my head,a archery dealer told me ,but something about a spin test in a bucket of water i think it was for some reason!

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m not smart enough to know why things work but do know what shoots an what don,t :p

bigrak and bunyip slayer like this.
  10. bunyip slayer

Im not cluey about arrows my self!
    Ive read alloy arrows have stiffer spines...thats about my knowlage..

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Here,s these same three vertical arrows with one a 22 inch maxima hunter 350,two 24 inch zombie 350 with both weighing 345gr. this is my first 50 yd. group today in a light wind sitting on my rear. I never shot so good as I do now with this light trigger an think it,s the reason . once you preload it you put very little pressure on it an it go bang :p
    3D922883-5D90-45B2-A631-D9A8976E4482_zpsa0pl8d26.jpg

12. Phil Talisman

Phil Talisman Member

Yes i been shooting 26" Tapp's from the Mantis and they are very accurate arrow's i am getting some smaller diameter one's made i am waiting for the carbon tubing to arrive these will be 7.5 mm and will be better in cross wind's and more aero dynamic for more kinetic energy at longer range.

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m wondering if arrow spine has much affect on crossbow arrows as they set in the rail grove an come off strait? today I shot my ibex with 32-1/2 inch shaft carbon express 250 heritage ,razer feathers ,regular inserts both ends,100gr tip,spine 373 , 11gpi shafts, weight 480gr. an they shot as good as any arrow I have shot an seem more forgiving. I was sighted in with the zombies at 30yds an these hit dead inline only lower but shot just as good.

I have lots of these arrows an they paper tune shooting bullet holes in paper bare shaft in my Elite,recurve an think they will do the same from my ibex an will try soon .i,m becoming a small dia long vertical arrow fan in my crossbow. when I damage some I will cut them down in length an at 11gpi should make some fine hunting arrows .after moving my sight up shot these three in a light wind R-L setting on my rear at 30yds. an for me they are second to none for accuracy .
    FC974BC7-2F53-4E56-B7A1-3B4A198EACC3_zpslzrrkebe.jpg
    3EE36FEF-4BAB-41FB-BB26-0F540146148C_zps8e2womwr.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Phil Talisman likes this.
  14. Phil Talisman

Phil Talisman Member

Nice picture of a very nice crossbow.