Lop sided buck

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Stalker, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

I was up at 4am this morning. Drank my coffee and took my time getting ready. Headed out door at about 6:30 Oh crap!poop: its almost light already!:eek: First time Ive been out since the time change in the morning. Made my way down to my spot. Put a piece of plastic on my seat cushion as I was sure it would be wet or icy. Got settled in and caught by breath. Pulled out the Tinks synthetic estrus spray gel from under my seat and sprayed some brush out in front of me. Unzipped my leafy jacket and pulled out my caller that was hanging from my neck. Did the doe bleat 3 times then adjusted it down and did 2 fairly aggressive grunts. It was about 6:45 and still fairly dark under the canopy but within 30 seconds I see a fairly large deer come up from the left. It stops with its head behind a tree so I cant tell what it is. I'm thinking its the deer it turned out to be. He steps out from behind the tree and takes a couple of steps slightly quartering away. I'm rock solid on him at 24 yards and squeeze the trigger. Its light enough where I see the arrow disappear right where I want. He bolts off just over the hill and disappears behind the brush. I could hear the arrow hit something after the initial hit so I knew it was a pass through.

Waited about 25 minutes before I did a arrow search.Finally found the Witness arrow about 10 yards past the poi. One of the Swhacker blades was bent up but still in tact:D I new the Witness part of the arrow was just a gimmick and this confirmed it. Hardly any blood on the white part of the shaft. Lost a couple of vanes as well but I've already replaced them and its ready to go again.The Swhacker on the other hand had a slight wobble:eek: but has been through 3 deer so its earned its retirement:D

Not the deer I was hoping for but I can shoot another buck as long as it has 4 points or better on 1 side.He made it about 75 yards up hill for a change:D. Glad to get him out of the gene pool. 20181117_080612.jpg 20181117_080704.jpg 20181117_091632.jpg 20181117_093050_LI.jpg

xcaliber, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Congrats on your buck, how much did he weigh, looks decent sized.:cool:

Stalker likes this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Congrats Paul. Good story and great shot! Those hitch hauls work pretty nice, don't they. Being the old geezer that I am, I made a plywood ramp for mine to make it even easier.;)

Stalker likes this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Congrats! old wacker looks like it,s doing it,s job .good shot on that nice looking buck.

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  5. Stalker

Stalker Member

I didn't weigh him but I'd guess around 130lbs dressed. Pretty good sized for the small rack around these parts.

jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  6. Stalker

Stalker Member

Yes they do work good! I'd like to see a pic of your ramp.I'm always looking for easier:D Their not getting any easier:eek: Especially after a long drag and I rarely have any help. This one wasn't too bad though. He went up hill close to a place where I could drive and load. The drag was only about 6o yards.

jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  7. robertyb

robertyb Member

Nice meat buck. Congrats.

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Nice hunt, and should be tasty venison too, congrats!

Stalker likes this.
  9. Patriot

Patriot Member

Good shot! And good cull buck.

Stalker likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, took some pics of the ramp that I will email to you. Site won't let me upload the pics for some reason.

Stalker likes this.
  11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Congratulations ! Sounds like a great hunt !

Stalker likes this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

Yep short and sweet. Not even long enough to get cold:D