Matrix 380 vs Micro 335 true verified chrongraphed speed

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by davenj8, Feb 20, 2015.

1. davenj8

davenj8 Member

I am a loooong time vertical compound shooter from NJ who has hunted Ohio and Illinois for many years. With NJ relatively new legalization of crossbows for archery season I am looking to buy. I was all set to purchase a Matrix 380 and now the Micro 335 is available to complicate things. The Micro looks to be the one and just so I have no buyers regret I have one burning question. What is the real speed and arrow weight difference between the 2. I have seen a lot of info saying the 380 only really gives about 365FPS and that the micro is anywhere from 330-340fps. With that small of a difference the Micro seems even more appealing. Can anyone verify the 2. I understand arrow weight may play a part. Thanks

2. Long Gone

Long Gone Active Member

Anywhere from 40-45 fps differential with same weight arrow depending on limb deflection of the rigs... ;)

8ptbuk likes this.
  3. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Arrow weight is the most important thing to influence speed ! Another unknown is what size limbs excal installs on your xbow . My 380 with 350 gr arrow and factory string shoots 382 fps . I've got a friend who's 380 shoots 387 ! My brothers 380 shoots 369 fps !!! Only difference is the limb size on these xnows . So you may get your advertised speed , and you !might not ! Its boils down to your personal preference ! A little more speed or a shorter more compact bow . JHO

4. davenj8

davenj8 Member

I think smaller is worth the trade off; looks like I am getting a Micro...

bbahunter and Long Gone like this.
  5. Long Gone

Long Gone Active Member

You won't regret it, dnj8! Welcome to the C/P... ;)

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

There are many that complained about the 380 not delivering the advertised speed, and this is mostly due to lower rated limbs. Not every limb delivers the same deflection poundage, and that will affect the final speed. There are many that equip their 380 with the necessary items to get the most out of them, and many reach 380, or even more. I would say the Micro is the best choice, and it will deliver 335, or more, and if you hunt in tree stands, there is no better Excalibur than the 335 Micro, but my 355 is the cat's meow too. Swamp knows how to get the performance out of his rigs, so I know he was getting 380 out of his.
    Good luck, there are many good deals on the Matrix bows now since the Micro is the hot item.

OldschoolBH and 8ptbuk like this.
  7. davenj8

davenj8 Member

seems like good people on this site thanks

OldschoolBH and Long Gone like this.
  8. XcaliburFX

XcaliburFX Member

Most definitely a lot of good folks here, I know several from other forums. There is also a ton of good info on how to get the most out of your crossbow, as well as other great info. :)

davenj8 likes this.
  9. See4miles

See4miles Member

I tested two Matrix 380s I owned. Both shot 9-11 fps slower than advertised speed. I haven't shot a 350 grainer through the Micro as of yet, but I'm getting 304-305fps with a 427gr arrow I intend to hunt with. The arrow is actually my 380 hunting arrow, which shoots a solid 335-340 fps out of either Matrix. Hope this helps.

davenj8 likes this.
  10. davenj8

davenj8 Member

yes, see4miles. I had my mind set on a 380 but I don't see a tremendous speed advantage over the compact micro. While 30fps may seem like a lot I dot think the trade off is there enough to beat the Micro. If the Matrix was giving an honest 50fps more then it would be a bigger maybe for the matrix. Just my opinion anyway. I like smaller for transport an mobility

See4miles likes this.
  11. DeerBoy_NC

DeerBoy_NC Member

I have a Vortex and a Micro. Got the Micro very late in the season here so I've not killed a deer with it yet, but it sure is a sweet shooter and much easier to handle all around, not just in the treestand. You won't go wrong with either but I think the tradeoff in size is a bigger advantage. I killed 6 deer with the Vortex this year, and the Micro is as fast or faster so I don't think you are giving up much hunting-wise. A Micro will also be a lot quieter than a 380.

davenj8 likes this.
  12. See4miles

See4miles Member

I have no reservations or confidence issues at 304 fps with my Micro. Plus, the size of this little crossbow makes it such a jewel to carry.

ClintRhodes likes this.
  13. See4miles

See4miles Member

I have not found this to be the case. My Micro is loud and rude in comparison to the 380, which is loud and rude. LOL. Honestly though, I don't trouble myself with crossbow noise. I say this time and again but noise reduction is for the shooter's sake, not the game.

8ptbuk likes this.
  14. ClintRhodes

ClintRhodes Member

My Micro is doing 333 fps with a 350gr arrow. 314fps with a 400gr arrow.

This is thru a caldwell chronograph with light kit indoors.

davenj8 likes this.
  15. davenj8

davenj8 Member

ClintRhodes. Is that as a stock setup. Have you added string silencers or Flemish string etc. I like a 400 gr arrow. Also what scope do you have

16. ClintRhodes

ClintRhodes Member

Those numbers are completely stock. I currently have the Varizone scope that came with the bow.

I have a few other strings that I haven't chrono'd yet.

I have the Realtree Xtra Micro by the way.

davenj8 likes this.
  17. davenj8

davenj8 Member

Very nice... I am saving and waiting very impatiently

ClintRhodes likes this.
  18. ClintRhodes

ClintRhodes Member

I just remembered I did actually chrono some other strings :) wow maybe I'm getting old

I'll have to look up those numbers but I have a couple flemmish strings I chrono'd. One with cat whiskers too.

19. ClintRhodes

ClintRhodes Member

Stock String

FPS = 3 shots - 333, 333, 332

Flemmish String
    (without cat whiskers)

FPS = 3 shots - 331, 330, 329

Flemmish String (with cat whiskers)

FPS = 3 shots - 323, 322, 321

20. davenj8

davenj8 Member

Newbie question maybe even another thread but what is the advantage of a Flemish string