Matrix Series Brace Height Issues

Discussion in 'Excalibur Crossbows' started by Tim50, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I have read recently of some Matrix 380 & 405 limb issues that fellow members have been attributing to brace height. I sold off my 380 a while ago but I have been looking to get back into the Matrix series with a 355 or a 330. PLUS with Micro Fever hitting I have already noticed more Matrix's showing up. My question...Is brace height a problem across the board with the Matrix series or is it just an issue on the heavy hitting 405/380? I will say I have not heard of any limb issues on the 355/330/310. Thanks for any input......

2. See4miles

See4miles Member

Tim,
    There seems to be a correlation with brace height being critical in these short limbed Excals. It was not so critical in the old styles for whatever the reason (lots of factors play a role either way). With these new short limbs and so much stored energy, I'm going to guess that they just are not as tolerant of the over-flexing that occurs at the completion of the shot. The severe vibrations and oscillations that must occur during this portion of the limb flex must creat a condition that the limb construction just is not capable of dealing with repeatedly. Therefore, the critical factor seems to be preventing the limbs from a ceetain level of over-flexing that maintaing a positive brace height assures won't happen, or at least happen as soon as it has been showing up.

I own two Matrix 380s and I have not had an issue as of yet. One has been shot over a 1000 times. But I'm always critical of how much prototype testing has been done prior to a release for retail sales by any and all manufacturers. Excalibur is no exception either. If they aren't really performing their due dilligence with these new models then Shame on them!!!! As of now, I'm still completely confident in mine and don't give failure a second thought.

These are just my opinions and not backed by any data by the way.

3. See4miles

See4miles Member

One more thing. I heard they will not try this ultra short limbed Excal in anything highter than the 330, at least for a while. That speaks volumes to me about how difficult developing these ultra narrow, high draw weight limbs must be.

4. cspot

cspot Member

I have not had any trouble with mine, but I do keep the brace height adjusted up. Excalibur could do itself a huge favor by putting a better factory string on them that doesn't stretch so much and also include a stringing device and a warning to keep the brace height adjusted. The factory string on the 380 just keeps stretching and stretching. Even on my 330 it did a lot of stretching.

5. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

See4 thanks for the info....it's appreciated. I like the recurve platform because of its ease of maintenance and just the peace of mind it gives me to not have to worry about timing & presses on an on going basis. It appears with the BOOM in smaller faster recurves we are, IMHO, pushing the recurves into that MORE maintenance window that I personally bought the recurves to avoid. I really like the feel of the Matrix bows ( I owned & traded a 380) & I have been looking for a 355/330 because I was hoping the lower speed/poundage would take them out of the limb/maintenance issues. Honestly I have NEVER had an issue with any full size recurve bow I have ever owned......PLUS I am not a speed guy.

6. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

Cspot have you tried a custom string on either of your Matrix's? I just wonder if a high quality after market string would end this issue or simply "slow" the stretch down. At any point has the stretch stopped? Thanks for sharing your observations.

7. cspot

cspot Member

Tim,

Yes the other factor is the factory string doesn't last long either so I upgraded once it wore out. On the 380 I put a BOO string with whiskers and on the 330 I have a JBK string. Both are working very well.

I think before next year I will own a Micro as I don't think I will be able to resist the temptation to buy one.

8. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

So the new custom strings are a vast improvement over the original equipment string they did not STOP the stretch just slow it down? And before next year the 335Micro will no longer be the flavor of the month....LOL Bottom line is buy what you like....Thanks for the input.

9. cspot

cspot Member

The custom strings ended the issue of the constant stretch.

Yes the Micro is the flavor of the month. I will admit though I liked the compactness of the Matrix line and the Micro being more compact gets my attention.

10. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

If quality custom strings STOPPED the constant stretch that is a HUGE plus.....

11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

What I'm about to say is strictly my opinion , This is why I think the Matrix Bows have a Limb tip come off occasionally . The Matrix bows have a Recurve Limb on it . The Recurve limbs turn up sharply the last 3.5 in. which allow the string to slap it every shot VERY hard . As the string comes down and hits the limb it actually causes the string loop to lose contact with the Limb tip every so slightly ! This causes excessive vibration on he Tip that eventually causes it to Break or come off ! The lower the BH the harder the string hits . How do you stop it ? I suggest tight loops on your string and setting your BH on around 3/4 to 7/8 . A high count Flemish string and medium weight arrows . Like I said at the beginning , this is just my opinion !

12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Agree 100%. That's our opinion now!;)

13. See4miles

See4miles Member

That's good theory 8pt.
    I went to a local sport shop tonight to get a simple fold-up chair and spotted a Micro-Matrix 330 hanging on the rack. Man does it feel good and handle nice! I was actually feeling for my wallet when common sense caught up.. I re-racked the Micro, paid for my chair and got out of there as quick as I could! I want one bad now.. But, I want to see some user feedback first. I don't need the darn thing, I just want it..... Bad condition this crossbow addiction.....

14. See4miles

See4miles Member

One more thing about my 380s. I shoot heavy enough arrows to slow them to about 330fps. I like that speed and weight combination very much. So that may be helping my 380s a lot in the limb stress department. Those heavier arrows are using up a lot of that energy.

15. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

The String Materials used today by most custom builders will basically stop the need to Adj. BH every few days . The biggest reason Excalibur uses D97 for there strings is they know a lot of new customers are going to accidentally dry fire their bow . There's a lot better chance of the limbs surviving with a material that stretches , And besides that its fast !

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The Excalibur strings are machine made also, cost is a big factor when your selling that many strings every week.
    The D97 is a very forgiving material the trade off is the constant stretching an serving slipping where the claws hold the string.
    With the Rhino string on my exocet, the more I shoot it the better it gets, it's rock solid, I rarely adjust the brace height an I shoot & hunt more than average, very few weeks go by I'm not shooting.

17. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I've actually got a couple spools of Rhino I'm testing against the BCY-X material I normally use . I want to see how it compares when used on the higher poundage bows .

Oppie likes this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Looking forward to your results!

19. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

Great information guys!!