Mere hours after my season ended, and I'm already doing stupid things!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Dec 9, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Been thinking about a lot of things crossbow realated lately. Just can't seem to help myself.:rolleyes: I'm preparing to give one of my crossbows to a friend (at least temporarily) to get him into crossbow/archery season. He's only ever gun hunted. He just had a hip replacement, so I don't have to have anything figured out too soon. I have been playing with my Apex rail (11.8") and the front off the bba mag with 32" limbs. On that rail, it draws right around 200#, and pulls so easy. I could pick up an Exo riser and make that one the gift. Also thought about an all-Excal build (it has a 405 Mega trigger in it now) with Matrix limbs, that would make it a 355-360.:cool: So...I did take the Patriot's riser off and put it on the Apex rail. Going from 12.5 down to 11.8 did reduce the click in effort a bit. Noise was just a bit more than the Patriot. I've been reading a thread on C/T about what's going to be new at the ATA, and saw Smokepole said he's having a Matrix/Micro hybrid made that will do 395 with 350gr. or 380 with 400 gr.:eek: Figured two things; 1 - it's going to be a bear to cock!:eek: 2 - I can do that in less than 5 min.;) So my next trick was to put the Patriot front end on the 13.5" bba mag rail. Summoned up my courage and strength, and cocked it. That extra inch:eek:, but I got it to click in. Limb bend looking just a bit scary, but I know Frank makes it work with Bextrix and Noxtrix, so.;) Touched the trigger and:confused:. It actually made no more noise or vibration than the inch shorter Patriot! Did that a few more times, and yeah - faster, a good bit harder to cock, but no more noise.:confused: The only faster crossbow I've shot would have been the 375 (16.5" @ 288#), but I'd have trouble cocking that one even now. I know for sure I don't need any more speed, but...with a crank on that, it wouldn't be bad.:cool: Sorry no pics, though they would not have shown much anyway. Four shots, then everybody's riser got put back on the right rail.:) Not sue yet what the gift bow will be exactly, but it will be a shooter, one that will serve him well.:)

xcaliber likes this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Mighty nice of you, and bringing in another CB hunter is awesome. Wish him & you great success.:)

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I think it,s a guy thing ,we do whatever we feel like doing at the time ,because no one tells us we can,t :D I love hearing that ping when you pull the trigger on the matrix limb power bows :oops: i have some parts I will donate if you need some Jeff to make this guy a bow.

xcaliber likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You are a good man Jeff, everyone needs a friend like you :). I'd be happy to donate what ever parts or pieces you may need, I just happen to have a unmodified exo riser collecting dust :) your more than welcome to it.

xcaliber likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I appreciate the thoughts. Gotta remember, I was given one of the finest recurves in all the land by Brian. Just trying to be half as good, I suppose.

Bruce, I'll take you up on that, but I will send something you might want to experiment with in exchange!;)

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sounds like a plan. Shoot me your address an I'll box it & get it on the way :).

xcaliber likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Not sure when my friend Bill will be ready to shoot some (he just had a hip replacement), but we have a starter set up. Used the 32" limb front end (has spare limbs, thanks once again, bba) with an 11.5" rail that used to belong to a very famous writer and forum king;). After cocking and shooting the faster 'curves, this one feels like it almost cocks itself.:) About 195# @ 11.5, just a smidge slower than the setup I used last summer to shoot 3D. Very quiet, nice shot. When he's ready for more power, we have some options.:)

Been "previewing" the all-Excal 355. Pretty nice, solid. One thing I've noticed with all the experimenting is that some combos just work better, and shoot nicer/quieter/less vibe than others. I have yet to understand just why. Brian really nailed it with that Patriot hybrid, and I think that is the ceiling for non-crank recurves for this old geezer.;)

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That is something most of us would like to understand. Bill is mighty lucky to have you for a friend :D

xcaliber, bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks. I know him from our church mission projects together. He is a great guy. I am in debt to other great people here, so the least I can do is pay it forward.

xcaliber, bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's a gift be able to help others out, our time & knowledge is the most valuable thing we can offer. At least that's my opinion, that and $4.50 will get you a small coffee :p :D.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

"famous writer and forum king" LMFAO ! :D how true Jeff, but he doesn't seem quite the same anymore. :eek:

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Agreed.

xcaliber likes this.