MIddleton Limbs compatability question

Discussion in 'Middleton Crossbows' started by MI_Bowhunter, Sep 23, 2017.

1. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I just noticed a splinter on one limb and a twist on the other limb of my 355SS.

LimbSplit_001.jpg LimbSplit_002.jpg

LimbTwist_001.jpg LimbTwist_002.jpg

Knowing I will probably never get a response from Middleton on this I was curious what is involved with fitting Excalibur limbs on this model? Are there other brands of limbs that will fit without much modifications?

I'm not looking to gain any more speed and would not be devastated if the end result is slower, I'm not a speed junkie.

I just like the bows weight and balance and hate to scrap it over this but really trying to weigh the option of just selling it for parts or trying to keep it going.

Thanks!

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I don't know of any other limbs that fit right in. Matrix limbs will fit, if you open up the riser at the recoil clips (outside of the riser where the bolts hold the piece down on the limbs.) I've never opened up that area, but I do have a hybrid that was done by someone else. Both sets of Matrix limbs that I have are actually narrower than Middleton limbs at the limb bolt hole. The Matrix limbs should give you almost the same performance as the Middleton limbs, which are almost impossible to get now. I agree they are great bows. Very light, as accurate as anything out there. The Matrix limbs do make more noise at the shot, but the performance is about the same for the 355 SS, and you can still get Matrix blem limbs for $80 from Excalibur. Good luck getting your bow back up and shooting. I really love mine.:D

3. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Too bad Derrick hasn't gotten his shit together, the man has talent, but apparently not on the business end. :rolleyes:
    And he is a great guy to talk to when you can get a hold of him.

4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Also when Dr. Frankinbow can't get a hold of Derrick, probably no one will, he lives close by if i remember correctly.

BTW, WHERE IS BIG JOE?

5. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Thanks for the feedback.

So I can just call up Excalibur and ask for Matrix blem limbs? I assume the limbs from a Matrix 355 would be the closest to what I have?

Oppie likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

All Matrix limbs are the same. They vary power by different power stroke. You can ask for the finish you want if they have them. Masboy and Wapinheimer on here have done that, maybe others too. As far as the mod on the riser, bbahunter (Brian), Wapinheimer, Masboy, maybe others have done it. It involves carefully filing to add with to the riser, or having someone do the same on a milling machine. Any of the guys above can tell you what they did exactly, or like I said on Crossbow Nation, you could ask ************.

7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

On the excal risers you have to file away part of the threads on the inside of the recoil brackets almost to the screw its self. The recoil strap screws will end up almost touching the sides of the limbs. Theres enough threads under the limbs to still hold the screws with out any issues. My recoil straps aren't very tight anyway, just snugged up.

jacol84 likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

If I get a chance I'll get a picture for you, matrix limbs aren't all that much wider.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  9. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Thanks, any info would be appreciated. Looking at my bow the limbs are practically touching the bolts as it is, not sure I can take much off.

10. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Just got off the phone with Excal, new limbs incoming!

Little excited to see how this will turn out.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Wapinheimer and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sweet! If my memory is right, you may have them by the weekend :D.
    Here's a couple pics of my excal, it's not as hard as you'd think to widen the pocket out enough for the limbs to drop in. I just used a coarse file to fit them in.

P1030025.JPG P1030025.JPG P1030026.JPG P1030028.JPG P1030029.JPG P1030026.JPG P1030028.JPG

13. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Great info. Thanks.

They asked me which Matrix, I told them 355, not sure it mattered if the limbs are all the same, perhaps just for the correct camo.

Just an FYI they were $100 and should ship tomorrow.

My hunting season opens on Sunday but I have two other bows so no rush. I can hunt til Jan 1 so I should have time.to get it back into play this season.

jacol84 likes this.
  14. Wapinheimer

Wapinheimer Member

Get yourself a set of earplugs....for some reason they tend to be a lil loud....lool

I kinda like this legend thing being attached to my name...Im gonna make my wife read this and demand more respect..... (watch out for that left hook) :eek:

15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

As far as the noise thing, they are definitely louder than the Middleton limbs, but not too bad. The Patriot has a set of Limbsaver broadbands just off the riser, and I think they really cut the vibration down (better than the "X shocks" which I'm pretty sure are Bowjax stabilizer dampers). I also put a set of Tunerz about 4" outside of them. I can tell you it is much quieter than the 2 Matrix 380s I shot, and just as powerful.:D

xcaliber and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  16. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I have an Excal Phoenix which always seemed louder than the Middleton. Would it be on par with that or worse?

As long as I have a functional, accurate bow I think I'll be happy.

xcaliber likes this.
  17. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

The Patriot is no louder (probably quieter) than the Vixen we used to have, just a different sound. More agressive thump, but much less vibration. Considering it's about 100 fps faster, it's not too bad.;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  18. robertyb

robertyb Member

Was the $100 in Canadian funds or USA?

19. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I'm not sure, I assumed USD.

Oppie likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Looking forward to your project report. Comparing a matrix with a draw length close to yours and it should give you a very good idea of arrow speed give or take a little.