Mini shad spoons

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, May 7, 2019.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Here's a couple! Top is my Ruger security six, bottom is Taurus 66. That big hole in the pipe will put the fear in most folks. Bottom one is my H&R 9 shot .22.

P1050310.JPG

xcaliber likes this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice guns,I,m partial to that security six ,but that Taurus sure looks great ,never owned one but read good things on them an there prices are right. one of my first handguns was a 9 shot H&R revolver .I keep telling myself I don,t need another handgun:rolleyes::p

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Things are looking up as I was down at the river this morning. carp are spawning ,splashing in the reeds along the creek .rivers high an stained but not unfishable .heading out this evening for anything I can catch.i would like to go up river in the fast water for walleye,smallies but think it,s high,dangerous .not worth risking your life for some fish.i never lived this long on the water by being completely stupid :p

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Oppie likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The security six was my father in-laws, he probably didn't put two boxes of shells thru it. I got the Taurus and H&r in a trade deals. They are old enough to be well made and have been shot enough to be smooth triggers.
    Yes sir, be safe, ain't no fish worth dying for, the river water still had a lot of color to it yesterday I'm going to see my dad this afternoon, I'll check it out again but I'm pretty sure it's high yet.
    One of my buddy's got his kids on some carp last weekend and they got some big ones, big fish and bigger smiles.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's still running high but has cleared some from what is was earlier this week near the Ny line. I just saw a buddy pics of some nice fat Smallies he caught near the boarder so they're biting anyway.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds good ! I,m heading out early in the morning.son says the waters running high below the coniwingo dam from his buddy's reports ,that were out fishing the tournament this morning.said that they had there limit an had fish in 1-2-3 place in the tournament . that was early an I,m sure things changed as the day went on.they were fishing live perch on the bottom.i,m going to be trolling my homemade spoons,bucktails ,chatter rap blades with swim baits on them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Oppie likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Best of luck & be safe out there. We got another thunder storm this evening so some area's have a flash flood warnings but it not bad here yet.

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I called the coniwingo dam hotline to find out how much flow for today an quite a bit . so decided to go out up my way instead .warm water discharge 86 degrees an not a bite :confused:an most of the river around 70 degrees except up river where I went to the fast water in the 60s . river so dirty I could only see my pole tip about 2 inches down,fast water was worse than that . not a bite an that sun started giving me a melt down:confused::p

Oppie likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The river is staying in the low 60's around here and still cloudy but a little better. It rained most of the afternoon here. My tomatoes are drowning, make it stop!

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Called today an 2 more large gates open than yesterday:confused: nothing better to do so went anyway,launch was so crowed I could hardly find a place to park ,wait to launch :confused: thought I made a wrong turn an went to China as there was so many Asians there boating :eek: I finally got in an some dirty water just like above the dam. I could only see my rod tip 2 inches under the water :confused:

I trolled for hours an no stripers but did manage 1 catfish ,1 carp that both ate my flutter spoon . I tryed everything that I always caught stripers on an not 1 fish other than on my spoons. can,t wait to try them when the water clears.water temp was 69-70 degrees ,light orange color.some Asians tryed talking to me but niether of us understood the othero_O I,m limited in sigh language an only know three (high,by,f you):oops: did see a few small ones caught on live perch fished on bottom in the dirty water.if that water don,t clear soon I,m looking for a new hobbie besides fighting with the wife :confused::p

11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here ;). At least I can go to the local county pond and catch sunfish & perch by the bucket full.

jacol84 likes this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Love it!

Oppie likes this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We have a couple lakes around here but too many rules. locked gates with open time in morning,off water by 8 pm :confused: same down at fishermans park at coniwingo dam closes at dusk:confused: they have security guards so don,t know why people can,t fish when they want . use to be a big thing fishing at night off the dam catwalk an below at night. we all had a great time as they had a pavilion an snack machines for the fisherman.i hate rules that affect most that do nothing wrong ,just enjoying a good time:confused:

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same thing here. Just to many rules :p.
    It's not just us getting hammered with rain, Lake Ontario is at a new record level this week and flooding shore lines, docks are under water there's a lot of logs an docks debris floating in the lake. They are sand bagging and using inflatable dams along some of the shore lines. Midwest has farms under water, farmers can't plant crops.

My tomatoes are drowning, but the deer have already ate half of them anyway in the week they've been in the ground :eek:. Think I might plant some Rice instead........

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Getting to be a every year thing with this high water:confused: we got maters,peppers,cucumbers ,squash ,green tea,strawberries,grape vine in ours an that,s about all we ever plant,buy whatever else we want .we have a free launch down at the river that has no docks ,lights ,you got to have a 4x4 to get in an out on the gravel but free. 10$ to launch at the marina:confused: that's owned by our electric co to get access to our river:confused: limits my fishing ,pay to play :confused: I,m buying my sons 4x4 an selling my 2wd Chevy ,free launches soon!!!!!!

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I'm using the free fish commission launches, they have em every 10 miles or so along the river here. Meeting a buddy in the morning for some river fishing where he caught his musky a couple weeks ago, I'm all stocked up on tubes & jigs. The river is only a couple hundred yds wide & around 25 ft deep there but moves right along :D .

jacol84 likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Here's the river this morning @ terrytown @ the fbc launch. Think around 18 ft was the deepest I saw today. Caught a few small smallies, one decent one.

Terrytown.jpg

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks great! at least you got some smallies .been some beautiful weather here the last couple days. not looking forward to the heat returning :confused: going back to port deposit soon as the water level drops an clears up.my one son just got back from port deposit today an said they got some big stripers trolling lures today. said the water was still dirty but not as high.i been helping my son an will get down later this week I hope.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Fish.jpg

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Love it!