Minnow trap at the Old mill dam.

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Last week when the weather was nice I decided my bass were hungry so I took my minnow trap down to a good spot below a old mill dam. I didn't get any minnows or sheds but got some pictures anyway.
    This is a hand laid stone dam from the 1800's, amazing it's still standing.
    Any guess's what the track is? I have a idea but I'm not expert tracker or anything. 1-P1020768.JPG 1-P1020770.JPG 1-P1020771.JPG 1-P1020772.JPG 1-P1020774.JPG 1-P1020775.JPG

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Beautiful place! yote?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I'm thinkin coyote or maybe someone's dog. What do you use to bait your minnow trap? Dogfood nuggets?|

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Used half a hot dog, after three days I caught one tadpole :eek:. Most of this stream above this old dam was bulldozed and all the trees dead removed few years ago for flood control so all the deeper pools are gone. I'm wondering if it might be a bobcat track?
    I saw lots of fresh deer tracks :)

Jack Pine and OldschoolBH like this.
  5. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

It just might be a bobcat; normally you'd expect to see claw marks in canine tracks.

Oppie likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That was my thinking also.

Here is a coyote track I found a couple yrs ago for comparison. The yote track was 20 yds in front of my blind...

P1020619.JPG 1-P1020775.JPG

7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The tracks were all along the stream bank right tight to the hemlock trees, something was hunting for squirrels. We have several red fox to but they stay higher on the hills looking for mice, chickens & ducks..... :eek:. I'm always looking for tracks when I'm out & about. I noticed where something scratched up some ground moss almost like a scrape??
    Old picture of a bobcat same area.

stampDSC04880.JPG

bbahunter likes this.
  8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Here kitty kitty!

9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Very nice pics Bruce!

Oppie likes this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks Dan. The mill dam shows on a 1860's Beers atlas map so it's been around many years. I'll be plowing out the landowners driveway tomorrow, shes my second mom.