Missed opening day

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

1st day of our rifle today an I was unable to attend o_O it happened last evening as I headed from the kitchen thru our foyer to the living room. I have a gate I made an setup in the doorway to keep some of our critters out . I was bopping along an decided to hop over the gate ,as I did my front foot cleared an the rear foot didn,t catching the top of the gate . sent me in a belly flop to the floor hitting my forehead on the pointy corner of a solid wood end table on the way down :eek:

Blood everywhere with a deep cut above my eyebrow. it put a knot the size of a goose egg on my forehead ,hurt my knee also an could not hardly bend it. I left the bloody white wash rag that was red with blood on the sink an that got the wife excited when she got in from work :rolleyes::p getting better today an now walking,knot went down some .one thing you can bet on is I take it nice an slow over the gate now :oops:like Patriot says if you dumb you better be tough:p

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Geez, you gotta quit doing those stunts Frank, must be a real aching to keep you from opening day!

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Windy an rainy here anyway an was just going behind my home as the river was rough. calling for windy most of the week so no river hunting for a few days. my son was scouting around the river hills above where I hunt by boat in the same valley an seen a couple big boys . just hard to get good weather for anything this year. seems like I get hurt doing everything anymore an now even inside the house o_O I don,t know if I,m tough enough to handle these golden years :eek::p

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Very sorry to hear that, Frank. Can't say I missed sitting in the rain and wind with 8 guys within 150 yards of my stand, but I may have been able to witness some good fights, I suppose.:rolleyes:

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Dam son, you need a helmet :p.

I haven't been out at all this week, the weather has totally sucked around here so far this week. I saw three doe from the house Monday so I was happy, even though I never opened the gun safe :D. Had a nasty white out this morning an picked up a couple quick inches of snow.
    Tomorrow is looking better.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Same here not out yet an with nasty wind 50mph gust today:eek: sons up your way today next to NY looking at a couple log skidders forsale.i told him don,t run over a man On a Polaris hauling deer running around up there:p

jacol84, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's not a nice day out here at all, that wind is brutal, snow doesn't bother me so much. Hope your son wore so florescent orange so nobody mistakes him for a flat-lander :p.
    Neighbor and his grandson were down yesterday but they didn't see a deer. I saw a button buck right after they left, it walked across my pond dam like it owned it!

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

If I could get out, I'd take a crappy day over nothing!:p:eek:
    Good luck fellas!;)

Oppie, jacol84 and robertyb like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I made it out for a couple hrs this morning and saw 4 doe but the wind was all wrong for where I was so didn't hang around long, not to mention there was close to a foot of snow out there. Deep enough I fell in a skidder rut I never saw :eek:.
    Think I'll try a different area this afternoon.

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Snow already dang :oops: I love to hunt in it but not in the wind. thought I may make it out this evening but sons off work an I will watch the grand daughter .as he does lots for me an works a lot .other son had a great time coming out of New York last evening an got pulled over by NY police an ticketed for too bright of head lights ,it,s brand new all stock ford diesel f 250 . said he told the cop it,s all factory but he didn,t care :confused: he was pissed:mad:

Oppie likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Hope better luck comes to you guys and your son, Frank.

Oppie likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was watching the grand daughter this evening as my son hunted .he called me an said he,s sending me pictures of his deer he wacked .

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We have a inch or so of rain an 40-50 degree temps coming this weekend, it's going to be a mess. I already had to plow snow once, then I took the snow plow off the Polaris an the cinder blocks outta the back of it for deer season.
    We've had snow on the ground most of this week.

Those Ny. state trooper have no sense of humor :rolleyes:, unlike Pa they use mobile speed radar, if you see one they already know how fast your traveling. They have a new tactic they are using on I86 (old rt 17) where they close the right lane and force all traffic into the left lane so everyone passes a parked trooper with a license plate scanner and radar :confused:. Unlike Pa. every local town police force has mobile radar also, it's a major money maker for them.

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I haven,t recieved the pictures yet o_O mabye another one of his Boone& crocket bucks with lots of shrinkage :rolleyes::p

Oppie likes this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks like all going good today as the daughters taking care of the grand daughter while her dad hunts. going out for my first time ,behind my home carrying only my 2x scoped 460 S&W . if it,s legal it,s getting some lead .i would go out on the river but halfway still on the injured list . good river hunting tomorrow as light wind with lots of hunters on top the hills if I can manage everything by myself.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Good luck Frank!

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Best of luck man, sending that poor guy out with a hand cannon that size, you should be video taping that episode for us guys to watch :p.
    I spent 3/4 of the day hunting with a three neighbors, I saw one small doe, the crazy lady saw two doe, that was it for the four of us.
    A guy stopped by me in a dump truck said he just saw a coyote a hundred yards farther back in the woods. I saw a pair of coyote tracks but that's it.

18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I rode the four wheeler back to hunt tonight an left it behind the hill. started to rain right before I went hunting . nice calm deer light rain evening but seen nothing an not even a shot except a few far away. first thing I did setting there was remove the scope an never again will I scope a handgun for hunting. red dots or open sights for me on handguns as I,ve killed deer with both on handguns, but never with a scope on one. glad to get home with my wet arss:p

19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Many years ago, I had a TC contender 14" barrel in .30 Herrett with a 2x Leupy on it. That thing could shoot 1.5-2" groups at 100. I traded it to a buddy of mine, and the next year, watched him drop a doe at 120 yds with a neck shot.:eek:

Oppie likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We had a mix of light snow & light rain most of the day so it was a nice day for hunting but the snow cover is crunchy so it's tough being sneaky but they are easier to spot, beats hunting in T shirt weather we've had some years.