Missed opening day

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Very nice!!

xcaliber likes this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

He finally sent me a picture ,looks like he was a real fighter for no bigger than he is :p
    image.png

jacol84, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  3. robertyb

robertyb Member

It was 54 degrees here yesterday morning at first light and I went to a section of my club that I do not think anyone has hunted this year and had a 2 or 3 year old 8 point walk by feeding at 7:25 AM but let him walk on by as he needs a couple of more years. I also had 7 fox squirrels chasing each other around me all morning. I had never seen them all bunched up like that before. It is pouring down rain out there now and I want to be hunting but not bad enough to go out and get soaked.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s how you kill the biguns ,you wait till they grow older:p son in Tennessee told me the same thing just a couple days ago that he seen a bunch of fox squirrels all in one bunch.

xcaliber likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Robert, after seeing the big one you already shot, I can understand letting him walk. How is your shoulder doing?

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My son was just here an said he found out he didn,t kill the buck ,but just finished it off . he had his buddy that's not killed much an let him shoot at it with his 243 at 100yds. they thought he missed as the deer hardly reacted an my son then dropped it.he skinned it an found his buddy's small entry hole in the middle of the deer ,then found the 243 87g bullet full mushroom under the hide on the other side with no exit. his buddy was real happy about that.
    If you both shoot at the same deer while hunting with my son you got to watch as he will tell you what a great shot you made :oops: he tryed that with me on a running deer we both shot at . thought I made my first great long distance running shot with my 223 till I seen the exit hole from his heavy barrel 308 :confused: I told him just tag your dam deer an he smiled :p

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Member

Frank, I know your mind says you can do it but your body quits halfway through whatever your mind says you can do, known as aging. I'm here to tell you I use to stand on Helicopter skids to record Canadian Army Exercises while Flying or jump with them when putting an attack in, well at 76 I don't do that anymore , why? cause I tried it 20 years ago and nearly bought the big farm. I was lucky and so were you my friend, so let's count ourselves lucky. What I have noticed now that I have slowed down considerably, stalking comes naturally as that is now my normal gait. Give your self time to recuperate and be careful we need guys like you to stick around: Cheers: Cactus

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Thanks! I slow down anymore from everything I use to do I,m going to be stopped :p

Oppie likes this.
  9. Cactus

Cactus Member

Frank; Stopping to re-evaluate every once in awhile is not a bad idea. Just take care , you're important to our fraternity but especially to your family. I'm sorry you missed the opener, me being in Alberta, Canada our hunting season closed yesterday until spring bear.

10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've slowed down but I always keep moving forward. This was one of the few years I didn't archery at all, barely got out the first week of rifle deer, hoping to do better next week .

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  11. Cactus

Cactus Member

Slowing down and moving forward makes you more stealthy LOL. Frank we all have off years , mine wasn't great this year except for the Wyoming Antelope.Mind you archery even with a Crossbow is limiting. Cheers: Cactus

jacol84 likes this.
  12. robertyb

robertyb Member

It is working but still hurts. I will probably end up getting another surgery done. I saw a BIG 7 or 8 point that had palmated antlers this morning but it stayed in some thick stuff about 150 yards out and finally went off with 2 fawns mama while the fawns came over and fed around me for almost 2 hours till I finally spooked them so I could climb down. Never saw the big buck or the doe again. 2nd rut is in.

13. Cactus

Cactus Member

Robert: Shoulder problems are a pain in the @#$%# but literally very painful, I have extensive arthritis in both mine part of the golden years gift LOL. That's what brought me to crossbows and it has replaced my Compound , now if only Alberta would allow it into archery season . I enjoyed my antelope hunt in Wyoming tremendously to have a wild animal at 23 yards is special to start with and he tastes excellent besides. Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing more Harvest stories from you. Cheers: Cactus

jacol84 likes this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My oldest in Tennessee wacked one this evening ,I,m waiting on a picture. if he keeps up the killing spree he,s on there will be a deer,coyote shortage in Tennessee :rolleyes::p
    image.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  15. Cactus

Cactus Member

Frank: How many Deer is he allowed in Tennessee, mind you coyotes are open just about everywhere in NA with no limit.

16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I don,t know but I will ask him when he calls

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Son just called an said 2 bucks total for all seasons,4 doe in each season of bow,rifle,muzzle loader.

18. Cactus

Cactus Member

Wow, 2 Bucks and 12 Doe depending what you hunt with. That could translate into a lot of protein. Must be really healthy deer herd with too many Doe. Well here in our area of Alberta we're allowed one Whitetail (Doe or Buck) and 1 Mule Deer Buck ( sparse)everything else is on a draw, like Moose & Elk and it may take six years to get drawn. You guys are lucky as our winters are hard on the animals.

19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Our good old states like the money from doe permits an don,t care about how much they thin the herd out . you guys have some big bruisers up there an guess they have to be big,tuff to survive .that would suck waiting years for a permit .

20. Cactus

Cactus Member

Sounds familiar, the Fish & Wildlife in Government are supposed to protect the resource but money has become the driving force for all. In our case they left double doe tags in place so long that it has taken 5 years or more to see deer coming back. The problem is the political end is only interested in money and have the nerve to pretend that they actually care.