Mr. Murphy couldn't prevent me from having a good morning.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, here we go. Ready for my next stab in the dark.;) About 50 yards uphill from the place I saw the buck. Spent a bit of time trying to make a hide near that spot, then when I was just walking around a bit to check for sign, I saw the stump and the location, and thought the heck with the other place. Wanted to scout the eastern side of the property today, but they were running equipment in there, so this will have to do.:) First pic is my entry into the hide, second pic is the deer's eye view.

new blind, side view.jpg
    new blind, deer's eye view.jpg

bbahunter likes this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good looking hiding spot. I've used very similar methods before with good results. The hemlocks are great for holding their needles an keeping you hidden for a couple weeks.

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, I'm pretty sure I saw the same buck again, this time right at sunrise. He came within 15 yards. Looked to be a 7 pt. with spread out at the ear tips, so 15-16" I suppose. Still OK with not shooting a buck this year (must be Frank's influence;)), even though this guy faces long odds once the gun season opens up. Kicked two big doe out walking down the high road, and they ran downhill. Just about the same spot I kicked two or 3 deer out on Monday. Monday I was on the middle road, and they ran up. Went up the middle road a bit and made a quick sitting spot about 25 yards from where they probably cross that road. Don't really know, but it's a shot. Rather kill a decent sized doe for venison and let the buck grow (if he makes it past others). Landowner wants doe shot, though I'm still not feeling the "too many deer" thing.;)Back at it next week. Spuds all day tomorrow.

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Heard a few ML shots yesterday but nothing close yet, probably tomorrow the ML guys will be after does hot & heavy.
    Deer around here seem to have switched foods now that the apples are about gone.

5. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, take that nice 7 pt. unless you really believe you will regret it.
    Or put a big doe in the freezer, per landowner wishes. ;)

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

We'll see. A certain shadowbark bow was probably upset with me today.;)

bbahunter likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

All depends on what you want an nice to know he was yours for the taking if you wanted .that,s just as good as a kill only better I think as he lives on an may bring more joy to someone else . took me years to figure out if I want a nice buck I had to stop shooting smaller ones :p when I feel the urge to wack something I do :p tag soups not so bad as I have it quite often :p

jacol84 likes this.
  8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Tag soup isn't horrible, but venison tastes alot better. ;)

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have some friends that still haven't figured that out yet. Deer management in Pa. is still a mystery to some folks.... I know a couple of guys that still believe it's better to take any deer than not get a deer at all :rolleyes:.

xcaliber likes this.
  10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's exactly how it is in Indiana on public land!

Oppie likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I agree there. Tag soup here in '14 and '15, but we survived.;)

Just used the last of the '16 venison. Made a cheese steak pizza. Will do that again, I can tell you.:D

Oppie, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That does sound good!
    If I get a shot a decent size doe, I kill it, fill the freezer, and then hold out for a decent buck. I have had some years where we had tag stew & soup, I'm not one of them guys that has to kill a deer to avoid a few jabs from those that don't hunt.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I hunted with our neighbors for 10 yrs before I killed a buck with the group, then I only took it because it was the end of last day he had a broken front leg. I had already decided to let him walk on until he started limping. No idea what happened but I was dreaming of Tag soup an he screwed that up for me.

14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Welp, Murphy kicked my butt this morning.:(:rolleyes:. Went up to the blind to find some of it kinda broken down from this week's wind and rain. Didn't much matter. About legal shooting time, I heard a deer moving above me.:rolleyes: I tried to turn my head as slowly as I know how, and half way through the motion, SNORT,SNORT. Apparently the neighborhood blabbermouth/old bitty is up there.:mad: I sat still for over 10 min. when I heard some deer below me. Tried to turn very slowly again, and Ms. busybody starts up again, probably 6-10 times.:mad: Tried some grunt calls about an hour later, and heard one twig snap/leaves. Definitely a deer, but never came in. Did some scouting before I left, and I'm going back to set up another blind on a different part of the property before Sunday/Monday's heavy rain storm.:( Guess this is what happens when a mediocre hunter passes up a decent buck on a property that is OK but not great. Still blessed to have permission to hunt there though.

15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Always blowing an snorting bout sumthing, best way to shut her up is with a arrow.........

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the deer are getting real twitchy & nervous, like the ruts about to start or something :).
    Good luck, this front will get them moving.

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Our deer always seem nervous around here :eek: I like the pre rut best for my calling,hunting ,when they pair up in the peak rut I see very little an mostly small deer that got chased away I guess.

18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I was reminded of 2011 when I was scouting the flat east of where the blind was. Saw the tree where my youngest son shot his first archery buck. Since I had an early doe, and Chris's buck, I figured I didn't need to shoot anything else. I got up in the stand a week after he got the buck. A herd of maybe 16-18 deer came out the flat from the west. There were at least 3 bucks, including a big 9 pt. that we had been seeing for 3 years. He was a 5, then 7, then 9, always missing the g-3 on the right with a high, but not that wide rack. He was after a doe and a small Y buck got a little too close. The 9 pt. charged at the Y and the little one leaped into the branches of a deadfall to get away from big daddy.:eek: Definitely worth getting up that morning.:D Only bad thing was the dang video camera didn't work.:mad:

bbahunter likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Better than any Tv show ever :). I've been seeing a button buck that's just scared for some reason. He just doesn't know where to go or what to do, he's all alone and all the other deer have been picking on him :) .

20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Don,t shoot, he might be rudolf :oops::p

Oppie likes this.