Mr. Murphy couldn't prevent me from having a good morning.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Naaa, he's just a little fella, he came close enough I could hear him sniffing an chewing apples :p

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Today was my day to hunt this week (maybe Friday?). Went up to the mountain and almost had to nudge a doe out of my parking spot. Thought that was an omen. It wasn't.;) Last deer I saw (or heard) today.:rolleyes: That property has "gone dead" several times in the last 10 years we've been hunting it. Guess this is one of those times. May have to try one of the spots in 5C, but they are both long shots.:(

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I may have gotten some small hope. I decided to go up to the mountain and scout today, with it being so warm and humid. I saw the landowner walking his dogs, so I talked with him a while. He told me about a lot of rubs and scrapes that I had not seen. Kinda low on the property, so it risks having deer blow up my spot before daylight, but it connects with a pattern I saw starting in 2012. I thought I would look over on the East side, near the place I killed the buck last year. Found a scrape over there, and two big trees freshly rubbed. Tracks on the newly leveled road. Not many, but some big tracks. Gotta be there in one of my two blinds near that spot next week when it cools down. Never went all the way up above the private property into the game lands which was my plan when I left the house.:rolleyes: If it works, there will be a lot less dragging.;)

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Now your hunting like me! I'm pretty much done tugging on deer unless I really have to then it better be down hill...

jacol84 likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

20171107_063105_resized.jpg

Phone just couldn't get the color of the sky at sunrise. It was pretty cool. A "ghost buck" came by right at first light, about 20-25 min before I took this pic. Decent buck at 20-25 yards. I suppose it could have been the 7 I passed on earlier, but this is at the other side of the property. Just a bit too early, but I could sense the movement, then saw the tail flick, then the whitish rack. Never acted like he knew I was there, so that was good. Three does came by out of range about a half hour after I took this pic. Around 8, the wind shifted in a bad direction, so I got out. Friday and Saturday look like good (cold) temps and good west or northwest winds. Final push.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Beatiful sunrise on the way by the picture, glad you seen deer an wish you luck. I seen my first deer this morning on a combo fish ,hunt . soon as I started trolling I didn,t get 100yd an seen a small buck walking 10 yd from the waters edge on the flat.turned into more of a hunting trip,but did troll some with no luck fishing .

water was alittle ruff with some wind this morning an got worse as I had Murphys help when I seen the deer I dropped my anchor an it wouldn't hold,put a rage on the deck an It wouldn't stay closed so got my other arrow an same thing as I forgot to put on new collers :confused: then stepped on one arrow an broke the end off :confused: seen a dead one laying on the shore with a nice rack but had no saw. wind got bad so I came in an threw the rage in the junk box an screwed on my tricks:D ,changed to a different anchor .Muphy loves me :p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

23231478_1728706870474214_1587030487580516361_n.jpg

This is what it looks like in a pic from one of the family that owns the property. Not sure why my phone couldn't get the color right. Frank, sounds like you had an exciting, but frustrating morning.

8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, you did the right thing getting out of there with the wind direction change. That has been happening alot to me this season also, then iam forced to change areas.:rolleyes:
    Crazy weather this year, this week we are finally getting cold weather, so now it feels like deer season. :D

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've been fighting the wind on the farm with the corn fields, there's several revines, a pond, knops and dips, wherever I go the wind swirls an changes every few minutes.

Son told us he almost smacked a four point @ 3:30am this morning coming home. I've seen a lot of bucks moving the last few days, but I'm in Ottawa Ca. for a few days so no hunting for me. Saw snow flurries yesterday near Watertown Ny, yuck....

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s the story of my life playing the wind :confused: it seems to swirl ,change everywhere I go so may as well not worry about it. but I do know when it blows where the deer I do see are I get busted .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Washed a warmer jacket and thick sweat pants for Friday and Saturday's colder weather. Hung them out on the clothes tree rather than put them in the dryer. When I get home from shopping, the neighbor is on the lawn tractor, mowing. Guess it's better to smell like fresh cut grass than human.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Oppie, xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm taking Friday off to hunt, then hitting the farm Saturday for mid day to dark hunt. Sunday it's a morning only since my darling Wife planned a birthday party at house for our daughter. She's gonna be 28 already!:eek: When do the parties stop?:confused::cool:

Oppie, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Never ever :p, my daughter just turned 29 :D, yep had to do stuff with her for her birthday.....

xcaliber likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Love it when my clothes are frozen stiff !

xcaliber likes this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Young Allen's.jpg

Yeah, my daughter-in-law turned 26, so we had to celebrate. I was OK with it though.;)

bbahunter likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well Heck Yeah! I'm just teasing, I would not miss one of my kids birthdays for anything, not even deer hunting.:rolleyes:

bbahunter likes this.
  17. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Especially if there were some beers waiting for you, ( like in the picture above) right Dan? lmao!!:D

18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You know it!:cool:

bbahunter likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've taken my daughter deer hunting for her birthday :D, shes still daddy's girl :). Her other half doesn't play with bows, firearms or fishing poles, other than that he's a great guy ;). Little does he know how well his princess can shoot :D. That girl will shoot anything with a smile on her face!

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Job well done, Bruce.:D

Just back from Cabelas after reading so much good stuff about Evercalm and Deer Dander. Bought both and heading out soon until dark. Tomorrow morning (at least), maybe afternoon if this stuff makes it OK to hunt a bad wind direction like some are saying. Doesn't much matter anyway. Last time I will be there before boom boom season, and that's just a deer running scared crapshoot in most of PA.;)

bbahunter and xcaliber like this.