Mr. Murphy couldn't prevent me from having a good morning.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nada. No deer, no squirrels. Did have a house wren a few feet away again. It's been there every time I go to the blind. Pileated woodpecker startled me when it started hammering away on a dead, dry oak about 20 yards behind me. Thought the temp drop would fire them up. Not where I was I guess.

2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I thought the same thing but couldn't brave that wind. I have a feeling there'll be some people small game an turkey hunter's moving around they might stir them up.

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

What was mud yesterday was frozen and crunchy today. Felt like I made a ton of noise going in. When I was getting close to the blind, a few deer blew out and ran up the hill. Didn't see anything while on stand. (Even my friend the wren flew the coop.;)) Deer are getting way up the mountain much earlier than they have the last several years. Oh, well. Statewide archery is over for me. Maybe I'll get out a little for the 5c extended season until the 25th. Then orange boom boom.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Oppie likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It was cold this morning. I had a small doe out in our field most of the morning then the small four point showed up an munched with her for a while. I'm going out this afternoon/evening.

jacol84 likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Only thing I saw this evening was the flock of turkeys and they stayed around 70yds out so no way I'm slinging expensive arrow's at them, 10lb wild hen just isn't worth it.

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well, we saw 3 nice bucks, and about 11 doe. No shots with bow & crossbow, going back for a morning hunt tomorrow. I nearly cut my right ear lobe off in a damn thicket coming out after dark:30. I'm trimming some trails before heading home tomorrow!;) I bled like a stuck pig! :eek:

7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Was gonna hit like till I got to the ear thing. Hope you heal up soon. Congrats on seeing some nice deer. Good luck with them.

xcaliber likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That hurt. That's one thing Judy is on me about because I hunt alone, "what if you get hurt".

xcaliber likes this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, the Wive's don't like it when we leave our own blood out there!

Oppie likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

20171117_105142_resized.jpg

Here is pretty much what I see from the new place I'm going to set up and hunt on Monday. I'm standing on an old overgrown farm road that winds through the thick woods. That opening past the L shaped tree :confused: is about 25 yds from here. I'll set up in a tree that's 10 yards behind me in this pic. A smaller trail comes into that opening, and past the opening is a well used trail that goes up to the only standing corn still left in the fields at the top. Two trails come in from the neighbor's property about 15 yards from this spot, and at least 3 smaller trails come up the steep hill and wind into this road very close by. Not a ridiculous amount of sign, but I did bump deer out below me while scouting. Figured they might bed on the slope. Will give it a shot. It's in 5c, so I still have some time in archery, and almost till the end of January in the late season. Sure beats sitting home.;)

bbahunter likes this.
  11. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Sometimes the spots with not alot of sign are sleeper spots, and produce very well. Jeff, how much corn is still standing? Looks promising.

Oppie likes this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, it probably an acre at least. Kinda scrubby looking, but the deer are definitely hitting it. The other place the boys and I hunted for several years was littered with tracks and droppings, scrapes and rubs. We used to see a lot of deer there. In 2013, I went from mid October until the end of January without seeing a deer!:rolleyes:

Oppie likes this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That's enough land sometimes, Good luck.

jacol84 likes this.
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

His whole property is 13 acres. I'd say about 6 or so is huntable (not too close to the house.) I'm going to set up about 150 yards away from his other friend's ladder stand.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good Luck!

jacol84 likes this.