My opening day stab in the dark.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

new setup.jpg

This is my new setup that I'm going to try tomorrow morning. It's actually my "predator kill suit" draped on a separate shooting rail that I bought at Cabelas yesterday. I have a clamp on tree seat inside that. It's an OK setup, the rail could be a little farther out in the front for me. They are finished logging, but haven't really hauled that much wood out just yet. No idea what to expect other than the two members of the landowning family telling me the deer have been very active. This is about 50 yards uphill from where I shot the buck last year, so there should be a chance at least.;)

Stalker, bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Good luck Jeff. My season opens Sunday, but I won't be hunting until Monday. I've been throwing out a couple carrots and a couple ears of sweet corn every day, and they are now on the Jack Pine welfare program, thinking lunch is free......

xcaliber, Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Cal. Good luck to you too. Sounds like the deer at your place need to meet Huey. I'm sure either one would do the trick!:D

xcaliber likes this.
  4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks Good, hope you have a great season.

jacol84 likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Looks good from here, Can barely see that. Best of luck and keep your face in the wind :).
    I've taken a few deer setting on the ground in the tree tops and it's one my favorite ways to hunt but they can bust you pretty quick sometimes :). I set our blinds up today and put Mrs Judy between two pounded apple trees, closest one is 10 yds farthest is 25 yds, shes good :p .

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, and good luck to all of you. The Patriot is all ready with quiver full of Spitfire Double Cross. I tried to be sure (from what I've seen in the past) I should be to the east of the deer, with a forecast west wind. You know how forecasts can go.:rolleyes:

Oppie, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Those leaves in this wind would drive me nuts!
    I set our blinds on the east side of the wild apple trees, Jude didn't catch on that hers is setup for very close range shots, mine is up hill a hundred yds or so away an I can see most of the area for a over watch position. I'm about 35 yds from several apple trees.

jacol84 likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, I saw one big doe all alone. Just what I would be looking for (without fawns), but she was just about 10-15 min. too early. I perceived her more than saw her at first (you guys know what I mean). By the time I saw her, she was cruising by and came within 10 yards. Didn't react or spook, so that was good. Maybe a bit later and she might have caught a Spitfire. That said, I really am not sure about the rail/blind thing, espcially with a 4" eye relief scope.:rolleyes: Just not enough room to feel comfortable. I think I will start making some blinds next week with all the tree tops that are all over the place.;)

bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nothing came by my pillow this morning, yep I slept in an stayed home. My wife had something going on early today so we planned to go out later this afternoon anyway.
    I plan to hunt the apple trees for a couple weeks then switch to the corn fields.

Don't forget the Orange ribbon's when you build your hiding spots.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Dang I,m not very observant as I seen the shadows on the tree an thought they were straps attached to a latter on the other side of the tree with the stand above out of sight:confused: then after some looking I spotted the stand on the ground that really blends in. great white hunter I,m not :p ,I,m becoming the real deal when it comes to being a pillow hunter. maybe this wind will die down this evening so good luck to all!

11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nothing wrong with that friend :D. We have to cross a open field to get to our blinds and I'd rather do it in the afternoon when the deer are snoozing in the woods instead of mornings when they are already out there munchin on apples.

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good thinking ! that,s why where I hunted I mostly hunted evenings .it was surrounded by private posted ground an without sounding like a bear in a garbage can walking thru the woods in the dark as I have no balance like i,m drunk in low light .hard to sneek in when the deer are already out in the field an watch you coming in.

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Probably what I will eventually get to. I love watching the woods "wake up" in the morning. I like (on the rare occasions when it happens) to shoot a deer first thing in the morning so I can find/deal with it in daylight. That said, I am pretty clumsy in the morning too. My night vision is getting bad. Used to be, I could walk 1/2 to 3/4 mile into the woods, find my tree stand, get all set up in it, and never touch the flashlight. Those days are over. This place seems like more of a "morning place" to me. I can get up above them in the dark and wait. I'll have to do a lot of scouting to find and hunt evening spots. Another place I used to hunt is like you guys talk about, very difficult to hunt in the morning without bumping deer on the way in.

Oppie likes this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Yes ,nothing like watching the woods come alive as the sun rises. I just can,t do it anymore or refuse too crawl out of the bed to go set on something hard:confused: I also like to shoot something in the morning ,be able to see blood an what happened good,not be all tired an have to rush around in the dark but this has happened very few time over the years for archery season because of work ,watching an taking care of my kids.now that I have better morning time I don,t feel like ito_Onow I,m a IPod couch hunter:p

15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It was 5 Pm when I got in my blind, and we did spook one deer out of the open field. I saw a total of 5 deer one was a buck, looked like a really big 4 point, he crossed about 75 yds in front of my wife with a yearling that ran over to a doe and started nursing :D. They all ran away when somebody opened a velcro screen cause her rangefinder won't read thru the mesh :p. And I watched the whole show :).

jacol84 likes this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sometimes hunters are intertaining to watch an more fun than hunting. I been known to hide behind a tree an watch a hunter walk backwards on high alert after hearing some strange bear growls just before dark:rolleyes::p

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I told her when we left the house "this is just a trial run" :), better days are coming. The way the wind was swirling around these hills I'm surprised we even saw any deer.

jacol84 likes this.
  18. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Good luck to you Jeff. ;)

jacol84 likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Grab yourself a nice little folding stool with a swivel seat, they are nice for being portable and comfortable. Then you can setup almost anywhere as the trails an deer change or the wind changes.

jacol84 likes this.