New Centerpoint Sniper

Discussion in 'All Other Crossbow Brands' started by MI_Bowhunter, Aug 2, 2019.

1. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Hello all, been a while since I've been on. New job, got married, father passed, life got complicated....

Finally starting to get a little free time so back at it and just ordered a Sniper 370. Been hearing good things about it for a long time and thought it was time to try it..the price wasn't bad either. Thought it might be a nice upgrade from the Barnett Raptor, the only other compound crossbow I have. (I'm still shooting the Middleton with Matrix Limbs as well)

I'll post my thoughts when I get it next week.

Looks like I bave a bit of catching up to do.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Sorry to hear of your Father passing. Hope your family is well & getting healed through Jesus Christ our Lord. Congrats on the marriage, hope the two of you enjoy success & happiness in all that you do, and remain the best of friends for as long as you live.

MI_Bowhunter and jacol84 like this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Good luck with it. Congrats on the marriage (good luck with that too;)). Sorry about your dad.

MI_Bowhunter and xcaliber like this.
  4. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

New wife and a new job. That sounds right on track and all good. Sorry to hear about your dad though. That's a tough one. Hang in there! You'll make it through.

The Sniper is a solid bow. Did you get the Elite package by chance?

Arrows, trigger, butt stock, scope, sling are all candidates for affordable updates. Enjoy it!

MI_Bowhunter and xcaliber like this.
  5. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Thanks everyone. Its been a rollarcoaster. We bad an Oct wedding. Its on our vows that It can't be held against me if the anniversary falls on a hunting weekend. We've been together going on 14 years, she knows I like to hunt.

I did not get the elite. I have arrows, scope and other accessories so those will be updated right off.

Only other upgrade I can think of is the trigger. I thought someone here had a mod for it but haven't searched it out yet.

xcaliber likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

My eldest daughter was born on November 14th. I was way late to her first birthday party at our house! I still hear about it, like she remembers!:confused::eek: She got married a few years ago on October 29th! I missed three days of bow season dammit!
    :p:cool:

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  7. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

I have a spare side mount bracket for the quiver, which was a big plus from my POV on the Elite package. The $29 FabDefense GShock butt stock "copy" on eBay is another nice, affordable update.

CB CS10.JPG

I think I can get you a deal on that and a trigger update when you get to that point.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  8. Stalker

Stalker Member

The Sniper is a great bow IMO. Its also very easy to customize to your liking. I like the same butt stock and a folding pistol grip fore grip on mine. Along with a tact light I use to help guide the way to my spot:D. Its good to see you back:D 0611171108.jpg

MI_Bowhunter, jacol84 and TX_RDXguy like this.
  9. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Got the bow last night. Despite the outer box looking like it had been abuse by an angry gorilla, the inner box and contents seemed all intact.

My first impressions after checking it out and getting it assembled are good. It is a little front heavy but when I get the scope mounted it may balance out a little better. It seems extreamly solid and sturdy, more so than I expected giving the price. The handguard is a bit of a pain to adjust but thats not a big deal, just an observation.

I probably wont get to shoot it much until Sunday. We are hosting a pig roast this weekend and I am killing myself trying to get everything squared away beforehand.

10. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Front heavy is not a significant issue unless you practice freehand and are a walk and stalk style hunter. In a hunting situation I'm shooting off a rail, a tripod or shooting stick every time it's possible.

Remember to adjust the pull rope / cocking cord so it is short enough to make the pull easy. I'm 5' 9" and typiclly make my pull ropes as short as possible which makes for an easy cocking process and also is a convenient way to store the rope on the xbow when not in use.

Rope CU.JPG

11. Bob Missouri

Bob Missouri Member

Bob Missouri New Member
    New
    Your el cheapo Chinese Compound Crossbow....

**LOOKS COOL**
    and is probably less expensive to buy …. compared to Middleton or Excalibur.

*However, I still consider ALL Compound Bows to be "disposable equipment" .

Did I write that,
    IN MY OPINION 'ALL COMPOUND BOWS' ARE DISPOSABLE EQUIPMENT ?

YES, "regardless of brand or price"
    *** ALL COMPOUND BOWS *** are going to break or fail in some way....
    much sooner than a good quality recurve will.

Good quality RECURVE Crossbows would include :

**TENPOINT** GT FLEX {no longer made... and not a speed demon}
    Middleton Crossbows { perhaps, no longer made ? }

**Excalibur Crossbows { Still in production... recently bought out by BowTech. }

Footnote:
    IF it absolutely, positively has to be an extremely narrow crossbow
    "to fit in your tiny blind" or to be easily carried between trees in dense brush...
    I somewhat understand why you might choose a DISPOSABLE Compound Bow.

In such a situation, I would probably choose a "MICRO EXCALIBUR"....
    ALMOST as narrow as Compound Bows without the *fragile cams and cables*.

Bob Missouri, A moment ago Edit Delete Report

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've had way more problems/twisted and splintered limbs with my Excalibur than I have with my cheap Taiwan made Sniper 370! Not 1 problem with thousands of shots through it.:D

The GT Flex was made by Ten Point not Parker. I believe they stopped making it because no one wanted to but it. :eek:

I'll take 5 Sniper 370's for the price of 1 micro any day:eek: I can shoot faster with heavier arrows just as accurately:p
    Thousands of shots on this one and all I have done is reserve the string. So I'll hang on to my disposable fragile bow:D:D:D

jacol84 likes this.
  13. Bob Missouri

Bob Missouri Member

I am glad the bow with cams and cables is working for some people.

**We each have some freedom to choose which tools we prefer.

I never had a compound bow which worked as it should.

The Matter of Fact: The Barnett Penetrator I had.... was horrible.

GT Flex {whoever made it} was not shooting fast enough
    to remain popular during the race for more arrow speed.

For me, I prefer a recurve crossbow and HEAVY ALUMINUM ARROWS,
    usually 470 to 500+ grains .
    Sometimes, up to 550 grains, or more, depending how thick the animal I will pursue might be.

Replacement limbs vs. replacement cams and cables.... probably cost "about the same"...

Or, maybe recurve limbs cost less.
    Either way, I 'do not need' a bow shop to install recurve limbs or string for me.

No bow is actually perfect.
    I prefer a recurve crossbow... and Excalibur is better than others I have seen.

In fact:
    Presently, Excalibur covers replacement limbs, if needed, *under warranty*. ​
    Do you periodically get new cams, limbs & cables *free under warranty ? ​

14. Stalker

Stalker Member

No not with my Sniper it hasn't needed anything! Yes I have with my KI compound/ limb. Lifetime Warranty like Excals.No need for a press to change string and cables on the Sniper 370 although I do own a inexpensive Nitehawk portable crossbow press and do my own maintenance which amounts to reserving a string and changing strings about every 3 years and maybe a timing adjustment.I had some issues with my Barnett Penetrator. Barnett made it right. It shoots 15 fps faster than advertised over 6 years now. I"m on my fourth set of Excalibur limbs in less than 2 years. Dont get me wrong I like my Excal a lot and shoot 2219's out of it. But Excals are not as bullet proof as some make them out to be! I also like my compounds they are not as high maintenance or as fragile as some make them out to be!

I'm married to neither, To each there own:D

15. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I've lost limbs on my Middleton but never on my Barnett. There are pros and cons to each platform. I like them both. I like the simplicity of a recurve but I like the ease of cocking of a compound when you start getting up in speed.

Had the family pig roast last weekend so never got a chance to shoot. The wife is on the road this weekend so I plan on getting out and shooting a wee bit.

I was working on mounting up the scope tonight. I have a Trophy Ridge XV5309IR I picked up on sale at some point that will make a good starting point for this \bow. Unfortunately I broke a screw on the mount, despite using my torque wrench. DOH. All my other mounts are 1" and this appears to be a 30mm so off to amazon.

Once I get that finished up later this week I'll post some pics.

Stalker likes this.
  16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Good luck with the Sniper. I’ve seen very little trouble with that bow on forums. I got a pair of Vortex 30 mm rings from amazon. Good price and quality, IMO.

Stalker and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  17. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Haha, I ordered the vortex rings.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

Ive got that same scope on my KI Ripper. I wish it were more compact but it works well. It should do fine on a Sniper

19. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I agree. It seems huge co.pared to my XB1 on the Middleton but optical quality is good. Wish it bag green IR as well but not a big deal. Only potential issue I see is tbat the lowest IR setting is still kind of bright.

None is a deal breaker, just me bejng picky.

Looking forward to shooting it this weekend.

As a side what the heck has happened to the price of field tips? Was going to tack some kn to an online order and tbey seem to be around $8-$10 a dozen. What happened to the 12 for a buck. The technology hasn't changed here.

jacol84 likes this.
  20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I don’t have the 530, which I believe is stepless, but my 525 has the same issue. First step illumination is too bright, and I’m too chicken to try the weak battery trick that others use. The reticle is too fine for me to see unlit in really low but legal light. I agree on the field points but got some from Amazon for a good price. I have my reservations about Amazon, as I know their working conditions are bad. Our oldest son worked there for a month after graduating college. He hated it, but it got him off his butt and found an actual career, so...;)