New crossbow bow fishing rig

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Masboy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I took my grand daughters 10-1/2 inch stroke crossbow I made her that,s the old noxtrix an turned It into a first class ,super accurate bowfishing rig .15-1/2 inch arrow with safety slide,long limbs,vortex venom,trigger job,my d97 string,muzzy spinner reel,monkey wire line.much improved over my old one made from shorty that was a good rig.this one has a half inch longer stroke ,metal stirrup,rubbers on the stirrup to hold the line ,thumb hole stock.

I squared an spin tested these arrows as I made them to make sure they had no wobble anywhere.with the bare shafts,saftey slide with no line on them these arrows just chewed out the same hole in my bag at ten yds off hand.my scale only goes to 500g an the arrows are much heavier an guessing 800g .can,t wait to watch my grand daughter get her first fish with this rig ,if she can pry it out of my hands

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Those carp are in a heap of trouble.:D

bbahunter likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

More like a buffalo arrow than a carp arrow, I just didn't realize how thick their heads are :p.

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Plan B needed as I kept blowing the line pickup pin out this morning shooting it :confused:these reels just can,t handle the crossbow launch speed needed for bowfishing. I will get the AMS pro retriever ,then I can use my matrix limbs. then i will have enough power to thump big hard headed carp,cats even on long shots:D

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

There ya go, that'll work.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

image.png I supercharged my bowfishing rig this morning,it now has matrix limbs,40 strand d97 string.i had to add a piece of rubber hose behind the string slide to keep the hard plastic slide from damaging the stop on the launch.lots of trial,error with these hard launching crossbows :confused::p
    image.png

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nice! With matrix limbs the arrows won't be bouncing off carp heads :p.

jacol84 likes this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Maybe lol,I don,t use a real a pointy point that penetrates great because they get damaged after a couple shots hitting the bottom. mine now hold up good but are not the best for penetration.i go for the big thump in the hard head knockout now:p

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

:) think you could use a dowel rod instead of a +500 gr arrow and get the same effect with that setup :p.
    Dam I love redneck engineering, we get results!!

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Light arrows not good for penetrating deeper water ,I read most full length 30 inch carp arrows with heavy tips weigh around 1600 gr. I shot them full length from this short bow with matrix limbs an they shoot good but long,slow it quite a bit.i,m alittle different than most bow fisherman as I shoot off a bridge quite often ,take some long shots.

11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Like getting hit with a truck, poor little carp getting slammed. Darn good fertilizer for the garden.

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

All good burying them in the garden in the yard ,till the dog started digging them up an drag them around :confused: then the wife would come out an tell me I didn,t bury them deep enougho_O I would say I did :rolleyes:that,s when the fights would start :mad: ,from then on I would just throw them in the garden an let her figure out where the hole was,how deep:p

Oppie likes this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good times :D. I went through the same episode with shrimp shells in the garden, until the dog decided to bring them back inside with him for a snack later on, and that's when the fight started :p.

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We're just bad boys that can,t do anything right :confused: we can,t even bury anything an keep it down :p when the wife sees the size of the hole I dig in the garden this year with my tractor bucket ,she will stay away an leave me alone :oops::cool:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I had to go back to the long limbs ,as the bow kept distorting the saftey slide stop with the matrix limbs. must be a real thump when the bow shoots on the launch as the saftey slide slides back to the stop.alls good as I changed the limbs ,took some down pressure off the string , alittle tinkering an I got it shooting good with no problems now.it,s better as I don,t need the rope cocker an just hand cock it.i,ll just get better penetrating heads.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m always changing things to get things the way I want that seem better an easier to use. Put on this Williams big hole peep ,that a small aluminum arrow insert fits in for a smaller hole if I want.like said these bows are my Legos :p
    image.png

jacol84, Munch007 and xcaliber like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have the same problem :). I've been told to stop "fixing" things that don't need fixing ;). That's why I can't have brand new toys anymore :(.

jacol84 and Munch007 like this.