Not today, little guy.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Oct 12, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, my season could have ended with my first "real" hunt. (Last weeks, humid, mosquito fest doesn't count.);) Went to my new setup farther up the mountain. Seemed to be a lot of tracks and droppings, along with 2 well used trails that crossed each other at an angle. Between the wind today and the soft ground from all the rain, the deer seem to be showing up like ghosts, no sound at all. I looked up, and there he was. I could tell at second glance it was a buck. He moved off the trail, which was 25 yards, and started rubbing a small tree, at 30-32 yards. I just took a separate shooting rail up for the stand today, and my crosshair was rock solid on the chest as he rubbed the tree, just slightly quartering away. That went on a good 20 seconds, so I had enough time to size up the rack. Darn near perfect shot, but he was a small 8. Fairly thin antlers, maybe 13-14" spread, and points not that long. My thumb was on the safety, but I could not drop the hammer on one that small on my first day of the season.:rolleyes: I'm sure Brian's bow was not pleased, but I know there should be bigger ones around.:)

xcaliber, Stalker and 8ptbuk like this.
  2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Sounds like a great hunt Jeff, nothing wrong with holding out for something bigger.;)
    I have a feeling your 380 will eat soon. ;)

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Congrat,s Jeff! I call that a satisfaction kill without all the work an you get to keep hunting.when my kids were younger they wanted to know why I killed all the larger bucks ,I told them by not shooting the first smaller ones you see :p

xcaliber, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks guys. Frank, a similar quote was replaying in my head. I really thought the setup would be a better morning spot than evening. Better shot angles as they come up the hill in the AM. Still pleased to see deer. My youngest son and I have hunted this property for close to 10 years now, and historically, that would have been one of the medium/smaller bucks. We've seen some 10-12 pts. with 18-20" spreads over the years. Probably would have shot him in the last week of the season, and I may go without venison because of my choice, but so be it. Also, in the 5c spot that belongs to my friend's neighbor, there are some 3-4" trees all rubbed up with the rubbings on the ground. The one place I think will be prime, we didn't even look at yet. I can only hunt there when I go with him, and the primary focus is getting him a buck, but there's certainly potential there too.:D

Oh, and in 5c, the first season lasts until the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and the late season is nearly the entire month of January.:D

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That sounds good! I forgot I also told the boys , you go without getting anything lots of times waiting for a nice one. they didn,t want to hear that an it took many years for them to not to shoot the first buck they seen.(like father like son ):p as I learned the hard way why I wasn,t getting mature bucks when I was younger.now it depends on what I feel like shooting an when :p

xcaliber likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Took a while for the Apprentice to understand that too.

7. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I will say this guys, there are some places if you want venison it may not be wise to not shoot the first legal deer you have any opportunity at. Just don't see alot of deer.:confused:
    This is not Jeff's situation as it seems he has a good amount deer around, and he seems content if he doesn't get venison, i respect that.
    So, if you want venison first and foremost, drop the hammer :D
    Not all areas are created equal.;)

Stalker, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

A few years back, any legal buck early on would get a ride in the truck, but Indiana imposed the " One Buck Law" so I hold out now. We are fortunate with a heavy deer population here so it does change the playing field. Good Point Brian, in densely populated areas you might only get that one chance.

bbahunter likes this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I totally agree Brian,when I was younger if you didn,t shoot the first buck you seen you would be very lucky to get another chance . lots of hunters everywhere ,deer drives ,limited good places to hunt ,lack of knowledge. bow hunting at a early age made me a much better hunter later on ,as I learned where I should be hunting an it,s not how far you can see :pnow I only hunt the best funnels that lead to going in an coming out of thickets . I love long thick narrow runways that join one thicket to another.

10. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Frank, early on in PA you had a hard time seeing deer? I knew people who went there every year religously and they would see a ton of deer.
    Iam guessing you are in a part of PA that didn't have as many deer as the other parts of PA.?
    That again goes to show not all areas are alike even within the same state. :eek::D
    You seem to do well now on the deer hunting though, when your not fishing. :D;)

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When I was a kid my grandfather had a camp in potter county ,lots of others had hunting camps up north with lots of deer. we were not so lucky in our souther PA location. they shot most of the doe off thinking we had to many like potter county:confused: I don,t know who run the game commission ,but who ever did knew nothing about our deer. still to many doe killed on our great farm land around here with plenty of cover,food to support many more deer.

jacol84, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, we started a bonus doe permit program in Indiana in the late 80's, and limit the number by county. All public hunting land used to honor the bonus permits until about 2002. They finally figured out that archer's & muzzle loader hunter's were already thinning the doe populations on Public Land. State wide is pretty good these days!

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Brian. I wouldn't say there's a lot of deer up on the mountain. Not a ton of sign. I probably wouldn't pass on a medium 8 like I saw last year. This one was smaller. Most years, only a few bucks were killed up there. In 2012, I killed my biggest buck, and 6 other bucks were killed on the property, including a big 12 pt. Since then, I have not seen quite the quality we saw before that year, but bucks somewhat bigger than the one I passed up are common - when I see them.;)

Oh, and one thing about PA, there are certainly places where the deer are very thick. Some places where good bucks are reasonably common, though nothing like Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, and places like that. Other places, especially where landowners permit hunting, there are far fewer deer and less quality. If you are any place close to where Amish or Mennonite families actively hunt, the deer population is going to be pretty low, stressed, and plenty spooky.;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

10:22:18 from the stand.jpg

Thought I'd show you guys what my best spot looks like.;) We finised the harvest for the project yesterday with the last row and a half of carrots.:D This week still busy with stuff, but starting next week, I plan to spend a lot of time either here, or my other stand on the east side of the property. The trail going up the mountain is pretty easy to see, and 2 doe went up it (l to r on the pic) this morning. The old logging road is harder to make out, but it basically runs from the mid-left of the pic and ends (on the pic) behind the grey birch tree above the Patriot 380's foot stirrup. It's one if the few easy paths along the mountain, most run up and down it. About a half hour after I took this pic, a 6" spikey came towards me on that road from the west, worked past me, then came back through about 30 min. after that.:) My hope is, in a week or two (or three), his grandfather does the same thing looking for doe.;) None of the deer seemed to know I was there.:) Just an fyi, I am using a new Muddy Boss treestand here, and I really like it so far. Seat is very comfortable. Pretty good cheap (though Chinese, I suppose) stand.

xcaliber, Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Fine looking spot,nice distance off the trail for a great shot. I see lots setting up right beside the trail an on it an getting busted :confused: ( don,t ask how I know that :p) good luck with a bigun!

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  16. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Looks like a nice spot Jeff. And it is nice you are seeing deer. ;)

xcaliber, Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  17. Stalker

Stalker Member

X2! What broad head is that Jeff? True Glo? Double Cross? How do you practice/sight in with it?

xcaliber likes this.
  18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, it s Truglo Titanium X 4 blade. I have 2 Spitfire DCs in the quiver. Truglos can be shot into my Rinehart quite a bit, they are pretty tough heads. I changed the blades, but they were sharpenable after many shots.

Stalker likes this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Eight doe this afternoon/evening. Most walking quickly and a bit skittish. The last two were looking behind them and I got my hopes up, but no buck followed them.:( Still haven't gotten busted in this stand, so that's a plus.:)

bbahunter, xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Fine the does an they will come soon:p only for me the doe seem to hide early when they know the bucks are after them o_O

bbahunter and xcaliber like this.