Not today, little guy.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Oct 12, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, my misadventures continue.:rolleyes: In my stand on the east side of the property today. Early this evening, probably a hour and a half before sunset, a spike and a little 3 came down the trail, past me at 15 yards. Never looked over.:) About 15 min. later, here comes a doe. When she's about 20 yards from my best opening on that trail, she stops. As she's checking things out, I can just barely see another deer through the leaves/branches. After a min. or so, the doe moves off the trail and comes straight at me.:eek: Gets in to 10 yards, and keeps to my right uphill from my tree.:mad: The buck following comes right down to the place she stopped, and seemed to be making up his mind. He wasn't any bigger than the buck I passed on a while ago, but lighter colored and thicker antlers. Not really what I've been looking for, but with tag soup from last year still on my mind, I decided if he comes down the trail, I'm gonna shoot him. Of course, he turns to his left and follows the doe. He came in towards me, and stops at about 15 yds. Covered up with a branch full of leaves, but no way to raise the bow and aim with a doe within 10 yards and clear.:( Soon, they both bolt back up the hill.:rolleyes: Still had the wind, didn't move, what happened? In another min. I hear noise below me. Soon here somes a bowhunter with a climing stand on his back.:rolleyes: It was early for the deer to be moving, but pretty late (IMO) to be setting up a climber. I've been hunting this place for 10 years. In that time, I've seen only 2 other hunters in archery season. This guy made it 3, and I know why the deer stopped and then bolted back up the hill.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s hunting :confused: at least you seen some deer ,many times I have seen nothing an call it a good hunt when I see deer.mabye you will get a big boy now as things seem to happen for a reason.good luck!
    i hate it when I see other hunters from my archery stands :mad: just ruins my hunt ,thinking i,m there alone .one of my main deer hunting strategies when picking a spot is ,where will there be some deer an no hunters. deer seem to think that way also :p

3. Stalker

Stalker Member

Yeah that is a bummer. At least it wasn't some giant trophy you have been waiting to see.

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

11:10 X trail.jpg
    11:10 X trail 2.jpg

Well, today is the last day of PA statewide archery, so I decided to go sit in my upper stand where I saw the small 8 pt on Oct. 12. Saw the spike cruising the logging road, looking like a bird dog sniffing around. Then a rack buck (visible, but not really big) pushed two doe up the hill. A little doe ran/trotted to the corner of the X and then headed up the mountain. The buck and the other doe did not get closer than maybe 70 yards. Probably less than 5 min. after I took these pics, a big mature doe came up the hill, just off the the right (on these pics) of the X. She would have been an easy shot if I was hunting her and had a tag. She was holding her tail funny at first, and I was hoping to see a buck following her, but none showed itself. Wednesday's decision to shoot the 7 pt. is looking pretty good.;)

xcaliber, Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds exciting! they extended season an you can hunt Monday nov 12

6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks Frank. Good luck if you get out. My stands and ladders are all in the shed now. I do have a 3rd stand out on a property in 5c, but I'm not likely to go out to shoot a doe. I did meet another hunter when I was taking my stand down, and man, are there gonna be a ton of hunters up there when gun season opens.:eek: Guys putting stands within 30-50 yards of each other.:rolleyes: Sorry I'm gonna miss that.;)

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good old orange invasion :confused: that,s why I boat hunt.
    I remember when I was a kid I hunted this big farm field surrounded by woods. I had quite a few stands around this field an another local guy hunted there also. he brought in his brother inlaw an his friends from Delaware ,they built a bunch of stands close to my stands:mad: I took the old 870 with lots of shells an blowed them all to pieces an they never came back :eek::p

xcaliber, bbahunter and jacol84 like this.