Ok ... Let's try this again

Discussion in 'Middleton Crossbows' started by Munch007, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

After the lessons of my recent misadventures, I'm hoping to get back on track ... with a New respect for the crossbow.
    Heading to the lil brothers place tomorrow again do some more tweekin and shootin and a friendly game
    (poker tomorrow night, and daddy needs a new pair of limbs) ;)
    Well before I got stupid and blewup my bow I was attempting to get the scope lined up ...
    (I've fed that cornfield enough arrows)
    Thought I would start with getting the dials under my control and optically zeroing by using the mirror 20190404_104043.jpg twisting the knobs till the crosshairs reflection is on the true crosshairs. You can't really get the view here but 20190404_104135.jpg then set up the tripod and got the little level out, got everything all plumb 20190404_104824.jpg setup the new tinkering toy 20190404_111117.jpg and ... bingo! That's more encouraging! 20190404_111158.jpg should be just left of center at 20yds according to my calculations.
    But that should get me "on paper"
    Now ...
    sry, had to take a moment as I relived the moment of dumbassedness :mad:
    Lol ... my pre shoot routine will be anal tomorrow ...
    "Paranoia may Destroy ya" duh da dada dada duh ... man I can't get that song out of my head now ... lol

Stalker likes this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good luck! I've never heard of your mirror trick, very interesting.

Munch007 likes this.
  3. robertyb

robertyb Member

You should sight in at 10 yards dead on then move out to tweek it if necessary.

Munch007 likes this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good luck! heavy arrows,heavy string tame any bow,take up lots of the shock an make the limbs much more reliable .

Munch007 likes this.
  5. Munch007

Munch007 Member

All righty then! We've got info on the first recorded session on my skills and the Middleton.
    Short storyline, adequate but unimpressive. The Day was nice but a little bit windy. Setup the same way as last week ... lol, because I could shoot from the big Comfy chair 20190406_185517.jpg ran sspeeds from 287 up through 305 fps. using carbon Express Surge and Zombie Slayers with 100 & 150g fieldpoint tips in the different configurations. I actually used a Mayhem to get the 305fps all were under the 500g level I do believe.
    Started out at 10yds and confirmed my adjustments were working. Then moved back to the 20yd range of the shop and my comfy chair and fired away. 20190407_213005.jpg marked the shots as yds-shot#
    ( elevation clicks^ windage <)
    Didn't even consider the wind till around the 5th shot ... wondering why I'm so far right all the time, even though I'm adjusting up and left on the scope ;)

6. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Ps: the "Block" target works very well!
    Although ... a knee and a good twist with significant but not challenging efforts were needed to get the arrows out. Pretty much stopping at 8-9" 20190322_181214.jpg

7. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Pss: poker was ... adequate but unimpressive ... lol
    Jk ... it was another fine evening around the table got 3games in and just like gambling, ya win some, ya loose some, if you're lucky you walk away up 20$ for your time ;)

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Takes a pretty stong wind to move a arrow very much at 20yds. 5 inch feathers the worst in the wind I've shot. what I do is shoot 1 shot ,then holding the crosshair or whatever aim point on the center from a solid rest where I aimed,I adjust the crosshair to the hole of the first shot. saves lots of time an guessing how many clicks to move.

Munch007 likes this.
  9. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Ya, ... I was thinking it's more of an operator error than wind drift ...
    but the wind was gusty ... ;)
    The other thing I noticed as I was packing up, the scope mount had loosened itself off. I think I may have to disassemble everything, clean up the fasteners and reset everything with new Loctite. She's got a nice little kick to it when she's fired. Couldn't follow the shots, just saw a flick of the fletch as it left the bow then the "whack" into the target.
    It surely has humbled me and my "Robin Hood" skills. ;)
    It's gonna take me practice to get use to this beastie and get 'er dialled in.
    But, I will call this a successful session. All the shots hit the target, nothing broken and no bloodshed!
    ;)

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've been doing that mirror trick for years. Its also good for checking to see if your turrets are working correctly. Also will show you if the scope is holding zero without shooting it. Center the cross hairs then give a few good thumps on your palm simulating shooting and recheck.

Oppie and Munch007 like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks, good to know.